Banner Ad 1

Project X-4th Generation Akula II

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby PaulC » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:32 pm

You are really putting together a cool looking boat, Wayne. Keep it coming!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Re: Project X-4th Generation Akula II

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:48 am

I was thinking, why only two lights, when I have all those open doors? I also increased the output of the forward LEDs to maximum brightness.
As shown here using a standard 9 volt battery for testing, the system, and boat will be 12 volts.

I was looking at the model, about to start building the standard Akula nav lights, when I looked up on my top bench, and an idea hit me! My Manley 1/96 (same scale) Kilo had fixed navlights on the sail. Cool!!
No building folding light covers, hydrodynamic shape, and fixed!! Quicker dive times :) !
I also tossed the idea of building the flashing yellow light on a stick that goes on the starboard side, and mounted it instead, flush in the center of the sail, just behind the emergancy module on the top. Still international comliant, and now can fast dive without touching the lights :)
After two different methods were tried to cast them from the Kilo sail, I got determined and took some chunks of resin casting scrapes ,grinded, filed, and sanded those dudes into shape :
Clean, yes? And yet, very Russian :)
You can see I also filled in the evil looking scribing that wraps around the front of the sail. It is correct, but subtle on the full size boats. I also changed the square on the side to an angle cut on one side. It is correct to photographs.
Nav lights, of course, have LEDs installed.
The bow light installed. The marker bouy I removed about 1/3 of the thickness, to get near scale, and beveled the edge. I then found a clear 5mm LED and flattened it a little, mounting it on the center. It has a red flasher circuit. This is wired into the "unconventional submurged lighting " circuit with the torpedo lights. 4 more will be added to the lower hull aimed straight down, for a total lighting count of 20 on this hull!
Here, you can see the computer cable I used for the upper hull harness for the LEDs. Lightweight, flat, and neatly bundled. The weird looking resin thing at the front is where the bow light and marker bouy are. I built that so nothing would be in the way of the final bubbles escaping while the boat is diving.
All LEDs are resin sealed with their respective resistors.
The attack periscope is kept simple. I built a capture tube that the scope slides up and locks into the up position with a 45 degree rotation. When not needed, just twist and drop.
While messing around with the hull, I kept looking at the pump jet. It just did not look right. So, I changed the stinger coming out of the shroud to similar to the real Alrosa Kilo pumpjet, and the new CAD drawing of the new Borei. Since they where the same, that was confirmation enough for me.
I did blow up a second pump jet on the Taig lathe. Dang!! Fortunately, I had purchased several from Pete. These are really nice parts, like the rest of his work.
Anyway, it looks more "Russian" now, and I am satisfied.
I also corrected the starboard Orca towed array. While the X tail is mounted correctly, I noticed the tip was not level. Rather take a beating than do it. But , this is too far along to let it slide. The dremel came out, and it got cut off and correctly reattached. It was visible in earlier photos.
The mail guy brought me something while I was tinkering.
The wtc I ordered from Rick at RPM Modeling. He sent me the exact same wtc that fits in his 1/72 Kilo.
3 inch diameter, twin tanks, and real nice craftsmanship. Wow! It fits pretty well below the waterline, so the two tanks (500 ml displacement), should be able to be used efficently. With two tanks, minor trim adjustments, and setting to hover (the thing that really impresses me in an r/c submarine--perfect balance), should be doable.
I will finish detailing the upper, then fit the tow halves together, then get to mounting that dude :)
I will be back later for more... after I take a submarine ride :)
Last edited by Wayne Frey on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:35 pm

your glow-in-the-dark eyes makes it look like this one:

Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Yes.... It is evil looking, isn't it?
(Doctor Evil laugh following)
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:32 pm

I knew this was just bugging everyone. All boats should get a name. I have chosen one from a name I saw all around where I lived in the Ukraine.
Marshell Zhukov.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgy_Zhukov
Soviet awards
Order of the Red Banner (3 times)
Marshal Star
Order of Lenin (6 times)
Gold Star of Hero of the Soviet Union (4 times)
Medal "Of XX of the years of RKKA"
Order of Suvorov 1st class (twice)
Medal "for the defense of Moscow"
Medal "for the defense of Leningrad"
Medal "for the defense of Stalingrad"
Medal "for the defense of the Caucasus"
Order of Victory (twice)
Medal "for the Liberation of Warsaw"
Medal "for the taking of Berlin"
Medal "for the victory over Germany in the Second World War 1941–1945 yr."
Medal "to the memory of the 800th anniversary of Moscow"
Medal "Of XXX of the years of the Soviet Army and Navy"
Medal "40 years of the Soviet Army and navy"
Medal "50 years Armed Forces of the USSR"
Medal "in memory of 250 years—the anniversary of Leningrad"
Medal "Of XX years of Victory in the Second World War 1941–1945"
Order of the October Revolution
Medal "100th Anniversary of Lenin's Birth"

So, you can stop wondering.
It is the Zhukov.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:48 pm

Ok,
The boards are a little quiet, so I will post early. I have been a little busy, so I have not gotten too far.
Here is what I have done:
Completely removed the brace, and torpedo tubes, moved the forward 1/4 inch to clear the WTC, and reinstalled.
I also dressed my wires a little better from front to back. But the torpedo tube lights will not be set in the tubes with RTV until after final paint.
The two dirt dobber looking things at the rear of the hull are a continuation of my obsession with keeping all connections resin sealed. One side has Kevin McLeod's flasher circuit buried in it for the international yellow light on top, and all the other "conventional" lighting goes through here, and everything tied together to one positive and negative drop down wire to the wtc for power.
On the other side, all the "unconventional" lights tie together. Here I also embedded one large resistor for the red flashing light for the marker bouy. Again, everything tied together (torpedo lights too), into one pair of wires for the second circuit.
Note. You can see the playdough in the sail holding the sewing needles in place as the resin dries for the SOKS arrary on the front of the sail overnight.
On the topside, some photoetch glued into place, and brass rods for handrails on the sail, and safety track on the front and rear of the hull. Sanding and filling will improve the looks a lot, I hope.
My camera would not focus on the SOKS array on the leading edge of the sail. This is my second attempt to mount them.
This time, I hogged out a rectangular hole, put playdough inside the sail, and filled it with resin after placing 10 sewing needles in the correct positions. With luck, tomorrow I should be able to remove the dough, cut off the interior excess and sand, sand, sand!!
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Ok,
the boards are about to put me to sleep!! I know other builds are going on, but staying off the boards. Post them. Keep us awake over the winter months until we can all get in the water!!!
I just finished putting the final coat of primer on the upper here. I have yet to remove the primer from the leds, scuff off the rough finish with 400 grit, and clean off the nickle plated sensors.
On the sail, I have the correct number and placement of sewing needles embedded in the leading edge, to represent the SOKS array. On the upper hull, I have twice the complement of sensors that is normally found on a standard Akula. The Zhukov will be using additional computers to process the next gen sensors for even more accurate tracking of hostile submarines.
The fin-like sensors do also have 3 needles each on the leading edge, also representing correctly, the Russian sensors.

And what is this??!!
Now why would I be making a second Russian pump jet on the side, if I already have one??
My next build is already targeted :)
My apologies for slowing down. I am still recovering from the trip to the heart hospital. But I am not done by a long shot!
Look out for my submarine recovery vehicle too. It is under the Christmas tree right now :)
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Wow! Excellent Wayne!

And I agree. As far as I know you and I are it on SC and SP. Oh ya I know there's that guy BD. But he's always building. Wait a minute. So are.

Use it or lose it folks! ;)

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:39 pm

I have something under the tree with Big Dave in mind :)
Toot.... Ha!!! Target builder!! Wait until after Christmas!! I got a thread just for Dave!
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Type 17 for me next with BigDave's design custom built, just for me, 3 inch RCABS-R.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby U552 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:48 am

Hi from Madrid. I'm also bulding this submarine, and my problem is that there's a missalignement between upper and lower hull, I mean: lower hull sides (the edges) tend to curve inwards in a quite big extensión. How can I solve it, with inner frames?

REgards.
J.C. Jorquera.
U552

Postby Wayne Frey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:16 am

I am working on a similar problem right now with mine.
You have been messaged.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby U552 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Just checked with three frames (rear, middle and fore) made up of PVC 4 mm thick, and seems to have a very much better shape both sides. Also have glued 1,5 mm polyestyrene strips in lower hull's lip to help in eliminating void spaces. Looks good. But the bow will need to be trimmed because there appears a variation in shape. More filling and sanding job.

J.C.
U552

Postby Wayne Frey » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Getting into some routine stuff.
Making the saddles/braces for the hull. It is time for two reasons. I have to "pull in" the stern a little, and part of alinging the upper to lower halves. That and it is just about time to put the 3 inch WTC in.
The wooden tool sets the WTC as low as possible in the hull. It nearly touches the taper at the rear, and allows for the lead tire weights that will go underneath it. I also made this to fit in the straight section of the hull. So, I can cast the same part two times and use them to set the WTC to the hull.
I also decided to make this to fit the straight section of the hull to fit another project after this one. In total, I think I will need 10 of these braces for this boat and the next one. Since I am using the high strength resin (for shock impact, this IS a combat vessel :twisted: ), the cure time is 48 hours.
Straight forward stuff. But this will take a while.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:00 pm

If you made a rubber mold you would not have to set up the Clean Clay everytime. :roll:
But you knew that didn't you!! :lol: :mrgreen:
I would have used yellow Lego's as well!! The green ones are junk!! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great work so far Wayne. 8) You have a happy holiday my friend!! BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads