Banner Ad 1

WTC question

R/C Submarine modelers

WTC question

Postby charlotte515 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:03 am

New guy here need some help.

I purchased this sub http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109323

The sub runs good, blows the ballest well, but will not vent.
I cannot get it to submerge when standing still.

Sitting still the conning tower is submerged to about the planes.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by charlotte515 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlotte515

Postby SubICman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:09 am

I clicked on the link and it took me to the Forum index

Tim
When surfaced, the bridge access hatch can be optionally open or shut, however, when submerged it is required to be shut. (Really a no s***t precaution from a procedure in use in the sub fleet today.)
SC #3116
SubICman
SubCommittee Member

Postby charlotte515 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:40 am

SubICman wrote:I clicked on the link and it took me to the Forum index

Tim

Changed link, sorry did not check it it was for sale here did not sale and the thread was closed maybe thats why it would not work. The above link does work.

Thanks,

David
charlotte515

Postby cnutting » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:55 am

The builder probably trimmed it somewhat positively buoyant. This is done as a safety, slight forward motion and down planes will bring her under. Stop the boat and she comes up.
When the tank is blown dry, does it sit higher in the water? If so, then this is correct.
Then this is a day of Independence.
For all the Munchkins and their descendants.
cnutting

Postby charlotte515 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:59 am

cnutting wrote:The builder probably trimmed it somewhat positively buoyant. This is done as a safety, slight forward motion and down planes will bring her under. Stop the boat and she comes up.
When the tank is blown dry, does it sit higher in the water? If so, then this is correct.

When blown she pops right up then settles back to the nuetral position.

Thanks that's exactly whats happening, makes sense. I had seen some videos of subs submerging from a stop. I will leave it alone and play.
charlotte515

Postby cnutting » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:10 pm

Just to clarify, when dry she sits at the designed waterline. When vented, she submerges to the fairwater planes. All good.

Some people like to trim perfectly neutral, but if you are new, being somewhat positive is better.
Then this is a day of Independence.
For all the Munchkins and their descendants.
cnutting

Postby charlotte515 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:15 pm

cnutting wrote:Just to clarify, when dry she sits at the designed waterline. When vented, she submerges to the fairwater planes. All good.

Some people like to trim perfectly neutral, but if you are new, being somewhat positive is better.

That I will have to confirm, I've only had 2 runs with it. I'm about to hit the road for the weekend but will get some pics and post when I get back.
Thanks
charlotte515

Postby maverick pro » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:36 pm

adjust the the linkage in the ballest tank so at full trvel it will open the vent. this sub will dive standing still.

...mike
maverick pro

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:28 am

You said it pops up and then settles back down? Sounds like the vent is stuck open, or the linkage is not adjusted properly. If I'm reading it right, you've got a boat ballasted slightly positive and a stuck vent.

Take out the WTC and drop it in the tub. Its far easier to see what the heck is going on when its right in front of you and visible than to guess what's happening inside a model 10' away from you.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:55 am

As always - any unsolvable problems can usually be remedied by dropping an email to the manufacturer. However, if it isn't venting it's usually an easy fix.

Look at the bottom of the ballast area of the cylinder - in particular, the big holes into the ballast tank. Note the two nuts on a threaded rod in the ballast area. One nut controls the venting (aft nut I think), the other controls the gas blow (forward nut). Turn the vent nut a little, then put the cylinder in the tub and try venting it with the transmitter. If it doesn't vent, turn the nut a little more.

Once both the vent and blow are working, put a tiny bit of silicone on the nuts to keep them from turning. Note - don't crank the nuts down tightly against the brass actuator - they need a little room or they'll bind.

NOTE - When the cylinder is in the tub, make sure there isn't a little gas bubbling into the tank from the blow valve, slowly blowing the ballast. If so, turn the blow nut until it isn't pressing against the actuator unless you are commanding a blow with your transmitter.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby xxl » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:02 pm

I think that is a caswell product
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Return to R/C Modeler