Banner Ad 1

UFO SKYDIVER

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

UFO SKYDIVER

Postby greenman407 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:23 pm

As You know I have been searching for a Skydiver hull for years! I have seen and heard glimpses but my quary has been elusive. Well I am happy to anounce that I have located a manfg. in the UK that makes one in GRP. I am in the process of aquiring a 3 ft. hull. He also makes one in 5 ft. length. Under tv and movie submarine section, you will note that "theraven" has both and has already started his 5 ft. build. I will be recieving mine within a month and at that point I will be able to more accurately determine how much internal room that is available, so that I can start making plans. I purchased from Amazon, this book. Its huge, as you can see the size comparison with a one dollar bill. It has 4 full double pages of drawings and info on the Skydiver, which will be very useful. As far as I know nobody has made theirs into a practical operating, static diving submarine. One has been made to operate in surface mode only as I have a picture of one running. It is sitting so high in the water that it will never dive like that.I hope to be the first. 8)

Last edited by greenman407 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Re: UFO SKYDIVER

Postby greenman407 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:43 pm

I remember fondly of the year of 1972 or 73 ,my father came home from work and said that at 8:00 pm that night, a new show was coming on tv and that I would like it very much. It was called UFO. You see, my dad was an engineer at WFLA tv Ch. 8 in Tampa, Florida at that time. So I know that it must have come on NBC as it was back then. I can remember being totally mesmerized by the show! I never missed it, if I had any control over it. It lasted one season.......never to return. It took its place right beside Star Trek as the most influencial shows in my life. Then in 2006, quite by surprise I stumbled upon the entire series on DVD at Amazon. Boy.... I got that set and watched one episode or two every night until I had caught up on old times. After a long search I now have the chance to have my very own SKYDIVER!!!

Image Here you can see the 5 ft. and the 3 ft. Skydiver belonging to theRaven who was so kind to put me in touch with his friend who makes them.

Image Here is the unidentified Skydiver that must be surface drive only........at least when this picture was taken.

There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:11 pm

According to the Technical manual the Skydiver is 120 feet long. That would make a 3 ft. Skydiver 1/40th scale. Corespondingly a 5 ft. one would be 1/24th scale for all you need to know people out there. Also it is powered by a nuclear reactor which turns two steam turbines which in turn drive two propellors each located within the confines of the turbine nacelle.Its top speed is 40 knots(ah come on,should be at least 90) and its max depth is over 900 fathoms(5400 ft.) Its manned by a crew of five. :D
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Painting and detailing this thing is going to be a trip as different shots show some variation in colors. Some shots of Sky one shows it to be a greenish tint, or is it the light. Others show it to be gold with some areas brighter and some areas lighter or flatter. Some scenes show it to be weathered well. At anyrate I would like some suggestions on color.

Image Notice the green color.

Image An unknown gentlemen with his Skydiver.
Last edited by greenman407 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:41 am

This is it! The named gentleman on the model is the one who makes the Skydivers of which I am going to become an owner of one. Hes been involved in this for a while and apparently even copyrighted it. I am placing my order today! If anyone else is interested, PM me. :D
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:52 am

The manufacturer is giving me constant feedback of my hull now under construction. Is that not fantastic customer service or what. Hes also going to send me a sample of the color for the hull that he uses so that I can have it matched here in the states. He goes all out for his customers! I am very excited about this project..........does it show? 8)
greenman407

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:58 am

Did you buy one mark?
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby greenman407 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:43 pm

Oh Yeah! Paid thru Paypal in British Pounds no less. Its being layed up right now. My understanding is that its GRP on the diver part and Resin on the Sky part. :twisted: I am busy making plans! :twisted: LOL.....LOL.........LOL..(evil laugh)
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 pm

Kevin, Your DIY RCABS might be just the ticket but Im still looking at all options. Ill know much more about it once it gets here.
Last edited by greenman407 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm

A couple more shots:

And here is the web page for the UFO series: http://ufoseries.com/
And another one for images: http://www.framecaplib.com/ufolib.htm
greenman407

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Looks like you will be having lots of fun mark. let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby greenman407 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:45 am

I might be getting a little bit ahead of myself here but this is what I have in mind to use for propulsion:

Image This little boat has a jet drive that is similar to the Graupner units and others but the boat is really cheap. My fellow submariner friend Dave Santivanez( Aquadeep) showed me his with the drive removed and we tested it. It produces tremendous thrust. Notice also that it has a thrust vectoring nozzle that the boat uses for turning. If this unit will fit( I will need two of them) I would rotate the nozzle so that it will act as Dive planes to push it under or surface it. Rudder control will be accomplished by differential steering(increasing or decreasing one side vs. the other) The motor will of course have to be sealed in a wtc or something. Aquadeep has already accomplished this and it looks very promising!
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:21 am

I just discovered this on youtube. Very cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMN4Ef9JtzI
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:04 pm

These pictures are of a Skydiver built by Mamas Pitsilis, the man who is supplying me with my Skydiver that is being shipped Monday Oct. 4th.

The man does awesome work I think youll agree!!! :D
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 am

Isnt it" perdy" and cool at the same time???!!! Soon there wont be a UFO left on the planet!!!
greenman407

Next

Return to Builder Threads