Banner Ad 1

DOCUMENT TAPE AND PHOTOGRAPH !

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby Sub culture » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:49 pm

My knowledge of anything to do with html coding or webpage development is virtually zero, I'm afraid.

I do what I can, but that is one area I have zero knowledge of.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:09 am

Guys, please consider that any new site for the SubCommittee will only dilute the actual SubCommittee site. For maximum impact we should have as many people as possible hitting the SubCommittee site and not splitting their time on a "sub" SubCommittee site.

Eric, perhaps there's a way to work with Raalst to incorporate your idea on the SubCommittee's site. The Forum is in a way already a blog area.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby eckloss » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:21 am

ok, let me lay this out on the table.

within 10 minutes of arriving at the regatta friday the comment was made to me that "some people are pissed at you for grabbing subregatta.com"...bla bla bla.

listen up folks.... here's the deal: my intentions are NOT to create a site that in any way is meant to compete with, detract from, or step on the toes of the subcommittee.com website. IT IS MEANT TO COMPLIMENT and ADD TO our subcommittee home. simple as that!

i thought i was doing something helpful by simply trying to offer my own design abilities, the server space i have available to me, my money (its not cheap to host a photo archive site the size of which this could grow to, with hundreds, if not thousands of photos and videos), my time, etc to have a one-stop-shop for memories of the greatest event of the last 18 years, the regatta. i see it no different as me paying my dues, buying craploads of raffle tickets, buying from our great vendors, or any other such thing that is intended to SUPPORT our hobby. ive been a member for 10 years now, and ive always treid to find some little way to give back. this is nothing more than another way for me to show my support.

if i didnt express my intentions clearly enough at first, then let me do so now: the site, if in fact i do it at all, would be littered with banners and endlessly linked back to subcommittee.com. ....extension of, not competition.

im tired of the drama and ridiculous bickering that has gone on in the recent past. thats why i dont frequent the message boards as much as i once did. when i have a specific question, i usually email directly the people who i know will have the answer. i said as much in a conversation just 2 days ago with skip, brelsford, myles, and others.

if this idea of mine is going to cause some kind of drama, or even give the hint of it, then whoever wants the domain name can have it. i already pay hundreds of dollars a year for the server space and bandwidth that i use for other sites in other hobbies of mine. so the whopping $9.99 i spent for buying the domain is no sweat of my back. if the subcommittee wants it, they can have it. consider it 10 more raffle tickets i bought.

im sorry for the tone of this, but im not going to allow this to become another source of drama or tension. its not worth it to me. so what it comes down to is this: if people would like an archive memory site of regattas past, id be happy to do it. if not, so be it.

now please excuse me while i go build something.

erich
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:41 am

Eric,
I think you hit on something here. You mentioned links and banners back to subcoommittee.com, what if you set up your site to look like another area of the subcommittee site, not a separate site? What if you keep all the same links that are on subcommittee.com, and subcommittee.com adds a link to subregatta photo archive (which will really go to your site at subregatta.com) . Then it will look like one is not leaving the subcommittee site at all, just another part of it. Your look could be similar enough to look like it is part of the SubCommittee site, even though it is on a completely different URL and server. This could serve to not give the impression of taking viewers away from the SubCommittee site at all, AND have a special section for just the SubRegatta photos.

And by the way, I just mentioned my post above as something to consider, I wasn't mad at you for anything.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:18 pm

In thinking about this subject it occurs to me that for the past several years I have gone to the boards for images of the subregattas. That's where the pics of the event show up first. And when I want to look at them in the future I just pull up the thread.

I realize this is something many people won't do -- especially newcomers to the site, etc.

I'm confident Eric will do a good job supporting the SubCommittee if he choses to create his own site. The more places to find the images the better.

A category for SubRegatta 2009 has been created in the subcommittee.com image gallery for those who wish to post to it. If anyone wants to help copy the images from the forum threads and add them to the gallery that would be appreciated.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas