Banner Ad 1

Need Parts Info. Please

R/C Submarine modelers

Need Parts Info. Please

Postby Jure George » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:49 am

Hello

I am in the SLOW process of getting All the parts together to build a few WTC for my needs. First I plan on using the Air bladder type of design, use the air from the WTC to inflate a bladder to displace the water then have the air return to the WTC to dive the sub.

From everything I read and heard, the shaft seals, subtech line of them, use an O-ring But in the WTC air bladder system, the Vacuum created had those seals leak. I heard/read that there was a fix to that, a different seal was installed in place of the basic O-ring, I think it was an X ring ? something like that in a cross section cut, might even be called " cup seals" ??

Could someone please tell me what the exact size of the seals are and where I can find them? I have heard that McMaster Carr is a Good Source, any exact part numbers would be Greatly Appreciated! Also the air bladder used, does it have to be Two lines to the bag OR can a single line to the bag be o.k? I have Several Hulls waiting for WTC to be built and I would like to get started.

I guess I need a List of All basic mechanical parts that go into a WTC Air Bladder system and the best source for them and part numbers please.

Its a Long request list and I Thank You for Your Time / Help that you give me.

Thanks, George
Geroge Tonkovic
Jure George

Re: Need Parts Info. Please

Postby Boss subfixer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:11 am

George,
Here are the two part numbers I use for seals. One is a standard round o ring and the other is a quad seal. If you already have the sub tech type seals these will fit as far as the outside diameter is concerned but you need to make sure the inside diameter is right for your shafts that are exiting the WTC. I say that because you didn't say what scale boats you have. The part numbers I referenced have an 1/4" outside diameter and an 1/8" inside diameter. They are sold in lots of 100 and are not expensive at all. I've also heard that standard o rings tend to leak and had that happen myself but in my case the o rings were old. I changed over to the quad seals and have had no leaks since. Others say they have no problems with standard o rings at all.
Standard o ring.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9452k123/=9tb3g6
Quad seal o ring
http://www.mcmaster.com/#90025k123/=9tb2zk

I can't help much with the bladder information. The ones I have either came as part of a kit from Big Dave or I've gotten them as surplus from fellow members. I can say that at least one of the bladders I have has two lines. Just pick one to use and cut the other one to an inch or two in length double it over and use a wire tie to secure it. Or you can insert a plug in the short line. There is more than one way to skin that cat. I suggest getting in contact with Dave Welch (Big Dave's Designs) or even Kevin Price (Rogue Sub works), they are both a wealth of information on parts and where to get them and great to deal with. As a matter of fact Kevin did an extensive PDF how to for a home built RCABS WTC. You can find and down load that from here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachme ... id=3388038
Hope this helps.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Re: Need Parts Info. Please

Postby Jure George » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Thanks For the info. it helps alot.

George
Geroge Tonkovic
Jure George