Banner Ad 1

UB-88 plans

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: UB-88 plans

Postby Roffa » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:26 am

cconeill wrote: but you will need a set of ubIII plans for the frames. http://www.christian-schmidt.com/
you can find them here. Gabi is awesome! craig

Yes she is. Just order the UBIII plan and some books and hope they will arrive soon.
Thanks for the tip :D
Roffa

Postby Roffa » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:53 am

cconeill wrote:Hi Roffa
if you have the book the u-boat wars 1916-1945 by john terraine it gives a description of the three UBIII types. it did go by tonnage. and they did not standardize the u-boats until late in the war. so you could have two boats made in the same yard and see very different things.

Hi Craig.
Don't have the book so its down on my wishlist.....
Differences from boatyard to boatyard I think is plausible, but differences between boats from same boatyard doesn't seem to be the "german way" to do things :wink:

cconeill wrote:it is hard to say how the ub-82 would differ from the ub-88. I would love to see tho. do you have pictures? I will do plans if you like. the WW1 u-boats are very unique. I have also worked up a set of UCII plans. I will build the UCII first. I want to get the stern correct on the UB-88 for that I need to see a picture?? I will be sending Jeff larue plans this week to scan in and post so that you could download a set. I would like to talk more in depth on this with you if you have time. I am trying to figure out what all the fittings did. feel free to email me at xxxx.edu.

Sorry to say, but I don't have any pictures of the UB82. I have some books about German u boats and I will look if theres better pictures of the UBIII stern.
If possible I would like to ask for the UBIII drawings. I will send you an email later
//Roffa
Roffa

Postby cconeill » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi Jens
thanks for emailing taucher. if he has drawings for this class of UBIII I would like to see them. please let him know I will share the ub-88 plans in exchange. on the ucII frames, these came out of the u-boat by rossler. if your copy is clearer than mine I would like a set. I have three sets of ubII frams, one set is from rossler. all the best craig
cconeill

Postby cconeill » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi Roffa
thank you for helping me try to find a picture of the ub-88-102 stern. it will be hard. but I hope to find one. I served ten years in the navy. so sister boats look alot alike but differ in many ways. some you see some you do not. take the attached picture. sure we do not know if all these boats came from the same yard. but all differ in some way from one another. this is what I like about the WW1 u-boats they are all so different. I am sure UB-88 is very different from UB-89 in many ways. the deck on the UB-88 is not your standard UBIII deck. wait until you see it. ( after my model is built) it is really cool. on the UB-88 drawings you will be able to download them off of the scr sight. that is my deal with Jeff. all the best craig
Last edited by cconeill on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cconeill

Postby JBarche » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi Craig,
I got a reply from that guy frmo the website. He suggestet tu contact the german U-Boat museum in Cuxhaven. They should have quit a bit of info there. The problem is, that yoy can contact them only via snail-mail and you wuld need an SAE.
As for the drawings - I will try to scan them as soon as I have some spare time.
Jens
Yours
Jens
JBarche

Postby cconeill » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi Jens
ok. anyone got there address. I will send them a set of plans and request. I want to build my UB-88 rite. Jens you just got yourself a set of UCII plans when there done. thanks for your help. craig I have the address. I will send all this to them tomorrow. I hope they have one picture or plan.
cconeill

Postby cconeill » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi Guys
found a new book tonight on WW1 u-boote's the title is the kiasers U-boote by dallies-labourdette. the book covers the u-boat wat from 1914-1918. the best parts is over 600 pictures!! JACKPOT :mrgreen: I will have this book next week. I will give a review. I luv the net. all the best craig
cconeill

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Plans arrived safe and sound today. I am aiming to get to my favorite blueprint copying service to get them scanned on Friday.....stay tuned!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby cconeill » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:02 pm

thanks Jeff. ok guy's we all need to thank jeff for scanning these in so you can down load them. I will post the UCII plans as well after I build it. with the new book I hope to add more detail to my plans. all the best craig
cconeill

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:29 pm

The scanned plans....

These have been resized to 1600 x 1200, which should be plenty large enough! The original scans are 5400 x 15506. For originals, please contact Craig.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby cconeill » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi guys
I have the book the kiasers u-boote. it is good. alot of the pictures in the book I have found on the net. but the pictures are better resolution and there are alot I have not seen before. it is worth the price I think. as for the UB-88 plans. the original size was 24 inches high by 8ft long. if you want a copy this size? I will need 20 dollars per sheet. so that is 40 plus shipping. once the deck view is done add 20. got to run. craig
cconeill

Postby cconeill » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Guys
I need you opinions on this. this picture and a very accurate set of plans I have show a ballast tank line here, rosslers frames do not. a picture does not lie. what do you all think. thanks craig
Last edited by cconeill on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cconeill

Postby Roffa » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:02 pm

cconeill wrote:Hi Guys
I need you opinions on this. this picture and a very accurate set of plans I have show a ballast tank line here, rosslers frames do not. a picture does not lie. what do you all think. thanks craig

I just got the drawing from Christian Schmidt (the UB133) to day, and it seems like the ballast tanks "starts" between Spant75 and Spant64 (only 8 spant / bulkheads on this drawing), because the spant75 doesnt have the tanks, but the Spant64 does.
So maybe the angel of the picture just shows the bow section and not the main part of the hull where the tanks are?
Roffa

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:46 pm

Craig,

I'm thinking that the angle that the photo was taking from hides any saddle tank / ballast tank frame lines that may exist.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Re: UB-88 stern

Postby cconeill » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi Guy's
I got a new book. it has 4 sets of UBIII plans. with more frames!! the ballast tank line goes farther back on the hull than forward. Jens and I are discussing this. ready for the next big riddle. the stern. I have searched for along time to find this picture. and it only raises more questions. who can show me how the stern cap opened. I say it has to pull it in back on the hull. because the upper deck casing runs past the tube cap?? I am going with the plans I found. I know it will not be perfect. but I can see the deck casing, I know about how far it runs and the shape of it. the end cap is kicking my butt. so work with me guy's. I am doing alot. some help is needed. also note the aft hydro planes run to the middle of the rudders. not in front of them. it is all about the details. all the best craig
Last edited by cconeill on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cconeill

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads