In this post I’ll show how I scribed some details on the main deck including how I corrected some mistakes caused by not taking my time. It’s the scribing that really improves the look of the model and the excitement in seeing it come together can lead to some careless mistakes. The mistakes can be corrected but it takes time and patience. Had I been more careful when scribing I would have saved myself some extra work.
Here are the tools I am using. From left to right are: a commercial scriber, a compass with a sharp point, a needle taped to a dowel and a toothbrush for cleaning out the details as they are scribed. In the upper left corner is a piece of 400 grit paper for keeping the tool points sharp
For correcting mistakes I use the “Easy Sand” and the “Glazing & Spot Putty”. The “Easy Sand” (from Caswell) is my favorite for larger corrections. It is an easy to work with two-part filler. The “Glazing & Spot Putty “ requires no mixing, is easy to work with but in my opinion doesn’t hold up as well.
Once I’ve laid out the details in pencil I tape my template to the model to hold it in place while scribing.
I use light passes with the tool, maybe 20 to 25, frequently brushing out the dust with the tooth brush and sharpening the point of the tool with the 400 grit paper. Each pass cuts a little deeper.
Check out David Merriman’s Cabal Reports and videos for more extensive details and tips on scribing.
In this picture you can see a couple mistakes I made on the safety track at the forward hatch. The curved track lines are too wide compared to the straight track. Also, I’ve accidently scratched the hull when I was cleaning some dust out with the tool. If you look carefully you can also see I’ve already made one attempt at correcting the mistake using the “Easy Sand”.
I think tried three times to fix the mistake before I finally got it right. Here you see how I covered the hull with blue tape to keep the filler confined to the spot I was trying to fix.
There, that looks better. By the way, the two long rectangular cuts at the forward end are for the retractable cleats. I plan to use HO gauge railroad tie spikes to represent the cleats deployed. We’ll see how that works later.
Scribing the torpedo tube doors has been a challenge. I first tried David Merriman’s trick of heating a piece of styrene to mold its shape to the bow and then cutting out the door shapes for a scribing template (Cabal Report) but at 1:120 scale I couldn’t make it work. So then I laid out two doors on styrene so I could make the template. For uniformity, and to better fit the curvature at the bow I decided to use a two-door template for all four doors as you’ll see in the next couple of photos
Then I came up with a somewhat oddball mounting for working the hull in the vertical position. It was much easier to work this way.
Here you see the template taped to the hull ready for scribing the first two doors. When the bottom two doors were finished I repositioned the template and scribed the two top doors.
Now that the hull details are finished it’s time to move on the sail. I actually started the sail months ago but set it aside to complete the work on the hull. I’ll cover the sail in my next post.