Banner Ad 1

SubRegatta 2011

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Re: SubRegatta 2011

Postby admiralscommander » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Matt,
I know that you had to leave early but at the end of the show on Sunday, we had a winner for our engineering contest and one for scale appearance. What I did this year was include everyone in the 2 contests. Pete won in scale with his Ohio and Tesky won for engineering with his flying sub. The award for each was an embroidered hat with the Subcommittee logo, Carmel 2010, 1st Place, and either Engineering or Scale stitched on each hat.
Skip and Matt got a conning event together and it ended with a 4 way tie so there was a runoff. It ended in a tie, again, so they agreed that it would just end that way.
Any type of event would be welcome by all at the Subregatta. Someone needs to just take the lead with the new event. It was mentioned that we should have the photo contest back and there is already one of the members thinking about how to do that.
Keep the talk going and volunteer if you want something to happen. Once the location for 2011 is official, we can start recording what will happen at the next regatta.
Chris Campbell
admiralscommander

Postby Thor » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Chris,

Thanks very much for letting me know that! I know I missed a lot of good stuff by leaving early.... :(

I will take the lead on the sub "race" and get it going. We just need to make time in the schedule next year to fit it in.

Thanks, again, for putting on such a great show. I am glad I made it!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:46 pm

eckloss mentioned an invisibility contest. What could be more fitting for the submarine service? It could be like the sniper test where they have to sneak up on a target and shoot it while the observers look for them. We could do the same with the subs in the Carmel pond. Have everyone entered start from one end of the pond (or close to it). Put a couple of observers at the other end. Set a time limit, then everyone tries to get their boat as close as possible before they get spotted. The boat that gets the closet wins. Would perhaps the visible sub have an edge in this one? I've got an idea for an invisible paint scheme myself. And then there's the Sub Brothers, kind of like the Blues Brothers but with subs, Steve Jenson and John Schagane, with their Carmel Pond paint schemes.

I'll organize this one.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:20 am

To achieve that, I think the spotter would have to stand or sit at right angles and behind a blind of some description so they could not observe the line of sight of the person controlling the submarine, as that would be a dead give away.

Once (if?) spotted, the position could be marked with a buoy in a specific colour- maybe half a dozen buoys with different colours with a rolling six places. These could be placed by someone in waders.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby roedj » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:18 am

I am so "in" this invisibility contest. I was at Carmel with my SWM Blueback in Carmel Measure #3 and lost the boat several times. I shall do better with Measure #4. You have been warned. LOL

Dan

"By doing just a little every day you can gradually let the task completely overcome you." - Wil Baden
roedj
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:06 pm

I know this is going to get ugly but, has there ever been a 3 day regatta??? It seems most of the guys leave Saturday night or early Sunday morning only running on Saturday. Sunday is a great time to run due to low attendance. The atmosphere there is "intense" due to the fantastic venue and quality put forth for the event. This is the ideal location for the event and those of us that have been there know that you are made to feel welcome weather you run or just look around. Everyone is "pumped" just to be there seeing old friends and making new ones.
As for the coverage/work schedule, Chris and Dave mentioned a signup sheet for covering different areas during the event such as impound, registering, selling raffle tickets, etc. This would lessen the burden on the Admirals and give them some time to enjoy the event themselves. I volunteer for the impound duty and ticket sales or whatever/wherever I can help. I'm sure that others will chime in here so lets here what you have to say.
I realize that work and home duties come into play here but one extra day of vacation is all it would take. One more thing, if it is held on the last week of July , Tim Smalley will turn 61!!!
Frank
fgroza

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:13 pm

3 days huh. The unoffical regatta is 3 days. If your one of the few who show up friday and go run your boat right away :twisted:
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Thor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Would it be possible to get the full use of the pond on Friday afternoon and evening? I had several guys ask for help trimming their boats before the Regatta, but I got there too late to be much help on Friday. This next year I will come in on Thursday and leave on Monday so I don't miss anything.

Also, if possible, would they have a heart attack if we fired up a small grill to BBQ some weenies and burgers while we are getting everyone's boats prepped on Friday afternoon???

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby admiralscommander » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Matt,
The pond is available anytime when you are here, not just on the weekend. The only time that you can't use the pond is during the winter when they drain it partially.

I'd have to say no to the grill. There are tons of places near there to go get food. In the future, we'll have even more restaurants right across the street.
Chris
admiralscommander

Postby spongjim » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Matt , I ran into work tuesday and made sure they knew, I am going to take the whole week off next year for the regatta . I am going to drive up wednesday and stay through monday. I am suffering right now from sub withdraws . Chris you guys did a great job as always , I am counting down the days till next year.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:57 pm

The last few years I have been taking off Thursday before to get my boats all set to go, and Friday for travel and attending the Meet 'n Greet, and night run this year. I'm in for an extra day—officially.

Even if not officially, if someone says "I'm going to be there running all day Friday until the Meet 'n Greet from noon. Join me if you can." I'm sure there will be a turnout. It looked from the pictures that the Canada group was there on Friday. Just say you're doing it, "and they will come."
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:12 pm

Pete,

Great idea... I like it! It sounds like a plan to me..
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby tabledancer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:04 pm

I have been showing up on Friday afternoon and staying till late Sunday afternoon.One more day will give me another day to break something else,count me in too.

TD :wink: :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby fgroza » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:12 pm

The guys from up north arrive on Thursday I believe and leave on Monday. We arrive around noon on Friday as well as several others. Most go to the pond to test run or just run for the sake of running!! The bathrooms are open and eateries and hobby shops are open for business. However, one must not hurt the baby ducks or the lady on the bike will bring the wrath down upon you. The ducks have a built in defence system that lets them get out of the way of the "sharks" as we were called. The tent is usually up by Friday and the tables and chairs are needing set up. The only thing that we need to watch out for is if the fountain is off you don't run over that area as it is shallow and several pipes are sticking out. It was marked off later with the admirals marking bouys.
Frank
fgroza

Postby subdude » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:28 pm

I come out on Thursday as well. I meet up with the Rochester gang for dinner, then we go hobby shop running Friday morning. The tent gets set up around noon, and we go set up tables and chairs, maybe run a boat, and generally bs with folks until the meet and greet.

Try it, you'll like it!

Jim
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas