Banner Ad 1

Engel Lafayette

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Engel Lafayette

Postby pigeonfarmboy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Well I just ordered a Lafayette kit. This will be my first build so I wanted to start with something simple like you guys have suggested. Once I opened the Robbe U-47 I was overwhelmed immediately so I'll save that for a later time.

I noticed most of the build threads for the Lafayette are linked to subpirates and the links seem to be dead. If you guys that have build pics wouldn't mind posting them here, that'd be alot of help.

I have quite an extensive background in R/C but nothing to do with boat building. My main R/C interest is building scale Rock Crawling trucks. I can work with abs styrene and brass quite well but I've never done any glass work. Here's some examples of some of my past projects:

You can also check out my youtube channel if you're interested in the crawling stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/pigeonfarmboy
pigeonfarmboy

Re: Engel Lafayette

Postby Polaris » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:52 pm

pigeonfarmboy wrote:
I noticed most of the build threads for the Lafayette are linked to subpirates and the links seem to be dead. If you guys that have build pics wouldn't mind posting them here, that'd be alot of help.

The reason they seem to be dead links is because you need to join Subpirates to gain access to them, without a paid subscription you will only be able to view the general section.
# 3090

Good Judgement comes from expirence, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgement.
Polaris

Postby spongjim » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:29 am

I have seen the video of the jeep before . Looks real. I have built a few of these also.
The subs are something completely different ,with the trimming out to the radio setup.
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:44 am

Lafayette is an excellent boat. Handles well, and is very well designed.

Budget for a leveller, you will want one.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby pigeonfarmboy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Haha Jim, when did you get a Hustler? Until just recently I was actually a co-owner of RCP.
pigeonfarmboy

Postby pigeonfarmboy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Sub culture wrote:Lafayette is an excellent boat. Handles well, and is very well designed.

Budget for a leveller, you will want one.

I got the "Premium Kit" so would that be the Mini Pitch controller? I haven't read of anything called a leveller yet.
pigeonfarmboy

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 am

A pitch controller is a leveller, indeed.

So you have everything you need then.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby pigeonfarmboy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Just got the Lafayette in the mail!!! Time to open everything and be overwhelmed!!
pigeonfarmboy

Postby pigeonfarmboy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Got the stand setup and mocked it up to see how big she is. Very cool. Wish I wasn't moving right now, I'd have this thing together by the Carmel Regatta!

pigeonfarmboy

Postby spongjim » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:26 pm

I got the hustler about a year ago , I run them to unwind a little while building subs. Keeps me somewhat sain I guess. The Laf looks good ,I have seen a couple of them run they perform very good.You will be very happy with that one for sure.I got the Gato almost ready I am going to take her for a club fun run this weekend and make sure she is ready. I will get some pictures for you.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby pigeonfarmboy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:31 am

Cool, good chance I packed your Hustler up actually. ( I helped start the company and later became a partner. )

Glad you'll get to test the Gato and run it for yourself another time. Would love to see any pictures. I'm definitely losing sleep thinking about that beast.
pigeonfarmboy

Re: Engel Lafayette

Postby xxl » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:45 pm

love to see pics of a great sub and Engel is one of the finest out there
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Return to Builder Threads