Banner Ad 1

Copyright Infringement!

R/C Submarine modelers

Copyright Infringement!

Postby John @ WEM » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:48 am

Just a heads-up folks, so say that Dave Manley of Small World Models has outright copied the color guide from our 1/350 HMS Trenchant kit for his 1/96 R/C kit, right down to the ship's crest and notes at the bottom of the page. The only change he made was to delete the color references for our Colourcoats paints. We don't appreciate having our copyrighted research ripped off, and will be taking appropriate action. For those interested, his color guide (complete with the British spelling of "Colour") appears in this review:

http://www.bcliffe.com/subs/Trenchant.html
John Snyder
The Token Yank
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
John @ WEM

Re: Copyright Infringement!

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:27 am

John,

A couple of observations:

1) The link that you provided is a build review by a *customer*. There is no copyright infringement by Dave Manley that I see here.
2) A quick read through did not show me that Dave Manley includes that color scheme graphic with his kit.
3) This web page is several years old.
4) I believe that Dave Manley has stopped producing r/c sub hulls.
5) It's not clear what parts of that graphic can be copyrighted? Certainly the ship's crest and color scheme are public....or possible Royal Crown copyrighted material...but no one elses.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 am

Jeff,

I agree with you. I deal quite extensively with copy rights in the engineering world. Even if this information was copied, I do not believe that the material is copy rightable. There is a big distinction there.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:51 pm

our forum rules clearly state
Submitted by Myles Yancey in President's Corner in Jan. 2009:

Rules for Posting a Complaint about a Vendor or their Products

1) Before posting a complaint about a vendor or their products you must first contact the vendor and try and resolve the problem with the vendor first.

The SC and it's forum is no party in your dispute. take it elsewhere.
preferrably to the guy you have the argument with. that tends to be the most effective.
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby bcliffe » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:05 pm

John,

Please note this has nothing to do with Small World Models, this is simply a web page I personally wrote for kicks. PM me, we can take this offline, and I can take the image down if you desire.

Cheers
Ben
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

RETRACTION!

Postby John @ WEM » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:31 pm

I have been in touch with Dave Manley, and he is NOT the guilty party with regard to unauthorized copying of our Trenchant color chart. Thanks to Kurt Greiner for putting me in touch with Dave.

I note Ben's post above. It would have been nice if we had been contacted first, and if the specific references to our paints had been left intact.

At any rate, I owe Dave an abject public apology for my shoot-first-ask-questions-later approach on this issue.
John Snyder
The Token Yank
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
John @ WEM

Re: RETRACTION!

Postby bcliffe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:19 am

John @ WEM wrote:I note Ben's post above. It would have been nice if we had been contacted first, and if the specific references to our paints had been left intact.

John, you are correct I wrote the web page back in 2004, quite a while ago and didn't know any better then.

One thing I do want to clarify though is I did "NOT" alter the material I posted in any way. I received a copy of the colour guide when I purchased your 1/350 kit sometime early this decade. It still hangs on my workroom wall and in this version the recommended paints are not included.

I have updated the web page with appropriate credit, hope it works for you.

Cheers
Ben
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Postby Novagator » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:33 pm

First, unless you have register you plans with the Library of Congress, any law suit is a non starter. If both are based on replicating a real British sub with the same scheme, you sol too.
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler