Banner Ad 1

DOCUMENT TAPE AND PHOTOGRAPH !

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

DOCUMENT TAPE AND PHOTOGRAPH !

Postby raalst » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 am

this is THE event of the year,

please be sure to save it in any way you can
for posterity, new recruits and the guys not able to attend (like me).

and show it off on this forum.

pretty pleeease ?

have a great regatta !

Regards,
Ronald
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby eckloss » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:28 am

If anyone would be interested, I'd be more than happy to start an archival website dedicated to photos, videos, blogs, etc from regattas past. i have tons of storage space and bandwidth that could easily accommodate more than a decades worth of memories.

thoughts?
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:36 pm

There are usually many SubRegatta attendees who are amateur photographers and videographers who post some photos and videos to this site. There also have been members who are professional videographers who have covered the previous SubRegattas extensively, and sold excellent tapes/DVD's of their hard work at very reasonable cost. I hope to benefit from these recordings again because I won't be able to attend this year.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby eckloss » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:41 pm

i just purchased SubRegatta.com

after this years regatta, i will start work on the archive site. i hope everyone will participate with ANY photos and videos from regatta past.

there are many many many photos posted here on this site. i simply want to provide a place where they can all be organized as an easy go-to reference site.

if anyone has any photos or videos they wish to send my way, please email them to me at eckloss@mac.com...include the regatta year, location, and any information about each photo (ie whos boat/what boat, etc).

just one more little way i can help contribute to the hobby.

see some of you next week in indy!

erich
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Postby Boss subfixer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:30 pm

We have an archive, look here.
http://subcommittee.com/SubComm/photos.cfm

Not that I'm trying to squash what your doing. It's not as complete as it was. I still have some stuff from the old sites I think.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Boss subfixer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:54 pm

John do you have any pictures to add? Do you want to volunteer to keep the archive/photo gallery updated? Ecklos talked about starting an archive, I merely pointed him to the one we already have. Again I'm not trying to squash his idea. At least he is trying to find something to do for the hobby and I applaud him for that.
Just in case your wondering what I do for the hobby, I am on the SCR editorial staff, I do the quarterly writeup for my local SubRon and I also helped in the migration of those old outdated photos from the old board to the new one. Now I'm a little fuzzy on the procedure but anyone that wants to have their pictures in the gallery can submit them to the webmaster or admin with a brief description and they will be placed in the gallery. If I got that wrong then sorry. Maybe someone in the know should weigh in on that one.

Ron I apologize to you because It seems your thread has been hijacked.
If this part of the discussion is to continue then lets move it to it's own thread
Any way I hope all that attend the regatta have a grand old time.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Boss subfixer

Postby eckloss » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:58 pm

please understand im not trying to step on toes. i just enjoy side web design, and doing an archive site would only compliment those on the subcommittee website. plus it would help keep me focused on my own sub building, and provide personal motivation (seeing all those great boats that show up every year fuels my fire!)

one thing that i wanted to do, but simply dont have the time for, is a sub related podcast. ive been doing podcasting for a while on a completely unrelated subject, but enjoy the interview and review format. i had thought about bringing some gear to the regatta this year and try to get a few people to sit down with me to get enough material for a pilot subcom podcast episode, but with my work schedule, im not sure at this point if i can devote the proper time to it right now. but food for future thought. ive been a part of the committee since 98 or 99, in a very quiet, sidelines kind of way. its time i gave back something to all those who have helped me over the years, and try to get the word out on our hobby. having a podcast pop up on itunes or google when someone searches for submarine could certainly get a few more people "in".
Last edited by eckloss on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eckloss
SubCommittee Member

Postby Boss subfixer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:11 pm

eckloss wrote:please understand im not trying to step on toes. i just enjoying side web design, and doing an archive site would only compliment those on the subcommittee website. plus it would help keep me focused on my own sub building, and provide personal motivation (seeing all those great boats that show up every year fuels my fire!)

one thing that i wanted to do, but simply dont have the time for, is a sub related podcast. ive been doing podcasting for a while on a completely unrelated subject, but enjoy the interview and review format. i had thought about bringing some gear to the regatta this year and try to get a few people to sit down with me to get enough material for a pilot subcom podcast episode, but with my work schedule, im not sure at this point if i can devote the proper time to it right now. but food for future thought. ive been a part of the committee since 98 or 99, in a very quiet, sidelines kind of way. its time i gave back something to all those who have helped me over the years, and try to get the word out on our hobby. having a podcast pop up on itunes or google when someone searches for submarine could certainly get a few more people "in".

As far as I'm concerned I don't see you as stepping on anyones toes. As I said earlier your thinking of ways to give back and that's a good thing.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Boss subfixer

Postby spongjim » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:14 pm

How many pictures do you want ? I have about three or four hundred pictures of the past three regattas.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby spongjim » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:33 pm

I post a ton of pictures every year during the Regatta above a below the water . When I first got into the subs there were only afew websites that posted action pictures. I post all that I can now for everyone to look at. I was asked last year to shoot some pictures for the guys who couldnt make the regatta . If you need some pictures of the last few regattas let me know I keep all of them on both of my laptops so I can cruise through them at times. Here is a couple ,Duck hunting seaview.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 am

Guys,

Members are welcome to upload their pictures of anything sub related to our existing photo galleries. Just log in and click "photos" under the Member Tools menu at the top of the page. Choose from the list of categories and upload your images. You can even add a caption. If you don't see a category that fits, let me know and I will create a new one.

Once you images have been uploaded, they will be approved and become visible on the site. This prevents inappropriate material being added.

If you have any questions regarding this procedure let me know and I will be glad to help.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:17 am

Why do we have to go through approval for photo's and request sections to be set-up- that isn't required on the forum is it.

I believe the forum is isolated from the main site, or to put it another way, members have forgotten about the homepage. Why?

I think one reason is that the forum has a weblink that is non descriptive,and also there is no link that I know of from the forum to the homepage.

Something else I'd like to mention- if memory serves me correctly photo's uploaded to the main page are limited to a rather low resolution.
Is that the case? Or is it simply that many of the photos are rather old and therefore were low resolution anyway.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:40 pm

Andy,

In a nutshell, the photo galleries are what they are because that's the way they were created. The website hosts the photos in the gallery, unlike the forum which uses an outside image host. This was the user interface created to upload and categorize images. It was put in place many years before I got here (before Bob too).

I'm on the forum right now and the top link in the main menu on the left says "home" which takes you to the main website page. Perhaps you are looking at the forum only without the frames?

I'm not 100% sure regarding your resolution question. If memory serves, images uploaded to the site are limited to a certain max size. If it is bigger than that then the image is reduced to fit the format which degrades the clarity.

My opinion is members have forgotten about the homepage because it is static and has little to offer. Unfortunately, my subcommittee time has been siphoned off into other areas and I have not been able to address an upgrade.

If we have any ColdFusion or PHP developers in the ranks I'd love to speak with them.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:20 am

best way to create dead silence, paul.
btw it is hard to read with a mobile. but it's a way to get my fix...
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 am

Hi Ronald,

I hope your time off is going well. Yes, viewing on a mobile device is a whole new wrinkle to the website.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas