Banner Ad 1

UFO SKYDIVER

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: UFO SKYDIVER

Postby Al Nuci » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:37 pm

Very Nice!! straight as an arrow, but then for a man of your yout, is it any wonder. Yes, I can almost remember when I was 22 yrs young.
No really, a very precise cut, I'm going to take a few drinks to steady my hand before I get around to cutting that next hull line, for sure. Keep up the good work!
Al Nuci

Postby greenman407 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks Al! I forgot to mention that with the rotation of the Dremel, it throws the debris to the rear. I sometimes prefer to cut pulling the blade toward me. I couldnt do that because the debris was covering the line. If you go forward the line stays clean.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:32 am

Here are the strips that I cut out of plastic sheet to form the hatch hold down system.
This picture shows the edge of the cutout. You can see where I have gone over it with the sanding drum attachment of the Dremel to make the area more uniform in thickness.

These two pictures show the bottom hull and the slots that I have begun to cut in to allow the sub to take on water. Also I scribbed in the Chevrolet Bowtie as well.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby mamas » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Hello All, Just a short word to say hi and I'm very happy to be a part of this Site. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a happy new year. :D
mamas

Postby greenman407 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:49 am

Good to have you on board Mamas! Please feel free to contribute to this thread at anytime. :D
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Here is an update on my recent progress.

Here I have used cohesive cement to join the plastic strips together and then shaped them to serve. In the last pic I am holding it in place.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:44 pm

As you patiently wait for me to add to this thread please have a seat in the customer lounge and watch a movie or two. While you are there please take advantage of our complimentary snacks and sodas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMN4Ef9JtzI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDuSPn0k ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzEfNajt ... re_related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSO00MeY ... re=related
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:31 pm

In order to attach the now removable piece , I bought these from Mcmaster&Carr.

They are a stainless 6-32 screw with an undercut head and a stainless captive nut of the broach variety.
greenman407

Postby Collins Class » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:12 am

So I finally received my package from Mamas today with my 3 foot Skydiver. I haven't unwrapped any of the pieces yet but will do so tomorrow and take photos.

Mark, continuing to follow your build with interest. Have you worked out what size WTC you are going to fit? My thought is to have separate battery, ballast, and electronics compartments in one larger WTC and two propulsion WTCs drive the pumpjets. I may make the battery WTC separate though simply so I only have to remove one smaller wtc on an ongoing basis.

Byron
Byron

Thunder Tiger Neptune with video
Many works in progress, including me ;)
Collins Class
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:13 am

Byron, on page two of this thread I provide a link to the propullsors that I am going to waterproff and install. As far as the WTC is concerned it looks like Im going to have 17" of room to play with after cutting open the top. "Rogue Subs" has a sectional WTC that Im going to order custom made to fit. Looks like a 8" ballast section and a 6 1/2" dry space with about 1 1/2" space in the middle will fit. The batteries will either have to go inside Sky or on both sides of the WTC for balance.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Havent got much done. Just filing out some of the holes.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:01 pm

As you can see I have epoxied the support rails in place for the removable lid. The problem I am experiencing is that after cutting out the section it is slowly warping. Therefore I will need a screw on each corner to attach it and hold it flat. A work in progress.
greenman407

Postby Art Broder » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm

It looks like you might be able to attach the support rails under the removeable hatch and bend it to snap it in place and remove it. If that would work, you could eliminate the screws.
Art
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Perhaps it could be possible. The warp is not only lengthwise but also width wise. To get the tabs just right would be difficult. :| Also be warned that the laid up fiberglass in this area is thin and brittle. Dont ask me how I know. :shock:
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:55 pm

I neglected to show the cockpit canopy. It is made up of the clear inner portion and the white outer portion. You have to cut in your windows. Ill probably leave out the clear window.
Also here is a paint sample that Mamas sent me that I will use when it comes time to paint.
greenman407

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads