Banner Ad 1

Submarine Works 1/96 Ohio

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Submarine Works 1/96 Ohio

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:29 pm

well I bought some specialty equipment from airplanes to try and get all my mechanisms to work. Mainly the rams used in landing gear and bomb bay doors. We will see how they look when they show up.

Next I replaced my bag system with a gas system. As stated before the bag just didnt have enough lift. To ensure I had enough this time, I put a .5gal 4"od lexan ballast tank in it with a gas air source. The RI was to be my test bed for my new MCS system.

As you can see I have left LOTS of room for the missile system. Another big benefit of switching from my RCAB wtc to my MCS.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Rogue Sub » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:29 am

Finally I installed a prototype version of my engine room module to verify my overall principals would work.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Rogue Sub » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:10 pm

After several test runs at the local indoor pool in RI it became obvious that the new system worked like a champion. The only problem was that the current engineroom module was much to large at 3.5"od to be easily transferable to other submarines so the system could truly be interchangeable. After a few design changes and some engineering input/assistance from Mr. Thor a newer more refined version was born and installed. The new version sported a much smaller motor but has a much larger gear reduction allowing it to turn just about any prop I want to hook up to it. A good thing when the ohio prop is 3.25" in diameter.

Sorry for the fuzzy photos I will do better later.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Thor » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:33 pm

Guys,

Please note that Kevin has really done his homework here. He has spent a tremendous amount of time working this unit up. The gearbox he has selected is the finest available and has incredible torque with overall very good mechanical efficiency. This unit is also capable of running much larger subs. He has several units in testing right now and is making sure that his product functions flawlessly before releasing for production. This unit should set the gold standard for ballast systems.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 am

Kevin, I can see the pushrod going thru to release gas into the ballast tank but where oh where is the vent valve that I would expect to see on top? :?: :!: :?
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:59 am

Its not on top like you would see with some other set ups. Doing so can result in over complex mechanisms and I also did not want to re use designs from other people if possible. If you look at the rear of the cylinder there is a valve that opens like a poppet valve with a neoprene seal.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby greenman407 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:12 am

Is it close to the top to be able to vent all the air or is it a case of using a cyl. thats too big so that you dont have to vent it all?
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:14 am

Is this cyl. and parts for sale? Ive got a project( you know) and im going to need a cyl.
greenman407

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:13 am

Yes mark its at the very top of the cylunders inside diameter.

As for sales. Yes mark I am producing this cylinder at limited quantities untill I have stream lined the production process further. If yoy are interested feel free to contact me.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby greenman407 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:17 am

Ill call you this afternoon.
greenman407

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:30 am

Sure thing Mark. Btw if you want to see th Ballast system and batter comp up close my dad has a set up in his type 7 down where you are. His engine room is a bit different as he had specific needs he wanted met and I can't tell him no :)
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby greenman407 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks, but unfortunately I dont believe we live too close, Im sure its a couple of hours or more.
greenman407

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Its true. I also thought you had. Devils den run coming up. I believe I heard warren mention something about planning to go down there.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Thor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:04 pm

This vent system works very, very well. It is at the top dead center of the BT cylinder on the end bulkhead, so it vents completely and quickly.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Looks good and sounds like just the ticket.
greenman407

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads