Banner Ad 1

SubRegatta 2011

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

SubRegatta 2011

Postby Thor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:04 pm

SubRegatta 2010 just came to a close and what a blast it was! The Indy Admirals did a fantastic job in putting on the show.

Chris-I really appreciate all of the effort that you went to taking the lead on this and making it happen. All of your hard work and the hard work of the rest of the Admirals really paid off.

I noticed a couple of things at this Regatta that might add a bit of fun to next year's SubRegatta.

1) I was blown away by Matt Munger and his Delphin! What a rocket that boat is. He let me take a spin at it and he makes it look a LOT easier than it really is to drive that boat. Matt is really a master Skipper. When ever he had that boat in the water all eyes were on it in amazement as to how fast and manueverable it is. That got me to thinking....How about having a Reno air race type pole race for this type of boat. Any fast boat allowed. Say 5 laps around the two poles in the pond. Winner gets a new R/C Submarine kit? If there is enough interest, I will take the lead and make it happen for the SubRegatta 2011. I'll even supply the winning prizes for the top 3 places. Any input? I think it would be a hoot!

2) There was some of the finest engineerinng, craftmanship, and finishes I have ever seen in my life! It is a shame that those who did such a great job were not recognized somehow for their work. If I remember correctly, awards had been given in the past for these basic catagories. There may have been more, but my memory is poor and I may have forgotten a few. I would be glad to sponsor the plaques for SubRegatta 2011 if the group would be willing to re-introduce this activity. I think it makes for a bit of fun, friendly competition. Having something to hang on the wall make the very special trip all the more memorable...

3) Bring back the awards for the course drivers. There was much renewed interest in the course this year!

Thanks again to the Indy Admirals for continuing the great tradition of putting on a super SubRegatta! I hope this will continue for many, many more years!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Re: SubRegatta 2011

Postby eckloss » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:20 pm

here, here!
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Erich,

That new Beluga of yours might give Matt's Delphin a run for its money!!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:43 pm

That just might!!
The Beluga looks fast standing still. 8)
We did try and get something like this together a few years ago but never got much interest from attendees.
The organizers were OK with it and were pushing for it.
The Delphin is a fast sub but I think after they saw my Sushi racing sub run no one wanted to race me including Matt. :roll: :lol:
Where the Delphin’s are fast the Sushi is scary fast!! :shock: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:59 pm

It may take a couple of cycles, like every new event, to drum up enough interest to get a lot of participation. I'll race ya'! Your on, Dave! I know Matt Munger and Erich will jump in....Who else????
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:07 pm

Matt,
Little did they know that although the Sushi is scary fast the guy running the Sushi is just scary!! :roll: :lol:
They don't call me crash for nothing!! :oops: :oops:
But I will race all who would dare to run in the wake of the deadly Sushi Wasabi!! :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Matt,
Are you going to make a kit for those of us that don't have one yet??? I believe the Delphin is of German origin and no longer produced. It is a known fact that you have connections in the area of kit mfg. and possibly could supply a basic kit ,somewhat like a pinewood derby car, and the rest is up to the builder. Everyone would have a chance to do battle so to speak with each other. Skip wants to keep the activity at the regatta on a high note and this would really be a big shot in the arm. Perhaps a poll could be taken to see if it would be worth your while to pursue this. Of course there should be a set of rules to limit certain areas such as horsepower, battery voltage, prop type/size, etc. Or just as the unlimiteds do- go for broke - make it as wild as you wish. From what I've seen, Matt and Dave have 550 size motors and use 6 cell packs for power.
Hope you can pull this off!!
Frank
fgroza

Postby eckloss » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:14 pm

i might just have to build up one of those Belugas just for speed races! now, just to figure out how to install a porche motor into a 4 inch space.... :shock:
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Erich,
Brushless inrunner around 3000kv with a Octura 27mm prop. Should go very well but may need cooling. I use this setup on my mini cat , goes great.
Frank
fgroza

Postby Bigdave » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:59 pm

You are correct Frank. The little Delphin has not been made for about 5 years now.
Matt told me at the regatta that he talked to Norbert and he said he no longer made them.
So that would be a problem.
I have a Venom 15 turn 500 size motor in mine.
It does get a bit warm if you push it.
Although I would never do that!! :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Frank,

Dave is right. Norbert is no longer producing the Delphin and has no intentions of revisiting it. HOWEVER, there is an all new Delphin kit in 1/10th scale underway and should be available this fall. It is made right here in the States.

I love your idea and that leads me to another thought....We could have two classes:

1) Unlimited: Build anything you want! Let your imagination and engineering skills run wild...no limits on anything.

2) One class race...maybe some limits on motor, battery, and gear reduction. Leave the rest up to you....just some thoughts.

I like the way this is going. Even if we only get a half dozen or so entrants the first year, I am sure it would grow with time. Any more great ideas???

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:58 pm

Matt,
Do you know anything about the new boat?? Is it a camlock seperation or split hull?? I like the camlock for ease of operation. Also, I like the dryhull dynamic version like Matt M. has. Twist and out goes the battery and in with a new one, simple. Keep us informed on the release and price if possible.
This could get really ugly and fun!!! Perhaps racing numbers-SC member number- could be placed on the sides with wild paint schemes and bright colors. Another venue could be a "jump vault" contest. Place a cross bar a few inches above the water and see if the boats can breech/jump over it. Keep raising the bar until we have a winner. There are other games that could be had I'm sure as this is just a start. I know Big Dave Welch has a boat that can do this as well as Matt. I'm sure Kevin from Rouge will want to bump heads as well as a few other sub drivers.

Frank
fgroza

Postby Bigdave » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:39 pm

My fastest sub the Waterslider doing a near vertical takeoff at Groton.
She is one scary beast to run!! :twisted: :twisted:
See all you could get Kevin!! :mrgreen: (inside joke) BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Perhaps we could get a couple of big rocket nose cones and ??????????? This is going to be fun!! Jumping subs, whats next ?

Frank
fgroza

Postby eckloss » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

whats next? getting a boat fast enough to lift out of the water and take flight. :mrgreen:
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas