Banner Ad 1

1/96 scale Alfa build-up

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

1/96 scale Alfa build-up

Postby Phin » Sun May 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Hey Guy, you may have seen my post a while back asking about alfa hulls. Well I decided to go with the scale shipyards hull because it was the easiest for me to obtain.
Here she is:

The scribing detail on the hull is pretty good:

The hull came with a few scratches and a small piece of fiberglass missing on the tail. Nothing we can't fix though.

Here are the: bow-planes, bottom rudder, and aft planes

She's almost about the same size as my out of scale Dumas Akula :roll:

I started by first opening up the vent holes on the bottom. (I will come back and neaten these up with a file later on)

I'm thinking of running a caswell generic 2.5 WTC in her, which fits pretty well. If anyone has any suggestions on anything that I should do to improve my build, I'd love to hear about them.

On a side not, I've been looking over possible props for her, as she doesn't come with any, and I've found a couple options; but if anyone has a really good one they know of please tell me.
Phin

Postby petn7 » Sun May 17, 2009 6:30 pm

Keep up the great pictures.

I've always been curious about this hull and almost bought it once.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Sun May 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Every Alfa that is built makes the world a slightly better place :), IMHO this is the sexiest submarine of all times.
Will follow this thread, as I did all the others... and someday I am going to have my own RC Alfa, hopefully in 1/72.
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby Phin » Mon May 18, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks for the positive support guys. I too think that the alfa is one beautiful ship, it's got great lines.

I finished opening up and cleaning up the vent holes on the bottom of the hull today.
Phin

Postby Sputnikk » Fri May 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks for doing this. I too have a Alfa from Scale Shipyards, and am a newbie to subs, so I am going to follow you closely and building mine with yours. If you get some props, please get 2. And WTC. I will send you the money if you like. Or I can purchase them with you. Who knows. Maybe we can get a discount if we purchase in pairs.

Eric
Homeport Model Ships
www.homeportmodels.com
Boston, MA
Sputnikk

Postby Phin » Fri May 22, 2009 10:29 pm

No problem Sputnikk, like you I am also pretty new to the sub hobby and the more info we newbs can get the better. I've been told that Dave Meriman's 1/96 Skipjack prop fits this model perfectly so that's what I'm looking at right now. Also I would recommend getting Nuke Power's fitting kit upgrade, which really helps this model. Also I'm going to be using a 2.5 Sub-driver from Caswell.

Fittings
Sub-Driver

Ok, so progress! I finished opening up all the holes I need for the sub to vent right.

Of course, some pictures :!:
Phin

Postby Sputnikk » Fri May 22, 2009 10:44 pm

I already got the Sub Upgrade kit, but not the WTC yet. Is the model number SDK25SK for the Sub Driver? I will purchase that this weekend. Also the prop I will need too. Infact I have 2 Alfas, so I would like to get one for display.

I have drilled the rudders but had some trouble with them getting the shafts straight. But i will keep trying.

Eric
Sputnikk

Postby Phin » Sun May 24, 2009 12:09 am

Yeah the WTC is the one you posted. I just am ordering the rudder set so will take a bit before i get my eyes on them. I'm going to do a z-cut for this hull to hold it together. I need to get a new balsa saw to do it, i should have a post on it tomorrow.
Phin

Re: 1/96 scale Alfa build-up

Postby xxl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:40 pm

whos wtc are you going with?
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Re: 1/96 scale Alfa build-up

Postby redboat219 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Phin,
Any updates on your Alfa?
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Return to Builder Threads