Banner Ad 1

Royal Navy WWII chariot

R/C Submarine modelers

Royal Navy WWII chariot

Postby Malcolm Hann » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:24 pm

In the spring of 09 I received guidance on building a Royal Navy WWII chariot from members of SubCommittee. The model is complete and I would like to share some pictures.
How do I attach pictures to my posting?
Malcolm Hann

Re: Royal Navy WWII chariot

Postby Sub culture » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Go to the bottom of the text window as shown here and click on the link circled in red-

A small window should open up as shown. Now click on 'browse' circled in red.

This will open up a file window where you browse for your picture files. I usually keep these on my desktop.

Click on the file you want and click 'open' and select the 'family safe' radio button, then click on 'upload it!'.

You should then be returned back to your post, but there will be some text and code in your window, which is the picture you have posted.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Malcolm Hann » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:35 pm

I thought members of SubCommittee may like to see a model I've recently completed.
Some of you gave me ideas for power switches that could be used on submarines. I finaly used a push fit jumper that protrudes just behind the bosons locker.
The model is 1/6th scale (42inches long).
The frogmen took me several attempts to get right. These are nude figures from Monkey House that I painted with modeling paste (thats the lumpy stuff artists use to give texture to pictures). The figures come fully articulated and the price was right at less than $1.00 each.
Now I await spring and liquid water so that I can give the model a run in the local pond.

Malcolm Hann

Postby Sub culture » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:12 pm

Nice. Some modellers here in the UK have built chariots. Notably Alf Blake and the late Steve Webb.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Malcolm Hann » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Last spring Alf Blake shared some amazing pictures of his models with me including several of his chariot.
We then talked, at which time I didn't realize the impact the frogmen have. If anyone is thinking of building a chariot I recommend they start by determining how thay are going to make the frogmen, everything else is straighten forward. Well, amost!
Once two feet of ice has melted off the local pond this little baby will hit the open water....
Malcolm Hann

Postby menatarms » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:00 am

Hey Malcolm, nice Chariot. I've made plans to build the same model. The question I have is how the figures affect the buoyancy, and how they are attached to the model ? Tnx~!

For me it's not a problem to sort out the figures as I've probably coupla hundred 12 inch action figures on hand ..
menatarms

Postby Malcolm Hann » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: message from men at arms..
Buoyancy, that is the "well almost"... I've kept the electronics/watertight compartment quite small filling the rest of the hull with Styrofoam that is "D" shaped, the flat being down and able to fill with water. I can only static test in the bath tub (model is too big). If I have dynamic trim problems I'll add a detachable lead keel.
The frogmen are secured to the upper structure with screws through... you know where.
The upper structure including the frogmen lifts off in one piece giving ample maintenance access.
The upper structure is secured by a screw down fake battery charge point (between the legs of the boson).
The horizontal join between the upper structure and the main part of the boat is partially hidden by longitudinal piping representing the hydraulic control lines and the frogmen legs. The vertical join is hidden by mock flanges.
The power switch is the only item that is out of place; it's a jumper plug that fits just behind the bosons' locker. Perhaps if I were to build another I would have disguised this as the bomb timer.
Malcolm Hann

Postby Sub culture » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:52 am

As I recall, stability was an issue with both version of the chariot built here in the UK.

It would be worthwhile I think to make the figures from foam, at least below neck level, or fill the hollow plastic bodies with expanding PU foam. This will help stability considerably.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler