Banner Ad 1

Know anything about this NAUTILUS?

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Know anything about this NAUTILUS?

Postby modelnut » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 am

Saw this link while prowling eBay for NAUTILUS items:

http://www.naturecoast.com/hobby/nautilus.htm?OVRAW=nautilus%20submarine&OVKEY=nautilus%20submarine&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=1216932022&OVKWID=8800179022

These kits are custom hand made by Lee Seiler in Oregon. His work has received awards including the 1983 Television EMMY for best technical achievement in a local show. Lee's Dinosaur sculptures appear in many museums world wide. The kits will normally be in stock, but as they are individually custom made, and the demand is great, wait could be 2 to 4 weeks.

Anybody know anything about this kit? Is it worth it? If I pay will I get it?

Might be a great tax return present to myself . . .
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:00 pm

OK. Just found out that this is the Total Immersion NAUTILUS
http://www.totalimmersion.com/Naulitus_orders.htm

Also found out that Lee can be a bit slow getting this to me. (Did a SEARCH on his name and the NAUTILUS.) I will have to think about this. I do want one . . .

I would still welcome any comments so don't hold back.

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:07 pm

TI Nautilus alright.

If you're after a 1/69th scale (which is what Lee took his model from), I can hook you up with a Custom Replicas model. They're in stock and ready to go.

Ordering info is on my site at www.nautilusdrydocks.com.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Bob
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:14 pm

I have a 31in NAUTILUS already but it is the old kit that is way too chunky to convert to RC, strictly static. The resin is grey also not white as in the pictures on your site: http://www.nautilusdrydocks.com./Brodeen31.html

That's why the TI kit interested me. If your Custom Replicas kit is convertable then I am up for it. Will have to wait for tax return though. Should be less than 2 weeks.

BTW "in stock" are just the words I want to hear! :D

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:57 am

Leelan,

The kit is 100% convertible to R/C. Dave Merriman made a great conversion kit that fits into it. Its the same one as the Trumpeter Seawolf if I'm not mistaken.

Biggest thing is working out your dive planes. Dave did a conversion with a gimbaled prop, but a set of planes aft of the prop is easier, still looks great, and works like a charm!

Let me know if and when you're ready and I'll get one off to you right away!

Bob
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks, Bob!

I think I have seen pictures of a NAUTILUS with diving planes aft of the propeller. Might even have been yours. I have been lurking around here for ages. :roll:

Will let you know as soon I can afford the kit. Will have to wait to buy the guts later. Have to start a cookie-jar fund for that I'm afraid. :(

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Re: Know anything about this NAUTILUS?

Postby brucethebrush » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Hello Modelnut,
I know it's been a long time (like what, a year and a half) but was wondering if you still have your 31" TI Nautilus and if you'd part with it? I'm looking for a static model.
Thanks,
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Sorry, Bruce,

I was never able to purchase the TI NAUTILUS. Auto repair took all the extra money that spring IIRC. So I was never able to purchase one.

I'm married now so any version of the N will have to be scratchbuilt a little at a time.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby brucethebrush » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Hiya Leelan,
Thanks for the reply. It was a shot in the dark.
Found a TI Nautilus from Goddesslaski on ebay for only (only?) $400. So I'm in the process of cleaning out my closet full of kits and figures to save up for one. I figure it's probably the last kit I'll ever want to buy. Always wanted a Nautilus. It's worth the money not to have to reproduce 19,000+ rivets. It's a pearl of great price.
"You've not heard the story of the man who when he found a pearl of great price went and sold all that he owned and bought it.". Montgomery Scott- The Empath
Happy modeling,
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:19 pm

OOPS! Now I remember where that money went! :oops:

I used that money for a plane ticket to Rochester, NY, to meet my fiancee for the first time. :D
Glad I did --- and so is my wife! :lol:

I will be facing those bazillion rivets in the near future. After much thought and research I have finalized my own version of Jules Verne's NAUTILUS.

I hope to start cutting foam this weekend. :shock:

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby brucethebrush » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Hey Leelan,
What kind of foam are you using? I've been using polyurethane foam (about 12 Lb. density I believe) that I picked up from Jiffy Foam about a decade ago. Messy stuff but a dream to finish. Very smooth. I use Envirotex casting resin and paint it on the finished shape. Soaks into the foam and hardens to a rock. I'm just saying.
Bruce the Brush
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:58 pm

I use Owens-Corning pink insulation foam. It comes in sheets 4 X 8 feet by 0.75 inch. Just cut it into cross-sections, glue and sand. Voila! Instant submarine hull blank.

The first time I tried it was chickened out and cut out the silhouette in Plexiglas. I was afraid that I would sand too much away. Wouldn't you know the glue warped the blank as it dried. The whole point of the glass was to keep the whole thing straight! :roll:

This time I am going for the whole cigar. Cigar shaped hull that is. I will get the thing shaped as one complete hull with no trimmings. After the fiberglass is cured and the foam removed, that is when I will worry about the frills such as the Salon windows, the pilot house, the lamp, and the rudder and planes. One simple step at a time this time. This time I won't take shortcuts and try to get it all done at once.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines