Banner Ad 1

Scale Ship Oscar 2

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Scale Ship Oscar 2

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:39 am

I arrived at the pond on Sunday afternoon with much on the agenda. My aspirations were to test the underwater turning radius using tractor steering and without. Also the same in the surfaced condition, and finally to get some video of the snort in operation. Then everything started to go away in a handbasket! First I lost the left drive(NO I DIDNT LOSE THE PROP :roll: )
The nuts came loose on the gearbox causing the gears to go out of mesh. The solution is of course to reset them and locktite them. Then I started to lose depth keeping ability.The reason? To my utter shock.........This!
I lost the front part of the dive plane. HOW DID YOU LOSE IT? Dont ask, I think I forgot to put the screw in it. :cry: I emailed Vladamir this morning and am awaiting a reply. All the video that was shot came out badly , my younger sons ability and desire are not there. On the positive side I did get it to turn rather sharply, that is before one of the rudders let go on the shaft. The shafts are stainless steel and are a snug fit inside the control surfaces so I drilled holes in the control surfaces and dripped thin CA into them but they keep coming loose. IM going to pull them apart and cut grooves in the shaft and open up the control surfaces and put in epoxy thus giving the deep six to that problem. Still having a problem with the stern planes jamming up. This I attribute to the control arm on the mechanism being too short, Ill pull it out and braze a longer one on it. WELL AT LEAST I DIDNT LOSE IT! :D
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby raalst » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:56 pm

almost there. keep going !
this is just teething troubles...
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby KevinMc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi Mark,

Just to throw a different technique at you, when I made my control surfaces I cast in the shafts so that the finished part would have a snug fit just as you have, but to secure running shafts I drilled and tapped holes from the front of the surface in a number of places and installed set screws. It seems to have worked quite well as I've never had to tighten them once in four years of running. (I did use multiple set screws per surface.) I don't specifically recall, but I believe I did grind flats into each of the control shafts before permanently installing them so that I'd not have any twisting or slop develop over time. More food for thought...
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby Kerry Addington » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:17 am

Gents,
I have had great luck using square shafting with control surfaces. The hollow square stock can be glued into the diveplane/rudder and the servo arm attached to a piece of the next-size-up hollow stock that the control surface shaft slides into. This way you have a natural positive physical lock for rotation, and the set screw merely keeps the shafts from sliding rather than being tasked with holding against rotational forces. This also works well when connecting a control surface shaft to a bellcrank. With square stock, the set screw always has a "flat" to mate against. Best to have a round brass tube section in the hull wall to support and guide the square shaft rotating inside.
When using this in my Seawolf with 4 ganged stern planes, it was very easy to keep all planes aligned with each other by making sure their internal shafts were parallel.
Make any sense?
-Kerry
Kerry Addington

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:21 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Raalst, since I have survived the Seaview and the Albacore its a sure bet that this one will join them on operational duty shortly. Kevin, I was afraid to cut threads in the GRP or whatever it is but now that you mention it , it might be worth a try. Kerry, Your idea also has merit, so many ideas, so little time. :wink: I havent recieved a email back yet from Scaleships, if it doesnt come soon I will make my own stern plane wing out of my heavy sheet plastic.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:25 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0411823978
If anyone is looking to purchase a Scaleships Oscar, here is one on ebay.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:41 am

An interesting thing happens while running this boat. While you are running at periscope depth, if you need to make some course corrections with your rudder it will cause the sub to broach. As soon as you release the rudder it will then return to periscope depth. This seems somewhat understandable because I would think that the additional drag created by the rudders being engaged would cause the stern to settle thus pushing the bow up. However , just as a means of comparison the Albacore(x-tail) when steered to port will dive. After completing a 180 degreee turn it will have descended about a foot below periscope depth. If you make a turn to starboard it will broach. The Seaview under the same conditions makes no attempt to ascend or descend, perhaps because its rudders are directly behind the nacelles and not out in open water. :shock: :? 8)
Last edited by greenman407 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:41 pm

:idea: Im thinking about setting up a mix on the Polk radio that will slave the bow planes to the rudder. In this way the bow planes will push the bow down as the rudder is engaged to prevent broaching at periscope depth. This would of course be hooked to switch A and turned on and off when needed. Im sure some experimentation will be needed to get the proportions of bow plane deflection to rudder deflection just right.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:16 pm

I will be recieving in the next week or so a wing for the missing stern plane. I have negotiated with Kevin Mcleod for one along with a light kit that he has put together. Kevin rightly remarked that this sub from hence forth will be known as a Scaleships/Mcleod Oscar. Its much easier to get stuff from Kevin in Canada than from the Ukraine. I came across a couple of Oscar related photos that I wanted to share.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 am

Found a few shots that will be helpful.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:14 pm

In order to determine exactly why that there is such a mismatch between the midsection and the stern section I made a template that would slip down over the stern section at the joint.

greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:20 pm

I do not have any drawings that show me the dimmensions at point "A" or whatever. It wouldnt matter if I did. The subs hull is what it is. I just want to make the port and starboard sides at the joint match or be equal. By making this template, even if It doesnt match perfectly, I will be able to see the differences between both sides and can then make the corrections first before making the Indexing bulkheads at the joint. Once the adjustments have been made I can then lower a piece of plastic down inside and scribe around it the outline of the stern section. Then , subtracting the hull thickness, cut it out and that will be the shape. :shock: I think :wink:
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Over the weekend I recieved the promissed replacements from Kevin Mcleod for the plane wing that I lost. Whats with Scaleships anyway. They wont answer my Emails to them. If it wernt for Kevin I would be up a creek without a paddle. You might want to keep that in mind for any future purchases of 1/96 Oscars. Kevin is Johnny on the spot with parts and communications. That is most reassuring indeed! Ok, on to the hardware.

You can see here the wing without the plane. There is a size difference between Kevins and Scaleships. Whos right? I dont know but at this point it doesnt matter. Im going to reproduce the Scaleships wing from Kevins as that would be the easiest thing to do. You can see the pencil line that I have put on the wing. I will cut Kevins down to the size that I need.

You can see here the Scaleships one laying on top of Kevins.

There is a thickness difference too. No problem though, well get it. 8)
greenman407

Postby KevinMc » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm glad to see that the parts have made it, and thanks for the kind words about product support!

It is interesting to note the subtle differences in shape, and not suprising at all. As much as we like to think that our drawings are all "perfect", the fact is there's no such thing. The more time you spend picking at the threads of the tapestry, the more you'll find it unravels in front of you. As for the differences in plane size, it looks to me as though most of the root (span) difference is made up in differences in how the hull was molded - the SS fin has its root molded into the hull and a smaller "plane" to match where with mine all of plane is molded as plane which must be lined up with scribe marks in the hull. Two different approaches to the same problem.

Keep up the great work!
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:21 am

Here is tha Mcleod wing cut down and mounted. The Scaleships plane is still in place. I also am changing the geometry of the lower rudders linkages to get more throw. It should be back in the water next weekend.
greenman407

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads