Banner Ad 1

Type XXIII Uboat --- any tips?

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Type XXIII Uboat --- any tips?

Postby modelnut » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:22 pm

I have the Special Navy Type XXIII U-boat in 72nd scale. Anybody have any tips or tricks I could apply to my buildup? I haven't built a styrene sub kit since Red October came out. And certainly nothing in this large a scale. I vaguely remember an article in FineScaleModeler but I haven't been able to find it.

I was sure someone here had to have built one of these kits but a Search didn't turn up any hits. If there is an article in one of the SCR's then I don't remember which.

Any advise would be welcome. This will be great practice for my 72nd scale NAUTILUS . . .

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Re: Type XXIII Uboat --- any tips?

Postby sam reichart » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:22 pm

well.... be prepared for a couple of sticking points.
there are no alignment pins for the hull halves, so align and glue carefully.
check the fixed plane guards and the dive planes on each side of the hull. you will have to trim one side to match the other. they are pretty different from fret to fret.
some of the photoetch is very fragile....and tiny.
I felt some of the resin was superfluous for this model. why cast a separate resin piece when it could have been molded easily (and cheaply too).

Over all, I was less than impressed with this kit. I've heard the Type II is better.

Regardless, best of luck with your build.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks, Sam!

I was wondering about those resin bits too. Styrene would seem much simpler to use I would think.

Somewhere I have an image of this kit converted for R/C. I am using it as a wallpaper.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Just gave the kit a good once and twice over. Surely there aren't enough flood vents in the bottom of this boat. :?

I have the Revell 72nd scale GATO as well and had to send for an aftermarket pattern to try for authentic holes in the bottom of the boat. That kit is waiting to be touched. Not really enough space in this small house for that monster. :shock:

Anybody have any suggestions? I want to model her as if she was just pulled out of the water.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:39 pm

modelnut wrote:Just gave the kit a good once and twice over. Surely there aren't enough flood vents in the bottom of this boat. :?

I have the Revell 72nd scale GATO as well and had to send for an aftermarket pattern to try for authentic holes in the bottom of the boat. That kit is waiting to be touched. Not really enough space in this small house for that monster. :shock:

Anybody have any suggestions? I want to model her as if she was just pulled out of the water.

- Leelan

let me check the model and my Type XXIII references. IIRC, there aren't a ton of free flood holes under the boat...
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler