Seeing as how I’m gimped it’s a little hard working with big stuff like the hull, so now I’m putting the hull to the side and I’ll start in on the small parts like the appendages.
For the fins I’m going a different route in making them than I did with my Permit. That time I went with solid MDF that I sculpted on my disc sander using jigs and various other tricks. This time I want to experiment with what could be called a “frame, foam and form” technique that implements a hot wire foam cutter. My reasons for the change? First I need a sure-fire way to get the shaft alignment 100% true as I had a hell of a time getting this right with the Permit. Second, I’m gimpy and I can do this while sitting down; I don’t have to standing at power tool station. Third, I am going to be using this technique on a larger scale for my next project, so I might as well get some practice!
Cereal box cardboard is once again the main construction material of day. Life Cereal cardboard to be exact, I use only the best. Side, top and bottom profiles drawn on paper are glued to the cardboard using Super 77 spray on contact glue. The shapes are all very carefully cut out using an #11 Exacto and after doing so, I wick extra thin CA into the cardboard creating a very rigid, strong material that can now be filed and/or sanded. I would almost describe the marriage or Life cereal cardboard and CA as a very hard plastic. Next, I drilled a 1/8” hole in the top and bottom shapes to represent the shaft as this will be the size of rod used for that purpose.
With a 1/8” rod drilled into a block of wood, the bottom profile was slipped onto the rod and the main section of the sail was CA’d in a perpendicular fashion, along the center line and exactly 90 degrees using two blocks of wood to hold the part steady while drying.
The rod is removed from the block, and the top profile is slid on. With alignment assured by matching up the back points and with the rod in the front I glued the parts together. I could then glue all the rest together and douse the whole thing in CA.
Foam blocks are fit between the frame and glued in place using Ultra Blue RTV silicone. The whole thing is sandwiched between two blocks of wood in my vise waiting to dry...
Next, we’ll form this part using a hot wire foam cutter.