Banner Ad 1

Rick Teskey seaview build

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Rick Teskey seaview build

Postby Kerry Addington » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Mark,
Regarding motors, hopefully sometime in May I will be trying a pair of the Graupner BB 600 Turbo units in my 80 Seaview driving 5-bladed 50mm props.
Kerry Addington

Postby greenman407 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:11 pm

Kool, let us know how it works out. There is only so much room inside a 3" WTC, 2 and 3/4" I believe. Not enough room to get 500s, 600s or 700s side by side. Thats why I mentioned brushless motors. I thought about the possibility of using one big motor driving two impellors but then I wouldnt have independant control over both impellors.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Something else I noted was that with the 4 bladed impellors the Seaview would skip and miss at full power. Talking to the manufacturer of the speed control he said that the amp draw was so high that it was bumping up against the overload protection circuit and that was causing the missing. Well now that we have changed to two blade impellors we have no more missing. To me that strongly suggests that the amperage draw is less as well. :D
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby Kerry Addington » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:11 pm

sorry if I missed it, but are you direct drive or using gearing?
Kerry Addington

Postby greenman407 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Kerry, I am using a 3" WTC from before the days of the D&E/Caswell merger. It is a gear reduction of 3 to 1. No easy way to change the gearing im afraid.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Junglelord , Thanks for your earlier post and the info. Still going for the 57"? Rick Teskey could set you right up with a 8 window 52". :D
greenman407

Postby junglelord » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:27 pm

I am getting a Deboer, no question.
I am leaning towards a 80 inch with a bilge pump total wet approach...forgo the wtc, like the bilgepump nautilus
Which now has a static dive approach too.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234740

I love Rick Teskeys work, but I am not a big fan of the 8 window as I am of the four window.
If Rick made a four window, I would get Ricks for sure, as he is just up the road in ontario from me.
Hi Rick, :D

Hope to meet you this summer at Bob's cottage stayover.
Dean
junglelord

Postby greenman407 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:26 am

Junglelord, Al Nuci owns and operates one of these boats(Nautilus) but his is set up for dynamic diving so I dont know if his input would help you.
Last edited by greenman407 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:35 am

This is of course just my opinion and the ongoing thoughts that my pea brain is constantly coming up with but one of the reasons that I like the 8 window version better is that in the original movie and the first season of the tv series the 8 window version was used and if you will note from watching these that the Seaview was two story, in otherwords one deck for the lower set of windows and one deck for the upper set of windows. Whereas the 4 window Seaview is a one story sub which translates into a much smaller sub carrying fewer crewmembers and less equipment ,therefore less capable. So instead of a large, roomy, high tech powerhouse of say 300' or more the 4 window job would be much smaller, say 175'. Not that it matters. 8) One thing I do like about the 4 window version that the 8 window version doesnt have is the big sonar blisters or whatevertheyares that are very prominant on the upper sides of the bow, very cool looking! Rick Teskey denys it but I think that his 52" is a stretched model compared to the Moebius. In otherwords the Moebius looks stubby whereas his looks longer and sleeker. In fact the Seaview model that is on Admiral Nelsons desk in the original pilot movie looks very stubby indeed. If you would add about 4 or 5 inches to the Moebius they would look about the same in proportion, irrespective of outright size.
greenman407

Postby junglelord » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:19 pm

One of the guys on the Moebius forum, extended the body by about four inches with a mold and some casting material.
Yes it looks sleeker. I agree about the sonar domes looking cool. as well on the four window Seaview.

I hope to get an 80" and get it in the water.
I may however just opt for the 57" which Steve Neill completed on the commission build.
I am just in need of some assistance to find a WTC for the big 80" unit.
junglelord

Postby greenman407 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 pm

I think Kerry Addington is having the same problem
greenman407

Postby Sub culture » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:11 am

Kerry Addington wrote:Mark,
Regarding motors, hopefully sometime in May I will be trying a pair of the Graupner BB 600 Turbo units in my 80 Seaview driving 5-bladed 50mm props.

I hope not direct drive, as that is too high revving IMO. You want a torquey motor running about 4000-6000RPM tops for those size and pitch props.

I'd look at two 720BB torque motors for direct drive, or run the 600's through a 3:1 gearbox.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Kerry Addington » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:45 am

SubCulture/Greenman,
Thanks for the advice. I am indeed planning to run the 600's with 3:1 reduction.
Regarding WTC, I am building my own using the lower 2/3 of a 6" diameter acrylic tube, around 9" long. It will have an old-school flat top adhered with silicone for slice-out removal if necessary, with a lid access hatch using a 3.5" endcap. My ballast tank (pictured below) also incorportates a section of 6" tube with a curved top It is 22" long and 2.5" tall at the lid peak, keeping it's usuable volume below or at the desired surfaced waterline, and has a capacity of 3.3 litres or approx 9/10th gallon.
This is the largest object I could fit in the hull and still be able to remove it. The idea was to start big and cut down if necessary following sea trials. I would add for Jungleward and others considering that the 80 is a Monster and until you've tried to handle it or put it thru a car sunroof you might not be able to fully appreciate the significant difference between 80 and 57.
The 80, which is around 1/60 scale, does have some advantages- the Aurora FS-1 is a perfect fit in the bay, and a 17-yr-old car with Cadillac fins sticking thru the roof gets Ferrari stares!

Kerry Addington

Postby greenman407 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:08 pm

Im glad to see that you have things worked out. That means that you will have it running in a couple of months? :D
greenman407

Postby Kerry Addington » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Worked out? Ha!- Not quite-nothing wet yet!
Since most of my patrols will be in the 3-ft deep Carmel reflecting pool, I am eschewing any gas or failsafe needs and keeping it KISS with a snort system. That would be simple if I knew of a pump that could dry that tank in less than a day.
There is a promising suggestion of a 12V motor&pump used in GM truck seats to fill/empty the lumbar support bladder ( see below), but I am awaiting more info on that. Any suggestions appreciated. Apologies for diverting this thread and promise to post progress shots on the 80 in another thread when I have something worth showing!
Kerry Addington

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads