Banner Ad 1

1/350 USS Enterprise RC A sub?

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby junglelord » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:58 am

That pump jet setup he uses is really germain to a lot of models, if you went that way, I can see great results each time. I would love to jam on in a Seaview, modify the rear end (god forbid) and use this setup on one of my Moebius Seaviews.
junglelord

Postby STARK » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:17 am

This certainly a project that is right up my ally Steve and it is Good to see you building again, I hope you work out all the bug’s with this project so myself and other can do the same one day!!

Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby SteveNeill » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:26 pm

Thanks Brian. I'll get back to her soon. At this point it's all cosmetic. A long road as you well know. ;)

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Re: 1/350 USS Enterprise RC A sub?

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:18 pm

So I'm back working on her once more.

I am currently putting white primer and white gloss on the hull and exterior parts. Finally I can put this together. But first you have to light proof it and paint it before you put the windows in.

After that it's fun with lighting.

Pictures later on.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:45 pm

So I'm making progress and the more I do the more I admire this beautiful ship. It's just a spectacular model. Big and beautiful and not a shelf queen either.

There are so many clear windows to tint and add to this model it boggles the mind. Then there's all the lighting to do. Actually that won't be so bad once she's all painted and the 100 Aztec decals and shaders are done. There's no way your going to build this one quick. Just blacking it out on the inside and then making it white again takes a long time. And seaming it will not be easy. I will leave many as just panel lines as you have to paint every part white first before you can add the windows. Masking all those tiny things would drive one mad.

I have most of the windows into the saucer section. The array is tinted as are the nacelles. And a lot of the parts are added now. So it's nearly framed up.

More to come.

Steve

SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby junglelord » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:01 pm

I have one coming, I think its going to be awsome to see my own enterprise in action.
I look forward to your videos to come.

Take care Steve, give my best to the Mrs.
junglelord

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:38 pm

Thanks so much!

Be prepared for a build though. I'll be doing the Aztecs pretty soon and that alone will take a week or so to do right.

Will start lighting this week.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:21 am

Got a bit more done on the Enterprise. All parts are on the ship now. All the windows are in.

Next to do the lighting before I go any further. Fix light leaks and fill some gaps. I need to put some screws through the bottom section of the saucer section so I can open it to replace lights and add foam for trimming. Same with the nacelles. They come off and have connectors for the lights.

Tonight just for a look I stuck and LED plash light in the hanger bay and to my surprise the window light up even like magic. This means I won't need as many lights as I thought before. The white surface inside really reflects even and the windows act like fiber optics. Wow. Cool!

Steve

SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:42 pm

That horrible Paradise and the Kyosho Fortune, not so horrible. Good boat.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby junglelord » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:13 pm

Very simple application of light from a sealed source, a LED flashlight, how perfect.
:D
junglelord

Postby Bill Harris » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:52 am

On large scale RC aircraft I've used the MagLite 3watt incandescent lamp LED upgrade "module" for landing lights. This is a very bright Luxeon white LED in a incand. lamp socket/base, and comes in "2-cell and 3-cell" voltages. I do not know how waterproof it would be, or if "encapsulating" it in clear resin would affect it's cooling (the socket gets a little warm in use).

http://www.maglite.com/D_Cell_LED.asp

For your FWIW File...

--Bill

PS-- In my "kits to do someday stash" I've got a Star Wars Millenium Falcon (AMT, I think) that must be 12" or more across. This build has inspired me... :wink:
--Bill
SC# 3128
Bill Harris

Postby Wayne Frey » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:18 am

For this kind of application a 3 watt I don't see a purpose.
I am at 84 seperate connections, resin impregnated, SO FAR, on my Akula, with 16 LED lights out of 20 on there now. All of them are not even in a watt range, but milli watt, except one. The flashing 5 mm LED on the marker bouy is a 2 watt. And I had to use a pretty big resistor for that dude too!
Truth is, on my 12 volt boat, I have set all the LEDs to a 12 volt system, but have been "testing", as I go along with a square 9 volt battery, and the LEDs actually are over bright! No heat generated anywhere in the system, either.There will be no loosing this one at night.
If you go to the thread for my build, you will see I used computer cable for wiring. Now that was a spiffy idea. I stole it from my static Enterprise build (which I instigated Steve to do this one from). I had obtained a superdetailing book for the Enterprise which gave me the idea.
At the local computer store, the owner was telling me other modellers do this also, and he felt like you could run somewhere around 5 LEDs on a ribbon circuit because they draw so little.
The whole idea is LEDs are super durable, last forever, can be shaped (to a point),and draw a fraction of what incandecent bulbs do.
With 20 lights total on the Akula, I have calculated the draw and it is negligable to my run time.
Something not yet touched on that was in the same superdetailing book is fiberoptics.
Useing fiberoptics in conjunction with LEDs can really streach your mill amp worth out of a project!!!
The possibilities are pretty cool. With the eight 5mm LEDs in the front of mine, It loooks like a mag light in the dark, for sure, no heat, and under 3 watts easy.
But as a spotlight,searchlight, or something, that could be the way to go using the LED Maglight head. Other than that, though, for submarines, I would say look at the lower draw options and take advantage of what LEDs can do.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks guys. I'm running all 3 volt LEDs and they are most bright.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bill Harris » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:40 am

For this kind of application a 3 watt I don't see a purpose. I am at 84 seperate connections, resin impregnated, SO FAR...
A single bright lamp may not be suitable in every instance, but it is an alternative. Consider the elegance of a single LED with many fiber-optic light points and several colors (within limitations of the white LED spectrum). Or a single, wide-angle, diffuse light visible in bright daylight, like a Nautilus salon window light.

More options.

--Bill
--Bill
SC# 3128
Bill Harris

Postby Sub culture » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:05 pm

High wattage LED's do tend to be far more fussy about driving requirements, generally needing low voltage (unless multi die) and high current, and the voltage needs to be regulated. This means switch-mode in either buck or boost mode unless you want a very bulky and inefficient converter.

Power LED's also need heatsinks, and they need to be well specced.

Fortunately subs are surrounded by the best heatsink out there, water.

All the same, 3mm and 5mm LED's are a lot more straightforward, especially for those with only basic electrical/electronics knowledge.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads