Banner Ad 1

1st Static Dive R/C Submarine Kit

R/C Submarine modelers

1st Static Dive R/C Submarine Kit

Postby MHISNR » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:42 am

Hello, and thank you all for welcoming me as one of your newest members to the subcommittee. I am new to R/C model submarines and would like some advice on building my first model. I have built a lot of surface R/C ships. My question is; Which kit is a good first “static dive” R/C model submarine? If you can please tell me where I could purchase it as well, that would be great! Thanks; MHISNR
MHISNR

Re: 1st Static Dive R/C Submarine Kit

Postby Carcharadon » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:49 am

MHISNR wrote:Hello, and thank you all for welcoming me as one of your newest members to the subcommittee. I am new to R/C model submarines and would like some advice on building my first model. I have built a lot of surface R/C ships. My question is; Which kit is a good first “static dive” R/C model submarine? If you can please tell me where I could purchase it as well, that would be great! Thanks; MHISNR

I bet you've got a lake with CLEAR water?
Carcharadon

Postby cnutting » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:33 am

Most anything from Small World Models.
ALBACORE from SubTech/Mike's Subworks is a nice project as well.
Then this is a day of Independence.
For all the Munchkins and their descendants.
cnutting

Postby tsenecal » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:50 am

I whole heartedly also recommend small world models.
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:59 am

The Thundertiger Neptune (from what I hear) is a great little sub. Its got a bona fide ballast system, its cheap, and its a great way to understand how things go together without finding yourself having to build it right out of the gate. I think you can pick them up for around $500 if you look hard enough.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Thunder Tiger is bringing in a Tiger Shark, looks like the same boat from Ark models. Price may be in the $400 range ready to go. Mikes subworks had one at Carmel. This is a water pump type of dive system. Watching the video on Ark models site, this looks like a fun boat to have. The Neptune is a versitle sub also. Runs great and you can put a camera in it for filming the sites of your local pond. Caswell/Merriman have some good running subs also. Go to the Caswell plating site and look for rc subs.
Good luck,
Frank
fgroza

First static build

Postby T. Schulte » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:41 pm

Well, What type of sub are you interested in? WW II, nuke, sci fi, there's probably several choices. Sincerely, Ted Westminster, CO.
T. Schulte
SubCommittee Member

First static diving sub.

Postby Mike Dory » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:55 pm

Howdy - Welcome to one of the most challenging hobbies in the world.
Some things you might give some thought to before investing in your boat. (1) What boats are you interested in? Bosts cost a fair amount of both money and time. be sure you pick some thing that you have a real passion for or it may never get built. (2) What do you have to transport your boat around in? 1/32 scale boats are mostly between 7 and 10 ft long, not only do you need a Pick up truck or van but someone to help you move it around in the shop. match your boat to what you can transport. (3) Find someplace where you would like to run. Your going to want to know how deep it is and what the bottom looks like. Keep in mind all Subs sink. The only question is which one's are coming back. A lot of lakes have so much trash and other vegetation that they can easily trap your boat on the bottom. Driving your boat into an unseen overturned shopping cart is not unheard of. I like Small World models subs, for beginners. There easy to build, very detailed, and well thought out. There are many differnt diving systems on the market, Learn as much as you can about each of them. Pick one that your comfortable with. You might look at picking up back issues of the Sub Committee report, most of the diving systems have been reported on in great detail in the past. Feel free to ask any questions here. Find other guys who run subs in your area and go see them run. You want to talk to the guys who's boats runs well all the time. Not just those who talk alot, at the side of the pool.....And most of all have fun. .... Best Wishes Mike Dory
Mike Dory

Postby Pirate » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:55 am

There are DVDs of SubCommittee Report back issues from 1-31 and 32-60-something, roughly. That's nearly all of them. $99 each. Contact Don Osler about purchasing if you're interested.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby xxl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 pm

Heres the guys i like Small world models, Big dave designs, Mikes sub works, Engel( very pricey)
Thats it orther i either had unpleasent experieces or dont know
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Return to R/C Modeler