Banner Ad 1

Scale Ship Oscar 2

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Scale Ship Oscar 2

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 pm

last time I tried to do what you are doing now Mark I used a 1" dowel and a dead blow hammer. Ended up breaking the that inner bulkhead as I had apparently placed it on the thinnest spot on the cap. Your way seems to have treated you much better.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby greenman407 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:00 pm

This is my first one and Im happy that it went well. Hopefully its not something that Ill have to do too often. Kinda takes time and effort away from my other projects.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:28 am

Sunday afternoon she was put thru her paces at the sub pond. After inspection at the end of an hour there wasnt a drop of water in the Subdriver. That wasnt so bad now was it? Cool! 8)
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby Al Nuci » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:07 pm

That's great news, I bet it made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, No, actually that repair saved you alot of money.
Now, I'm wondering if this boat of yours is one of the new Russian secret subs, which prohibts by law the taking of any video of it's capabilities. Maybe so. :lol:
Al Nuci

Postby greenman407 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:14 pm

One thing she was doing that I didnt like was she would ride with her nose down and tail up with the rudder sticking up out of the water. And she would just stay that way.......perfectly. I figured that because of that, it was going to boil down to a mis-adjusted APC. Sure enough the ADFs adjustment was off, it was way out of the bubble if you will. My confidence is that now that the ADF is back on track, next time I go out it will track beautifully once again. This coming weekend she will be in the water again to test the new ADF settings and some new brass props. We will see how much thrust she delivers and what kind of speed she will reach. Keep in mind that this is a nuclear powered sub with two(2) reactors online. In case we have to try to get away from a Seawolf, Astute or a Trafalgar we will need everything shes got! We might have to go 120% on the reactors. :)
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:19 pm

I think the new KGB is watching me! Everytime I take the Oscar out I feel like im being watched. Heh! whats that black sedan with the smoked out windows doing over there. Its always over there. :shock:
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Alright, I took her out again on Friday with a new modifacation.

New brass props. In a thrust test I got almost 3 lbs. of static pull out of her, way more than even the original props gave. The pitch on the originals must have been too much for the motor / gearbox combo. These props definately have a lower pitch and less blade area. Why do I need so much power? Because I have been in several situations where in strong current and wind I was being washed away and I couldnt do anything about it. Well NO MORE I SAY! :D
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:47 am

With the new props and running a Vislero 3200 mah 3 cell LIPO I achieved 2-1/4 hours running before the Lipo guards started shutting her down. And that was with plenty of Port astern full and Starboard ahead 1/3 to slew the boat around at the end of the lake to head back the other way. I believe that these props are pretty much typical in that they are way more efficient in forward than reverse. When slewing the boat around it always takes way more reverse on one prop to match the forward thrust of the other prop. So when the boat starts to move forward or reverse I just modulate one or the other to compensate. Once we have our nose pointed in the right direction its all ahead standard for another run.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Another issue that I am having is that the boat is continuing to give me difficulty in achieving a steady periscope depth operation. I believe that the ADF is functioning properly. If you remember a short time ago I posted about removing the short horn off of the dive plane linkage and replacing it with a longer one with multiple holes for adjustment. I believe thats where the problem lies. I need to move the adjustment to give me more throw. I think that , that will take care of it. I made the adjustment with much difficulty and will test it this coming weekend. I hope that , that will be the end of it. Also I would like to make mention of the fact that the waterproffed servo that operates the bow planes is still going strong, no problems.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:22 pm

http://www.vimeo.com/18214255
This video shows the Snort system in operation. Although the Oscar is out of trim at this point it still serves the purpose of showing a scalelike realism of using the snort to surface. At some point in the future when I have some help taking the video I will do the same thing with it in forward motion, decks awash.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:27 pm

In the video you can see the antenna sticking out of the sail that I use as a vent for the snort system. In real life it is painted yellow. Well in its present form (white) it helps me to maintain visual contact with the sub when the water is dark. Also note these pictures.

Image Here you can see a booboo that I covered up using Bondo. Note how much the patch has shrunk. This time last year it was perfect.

Image Compare these two pictures to the bottom one and note the bow wave of the 63" model and the full size ship. They are very similar are they not?

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Started working on the hull indexer to align and attach upper hull to bottom hull at Z cut. Since the rear section is mis-shapen it is difficult.

Now the next order of business is to attach the frames in there places. It will be difficult because it involves changing the as cast shape so that the two surfaces match. This has been the only issue that I have against the Scale ships Oscar.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:37 am

Image As you can see im using threaded rod to pull the stern housing into alignment with the template. Then I glued the indexer in using this 3m product. Believe me when I tell you it will never come loose. There is no mixing, just put it on and wipe off the excess.

greenman407

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Best to use an epoxy filler like milliput fine white for filling areas like the back of the sail- zero shrinkage and much stonger than polyester filler.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Subculture, thanks for the input. Is that filler available in the states? Sounds European. I just ordered some Evercoat metal glaze and some Easysand.
greenman407

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads