Banner Ad 1

OTW Type VII-U-82 Build

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Postby Albion » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:06 pm

mickm wrote:why are these called stuffing boxes?

They are stuffed, but with a type of square rope called packing, so also called packing box's. The rope is typically greased as well. today with modern materials the packing is generally PTFE impreganated
Albion

Postby mickm » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi Guys,
I've been busy working on a few more items on the boat.
These include a working periscope/hatch movment sequence as well
as working torpedos. More on these later.
Before I add the front bulk heads that will locate/control the bow & stern topedo tubes I decided I should probably get to the dreaded task of opening all those limbering holes.
At first it was taking me 15-25 mins per slot! :? Finally, a beneficial trip to Lowes and $35 later, I had a few tools that made the job much easier with better results. I now can make 25 slots in 30 minutes!!!! :lol:
If anyone is building this boat and interested in what I did, I'll be glad to share. Otherwise, I must assume I was the only one who did not have a clue how to make this less than a year long task.
Remember, the moral behind my build is to show newbies (like me) how to do some of these task that you experienced bubble heads take for granted.
Anyway, here is the boat as she looks now. Yep, I know there are still many slots to be cut in the lower bow sections. That will come soon.

I cut out the upper torpedo doors but will take a bit to decide how to open the lower due to the thickness of the front portion of the hull. I am thinking this will have to be completely cut out and a new door fashioned to fit properly so there will be adquate room for the hinge.

I made my first torpedo. It is fashioned after Mike Dory design. While I have read all possible about different ways to make a working torpedo this appears to be the simplest method. And that appeals to me every time.
It isn't ready for testing yet. It still lacks the firing pin bushing and fins that have the rifling bend but it will work in getting the torpedo tubes and launching mechanism located properly.

That's all for now, be back soon.
Cheers!
Mickm
mickm

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:08 pm

She's coming along quite nicely. You've got most (all?) of the hard work done....it's almost time to get that camouflague scheme on the hull. I can't wait to see how that'll look!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby mickm » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:46 am

I've added the floors and forward bulkhead for the torpedo tubes in the hull. The tubes will be removable for servicing but the bulkhead will be siliconed into position once everything is where it needs to be.
The tubes are aluminum tubing that has a .030" larger ID than the OD of the torpedos.
Next I'll be hinging the torpedo tube doors and their actuators.

Cheers!
Mickm
mickm

Type VII

Postby tincanrider » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:36 pm

OK I will bite, what is the device that make it simple for doing the flood/limber holes. Keith
tincanrider

Postby mickm » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Tincanrider,
Well, It seems there is not a lot of information (that I could find) on exactly how to drill/cut these flooding holes. I learned by trying different scenerios and a lot of filling/sanding down previous mistakes.
I started by drilling out holes on each end of the slot, then one in the middle and rasping away the remaining material with a small file. This took forever. Finally, a trip to Lowe's produced several small filling/cutting attachments to my dremel tool that surely couldn't do anything but help.
So, here is a very simple explaination for the newbie like myself doing this for the first time.

1. Attach your templet and drill out the two holes in the ends of the slot.

2. The best tool I found was this cutting bit that will remove material in a straight line between the holes.

3. This is the slots once the cutting is completed. All that is left now is very minor filing with a small jewelers file.

The finished result. NO putty was used.

Had I been able to read this prior to my efforts, several frustrating hours could have been saved.

The one thing I find missing in this particular aspect of radio control modeling is information for the "know nothing" newbie like myself.
I know there are many very talented modelers in this sport that are gracious with their wisdom and experience, when asked. But it would be awesome if this was available to the beginner without having to feel like you are pestering the more experienced modelers with every detail of your build.

Just my opinion.

I hope this helps someone.
Cheers!
Mickm
mickm

Postby SteveNeill » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Nice job. Keep at it.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby mickm » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Thanks for the kind words Steve.
I have rifled thru your website more than a few times trying to learn from a master.
Cheers!
Mickm
mickm

Postby SteveNeill » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:36 pm

I'm hardly a master but I do appreciate it. If I can be of any help just ask.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Re: OTW Type VII-U-82 Build

Postby mickm » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:13 pm

Hello all,
I haven't been able to do any work on my sub for some time due to family illnesses.
We lost my dad 3 weeks ago. He was a great american and a member of the Great Generation who served in
WWII.

I have found some time to proceed and have decided to redo (am I already redoing things) the tower hatch. Originally, I used the
plastic turret and glued the arms to that. After giving this some thought, I decided it better to have a complete brass hatch with all
components soldered together.
I did not think to take pics of the deck hatch but I did snap a couple of the rear deck hatch. I will make the one deck hatch give access to the
air filler valve for the periscopes and the other the on/off switch.
To make the hatches, I first machined a tool to form the turret. Then I machined a brass washer to the proper specs and soldered the two together.
Next a sleeve,bushing configuration was soldered below the decking and the arms soldered to the bushing and the turret.
The hatchs seem to work perfectly to this point.

here is the hatch in it's closed position. I soldered two small tabs to the bottom of the decking as stops.

Here is the hatch in it's open position. I still need to add the barrel and mounting surface for the air valve.

I have started the wintergarden. I made a wooden buck to use here that worked well in keeping the railing level with the windergarden decking.
I used a .02 x .10" piece of brass that replicates the raised edge on on the real boat. It proved to been a big help in soldering the vertical stancions
into position. More work to be done here.

During my time away from this project, I inadvertantly lost a set of the large hatch arms. Would anyone have this kit be willing
to part with a pair? If your not making working hatches their of little value. If anyone needs the original plastic hatchs I will be glad to
supply them.

Cheers,
Mickm
mickm

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Mickm,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. That generation was the best in my book. He will be missed but honored as there was never a greater period in history to have contributed too. These men and women will always be true heroes to me.

The boat looks great. I'm glad you got back to her. Building models has got me through many a hard time and loss of someone close. It kind of gets you back on course again. Just what the doctor ordered.

Keep building and posting!

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Re: OTW Type VII-U-82 Build - source of template?

Postby roedj » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:49 pm

mickm,

Very nice job. One question (for now) though, where did you obtain the template for the limber holes? I can see how it saves a lot of time.

Thanks,

Dan
"By doing just a little every day you can gradually let the task completely overcome you." - Wil Baden
roedj
SubCommittee Member

Postby mickm » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi all,
Steve,
Thanks for the kind words. I too believe the Great Generation was a awesome effort on eveyone's part. Never in our courtry's history has eveyone pulled together as they did then.
I hope they are never forgotten for their contributions.
You are right, getting my head back into my model has been very therapeutic.

Dan,
I machined out the smaller templates and would be glad to share these with anyone who can use them. As for the longer ones they were supplied by a fellow SubCommitee member. I was/am in hopes that I could get a metal version of
these made but the economy (here at work) has not allowed that to happen.

Cheers!
Mickm
mickm

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:17 pm

...maybe that was me? I created an AutoCAD drawing of the fore casing vents that were 'adjusted' to work with the rivet pattern of the OTW hull....

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby mickm » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Happy Holidays guys,
I have pretty much completed the interior of the tower on my boat and thought I would post a couple pics for those interested.
The only thing left before painting is the wall wood and wood seats. These will be added later.

I made a new hatch entirely from brass. I didn't trust the first sample just being glued together.

Everything in the tower was made using brass except the vent stacks which are ABS.

The port antenna will telescope up and down. The radar loop can be raised and lowered, and will swivel in the raised position.
The scopes (held in position by tape) will be raised and lower by radio control (more on that later.

The machine gun was made using all brass except the body and deck mount. It will swivel up and down, rotate 360 degs.,raise and lower 1".

This is the rear deck hatch, It will hide the air valve for the scopes eventually while the front hatch will cover the on/off swith.
I made a forming tool to make the hatch shell while the arms are brass pieces that came in the deck kit.

That it for now
Happy Holidays,
Mickm
mickm

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads