Banner Ad 1

72 scale rigging

Static Submarine modelers unite!

72 scale rigging

Postby modelnut » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Guys!

I need to replace the rigging on the Revell 72 scale VIIc u-boat. I also need to fabricate the insulators if I can. Can you give me some tips?

I have two gauges of floral wire and thin mono-filament fishing line. I tried to find fine copper wire at Radio Shack but I am twenty years too late. They don't sell that anymore. There is FOR SALE sign lying about and the odd bare sprue. That's what I have as far as materials. What would you do first?

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Re: 72 scale rigging

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Leelan,

For the antenna wire, monofilament should work fine. I often use the black colored line so that painting isn't required. An alternative would be to find elastic thread (can be found at a sewing store). The elastic makes it a bit easier to get the antenna lines nice and tight.

For the insulators, you can buy them at a hobby shop that carries model ship fittings or make them from chunks of plastic. Given the scale (1/72nd), I'd think that buying some might be the best way.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:49 am

Sadly, the hobby shop closed down a few years ago. I am pretty much limited to finding specialized parts online. There is a Michael's here however. But it is at least 45 minutes away. (I moved my family WAAAAY out in the country. I didn't want Kayleigh going to one of the city high schools. Many parents advised me that they are way too rough.) I've gone through the craft section at Walmart though. They didn't have any beads anywhere near small enough. I will try Michael's after work tomorrow.

- Leelan

P.S. Someone just sent me this thread that has an amazing build of this very kit. :shock:
I don't think I want to go that overboard. I don't have either the patience or the tools necessary . . .
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:24 am

Here are the pertinent bits from that thread I just posted. I wanted to comment and ask questions but that forum does not take anyone who uses free email services. Oh well. I can still access the thread and its images. I can still learn a lot that way.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler