Banner Ad 1

Clear water

South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida Local Chapter

Clear water

Postby Carcharadon » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:25 am

I know this is probably a lost cause but I've been trying to find clear water around Savannah. Tom Triplett Park has about three or 4 foot visibility but I was looking for something on the order of 6 foot or better. I'd like to try to make some underwater videos. I know about the springs in Florida, dove there several times but unless you stay over it makes for a long driving day. As I recall Gilligan's was about the same as Tom Triplett Park.

Many years ago I dove in a borrow pit not too far from Savannah but I can't remember where. It was crystal clear water about an acre in size and an all sandy bottom, 30-40 foot depth. It was the closest thing to a swimming pool, but very boring as a dive, just the sandy bottom a few plants and hardly any fish. But it would be great for an underwater submarine video.

There is a website that lists state parks in Georgia but doesn't really give specific water clarity information. I've even checked with the local dive shops but they either go offshore 15 to 20 miles out to get clear water or go to the springs in Florida. I dove in lakes elsewhere every bit as clear as the Florida Springs, but nothing that I know of around Savannah or even North Florida.

So does anybody know of any good spots with clear water other than a community pool? Well for that matter even a community pool if it would be feasible to film underwater without going through a lot of waivers and paperwork?
Carcharadon

Postby Polaris » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:13 am

This place has been tossed around a few times as a possible meeting place. Looks like some awsome water, but how many swimmers would we have to navigate around?

http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/
# 3090

Good Judgement comes from expirence, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgement.
Polaris

Postby Carcharadon » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:50 am

It would be a long trip for me, but this is probably the only way I'll get to see clear water.
Carcharadon

Postby Polaris » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:12 am

Quit the trip from Florence, SC too.

But, If we could get the majority of the subcomdeepsouth guys together it would make for a worth while trip.
# 3090

Good Judgement comes from expirence, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgement.
Polaris

Postby Carcharadon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:17 am

Here are some nearby Borrow Pits that I will check out. The new maping capabilites are a big help. Problem is that most of these pits are on private property.

Carcharadon

Postby Scott T » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:00 am

Why are they called borrow pits?

Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carcharadon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:39 am

Not really sure but you need a Sate of Georgia Permit to dig a hole in your back yard and use the sand in the front yard. Talk about bureaucracy? They borrow the sand usually used for road construction although there is never an intent to return the sand after its "borrowed". Probably more appropriately called a translocation pit but that was probably too complicated for the law makers.
Carcharadon

Postby Carcharadon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Well this looks to me like it's another failed real estate development. Somebody made a deal with the state of Georgia to "borrow the sand" and then they were left with a nice little pond which they could develop with homesites on the perimeter. There are still bulldozers on the property but it looks like this project was dropped or abandoned a while ago. I can tell by the side slopes this is a very deep pond, probably an exclusive sandy bottom, but water quality only has a visibility of a few feet at best. Oh well.

Carcharadon

Postby g2tiger » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:41 am

Hey all!

At one time the guys here in Jax had done a regatta at a Olympic size pool in Lake City, FL. It was free to us as a public attraction during the end of the season or something like that. There was enough room for Warren's large U-boat and the mid to smaller sized models worked fine.

If anyone is interested I can see about a second event since we were invited back.

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carcharadon » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:30 am

Sounds good to me. Is that an outdoor pool?

Could this be it?

Carcharadon

Postby Carcharadon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Latest video,

http://home.comcast.net/~ryourk/727.wmv

Wish I could see it when it goes under!
Carcharadon

Postby g2tiger » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Looks like the pool. It is actually large enough to run some good sized subs in there. I have a call in to Mike Wilson to see what he can help with.
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubComDeepSouth