Banner Ad 1

help out another aussie

Eastern States of Australia

help out another aussie

Postby SIKKO_X2 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:57 pm

hey guys,
ive been interested in rc subs for a long long time, and i finally decided to get one. im interested in buying a second hand or already built sub here in australia and i was wondering if you guys could steer me in the right direction.
cheers
SIKKO_X2

Postby Slats » Mon May 04, 2009 7:12 pm

Subs come up from time to time down here for sale, I have just sold my 1/72 scale HMS Trenchant.

You will need to be realistic as to what budget you have to spend. For example my Trenchant was sold for $3,000A ready to run minus the radio.
Some boats will be cheaper in various other conditions - including not ready to run.

It will be cheaper and a better learning experience if you buy a kit first and WTC. Of paramount importance IMO is buying a sub that you actually have an interest in i.e Do you like Modern types versus say U-boats of WW2?

You might also checkout the for sale board over at the http://graysubs.tripod.com/home_page.htm and click on the For sale link.

We have here in Australia several model boat clubs that have a submariners in their ranks and a regatta every two years in Easter in Canberra - the next one is Easter 2010.

Hope this helps.
John
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby SIKKO_X2 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:45 am

hey mate,
ive been in contact with a few rc sub kit suppliers overseas and i am highly considering going down that path, but i was just checking to see if there was anyone in australia that imports these kits first.

i dont want to spend too much on my first sub, simply because it is my first sub.
cheers
SIKKO_X2

Postby Slats » Tue May 05, 2009 7:24 am

more than understand - what is your budget?
J
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby ConcreteTurtle » Tue May 05, 2009 7:01 pm

Have to agree completely with Slats. I'm slowly building up my first sub, and it's well worth the time and effort spent. Gives you a good primer on running them and how to fix things that go wrong.

As far as I know, there isn't anyone bringing in kits to Australia, but there is a huge array of choices available from all over the world and locally for parts. Pricewise, I started off with the same idea of getting something not too expensive to start with, but then I got caught up in getting things just right :roll: ...

Best of luck with it all, let us know how you get on.
CT.
ConcreteTurtle

Postby David H » Wed May 06, 2009 11:52 pm

Aah, john,

I thought, finally that the Trenchant was finally a keeper. subs don't last long in the slater household.

I would agree with John on this one. If you can scratch build, it can be a real learning curve but most rewarding and satisfying.. you will learn some fantastic skills and it really builds confidence in your models.

john, I thought I'd never do this.......... I built a surface ship.

1/350 Yamato.

regards,

David Hughes.
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby Slats » Thu May 14, 2009 1:58 am

David H wrote:Aah, john,

I thought, finally that the Trenchant was finally a keeper. subs don't last long in the slater household.

I would agree with John on this one. If you can scratch build, it can be a real learning curve but most rewarding and satisfying.. you will learn some fantastic skills and it really builds confidence in your models.

john, I thought I'd never do this.......... I built a surface ship.

1/350 Yamato.

regards,

David Hughes.

Yes she is going to Fleet base Melbourne where Justin will love her
- had a great sail last weekend with her - the last as Justin collects her on the 30th.

As for subs staying long - the Permanent Sub fleet will be:
1/72 Rankin (Collins - scratch built and modified version of the Pew kit)
1/72 Victoria class (under construction in Canada)
1/72 Permit class (ordered from Joel in Canada)
1/72 Sturgeon (when its avaliable)

That will do me - given my massive target fleet and kids to ammuse.

Trenchant was very much an in between project - complete article going in Model Boats mag soon.
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

First sub?

Postby subkraft » Fri May 22, 2009 2:39 am

Hi Sikko

Check out www.arkmodel.com. I'm not any kind of agent for them (and have no financial interest) but have visited about 6 months back in China. Just about got one of their Song models together and working. Got a good promo dvd here and happy to help with communication and ordering if you're interested. The prices are pretty reasonable, not real hard to get together tho there's one or two issues that I've come across.

Regards

Subkraft
subkraft
SubCommittee Member

Postby David H » Fri May 22, 2009 6:14 pm

subcraft,

would love to know how you go with the song class. I have a thing for chinese subs, I drive a Type 092 xia.

would love to see pics and maybe your song at the Canberra regatta next year!

regards,

David H :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Return to SubComAust