Banner Ad 1

Disney Nautilus has her maiden voyage!

R/C Submarine modelers

Disney Nautilus has her maiden voyage!

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:42 pm

The maiden voyage has occurred! We chose the man-made lake at the Quarry here in Naples for her first trials. The water was bathtub warm and fairly clear. There was a substantial bank of weeds about thirty feet out, however the bottom up to that point was sandy, soft and clear!

Al Nucifora, the owner of the boat, and I had prepped the sub for operations back at my shop, so when we got there, we just needed to drop it in the water and have some fun!

She performed beautifully! There was a small issue with my emergency buoy system not being set properly, and it popped after only a few minutes of operation. The good news is that it worked (just too quickly!). It will be just a matter of adjusting the potentiometers to properly set the delay time in order to get that rectified. With just a turn of the skiff, we locked it down, electing to continue running rather than take the model out of the water and reset everything.

Speed was not quite as fast as I had anticipated, however in retrospect the Nautilus' hull is not conducive to speed at all, with tremendous drag induced by the salon pushouts and the thousands of rivets on the hull. She did put up a huge bow wake, though, and was very impressive on the water. That is really the advantage of having a substantial-sized hull! You WILL notice it on the water!

The turning radius I would estimate as being 18' in open water. I think that could be reduced with the addition of a clear rudder estension, however for lakes or other larger open water it is just fine! Diving was perfectly flat and very predictable.

We did have one "incident" however!

Both Al and I were having so much fun and concentrating so much on taking photos that we neglected to count the blow cycles, and the model ended up out of gas for the ballast system! What ended up happening was that when Al noticed the lack of gas for ballast, he let off the throttle as a precaution. The model settled onto the weedy bottom of the lake and became entrapped to the point that it could not force its way through the weedy forest and back to shore. Al and I bit the bullet and elected to wade in after it immediately. Fortunately the water was very warm and fairly clear. After only five minutes of searching, we came across the Nautilus resting peacefully and waiting for us to find her. The very bright LED lights (especially the tail light behind the skiff) made finding her a lot easier. We brought her to shore, checked out the systems and popped her back in the water for a few final shots before we packed up for home!

All in all, a very successful first voyage! Both I and Al were really happy with her performance, and she will no doubt be a huge head turner both in and out of the water at the pond wherever its taken!

Onto the video, of course!:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/KcTZtY1AKMY[/youtube]

And the photos!:

Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:58 pm

This has an extremely high drool factor.
Excellent job.

Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Al Nuci » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:05 am

Ahead All Engines, Collision Speed, Full!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtjjLgiGgx8
Al Nuci

Postby junglelord » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:11 am

High Drool Factor? Exponental Non Linear Drool Factor...
:lol:
junglelord

Postby tabledancer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:28 am

I was waiting for Kirk Douglas to step out onto the deck of the "SEA MONSTER"!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Very nice indeed,and to think I gave this boat a lot of thought before I ordered my Type XXI from Matt.

TD :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby Bill Harris » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:29 am

I've been following this wonderful creation. Like most kids of this era, I have wanted to build a Disney Nautilus ever since I was a kid in the late 1950's. Even though I was sub-10 years old, I remember knowing and drawing every curlique and detail of this ship. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

I still want to build one some day. I wonder if this 'glas hull will ever be available? :wink:

This will probably get me ostracized by the true scale builders, but here is a quick-and-dirty idea I've recently had to come up with a Nautilus. This boat has a very commanding presense on the surface of the water. The wheelhouse, top deck and tail fin are distinctive. I am thinking that you could do a "smoke and mirrors" mockup, building a modern RC "atomic sub", like a Kilo, and adding the proper-looking Nautilus superstructure to the upper side. And lights, plenty of bright lights. Not good scale, but "stand-way-back-and-squint" scale.

Still, following this scale project with interest...

--Bill
Bill Harris

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:32 am

If you're looking for a hull, I can get them for you in 69th scale (31" OAL) and 32nd scale (66.5" OAL).

Info and pricing can be found at http://www.nautilusdrydocks.com.

There are SubDriver kits all ready for the 31" kits, and one currently in development for the 66" model for people who are interested in getting WTC's ready to go.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bill Harris » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:03 am

Ah, I see now. I was thinking that the "Nautilus Drydocks" models were (heavy) resin display-only models.

I'n interested, but let me get a couple of years experience with RC subs behind me (this is my first adventure with subs). And in 2 years, SS kicks in and my house gets paid off, so I'll need something to celebrate the survival of a career... :D

How durable is cast resin? I'm thinking it's rather like Bobdo, but I have the impression that it is brittle ("chipable"). I worked with resin pieces on a display model a few years back but never did any destructive testing.

--Bill
Bill Harris

Postby Bill Harris » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:18 am

Both Al and I were having so much fun and concentrating so much on taking photos that we neglected to count the blow cycles, and the model ended up out of gas for the ballast system! ...The model settled onto the weedy bottom of the lake...
I should probably mention this in a new message, but Eagletree Systems makes on-model data loggers and remote telemetry systems for RC planes, etc.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/

The telemetry might be useable on RC subs, and at least the data loggers would real-time operating parameters.

FWIW

--Bill
Bill Harris

Return to R/C Modeler