Banner Ad 1

Deboer 57 inch Seaview

R/C Submarine modelers

Re: Deboer 57 inch Seaview

Postby SteveNeill » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Jeff thanks a bunch! When will we ever get together and runs some boats? You are in my town of sorts a rare thing in LA. Lets do it soon. You got to try Hansen Dam. The water is clear and you can see to the bottom. We have a great dock to launch from too.

Of course if you need help on the Seaview let me know. I've been able to trim them so they don't need lots of non-scale mods. You can use my pool if you like too.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby tomwittstock » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:46 pm

I like the last part of the video showing the conning towers lights. I'm sure I'll be having issues once I get started on my boat Steve. Experince is the best teacher they say....I don't think OTW 3.5 inch will be large enough to handle my 80" Seaview.

Later :lol:
tomwittstock

Postby SteveNeill » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Sure won't. But the 4 inch might since it works well in the 1/32nd VIIC and that's 81 inches long. ;)

If you need any help let me know.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:53 am

BTW I placed stators in the nacelles the vector the water flow up. This helped a great deal in over coming the nose down effect. I'll get a picture tomorrow to post. This was originally a David Merriman concept and a good one too. It saved my fanny on this one.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:07 am

I think you'd need a stretched version of the Type VII OTW module if you want to get a very high waterline on the Seaview.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Steve,

You're right: we're long overdue to get together. We'll make it happen. Soon, I hope. Been meaning to try Dam waters for ages.

Will definitely be wanting advice -- if not full-on assistance (eventually) -- with Seaview. Love the engine nacelle stator idea. Believe I have most if not all of the parts and equipment necessary, though I realize I'm probably going to have to ditch (sell) the D&E WTC I already have for her and replace it with a larger version in order to achieve that high freeboard look. Or maybe it can just be extended (?). Also want to somehow create correct-looking pumpjet intake gills/louvers in the proper scale on the nacelles. I'd far rather open unseen sections along the keel for needed water flow than mess with the scale look back aft. We'll talk.

Meantime, back to my Nautilus...

Thanks!
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Sub culture wrote:I think you'd need a stretched version of the Type VII OTW module if you want to get a very high waterline on the Seaview.

Andy this thing will just roll over if you get it much higher. It's so flat bottomed. Its a movie model. Between the sloping bow and the shallow draft it's a trimming nightmare. All they did was drag it with cables so it could sit out of the water at the ridiculous height. But still the longer ballast tank may be of help on it. Not sure really.

Jeff I tried to open her up from the inside to the nacelles. And the intakes were quite large. It didn't work and I ended up cutting two large holes on the under side of the nacelles and that worked. The scale louvers are open to sea on this one but were not affective at all. The pump jet works great on mine and is centrally located at the keel. Just a big oval.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby junglelord » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 am

Could you not scale up a Big Dave Mobieus Seaview approach to this model Steve, vs the way you conquared this one?
I have been wondering if I could take that approach with my Deboer when I get it.
Any thoughts?
junglelord

Postby SteveNeill » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:12 pm

I guess with the PJ and all. Not sure it would make much difference. You will still be hanging your tail at 35 degrees at full stop underwater no matter what you do. Just don't ever stop the boat until on the surface.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:09 pm

SteveNeill wrote:
Sub culture wrote:I think you'd need a stretched version of the Type VII OTW module if you want to get a very high waterline on the Seaview.

Andy this thing will just roll over if you get it much higher. It's so flat bottomed. Its a movie model. Between the sloping bow and the shallow draft it's a trimming nightmare. All they did was drag it with cables so it could sit out of the water at the ridiculous height. But still the longer ballast tank may be of help on it. Not sure really.

Steve

I was referring to fitting the Type VII module in an eight footer, Steve.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:17 pm

Ya I know Andy. I think it would work fine if it works on the VIIC. Just my opinion. Maybe not. But it doesn't take much to submerge this boat. Less than half the ballast tank volume and down she goes.

Thanks,

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby junglelord » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Type VII module
Who makes that WTC?
Thanks
junglelord

Postby SteveNeill » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:37 pm

OTW
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:06 am

Hey Steve,

Just tried to e-mail you and it bounced. Guess I need a more current address. Got one for me?

Thanks,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:14 am

I was going by Alan Warehand's experience with this boat, he told me he needed a volume of about 3 litres, and AFAIK the OTW Type VII module is about half that, although I'm sure Bob could answer that much better than I.

It shouldn't be a problem to make the module bigger, they're built to order, so you can tweak things a bit.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to R/C Modeler