Banner Ad 1

Spliting the nuke hull ?

R/C Submarine modelers

Spliting the nuke hull ?

Postby Jeffrey J » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:39 pm

hey guys,
Ok, just about ready to split this hull and remove the foam. "Sturgeon type" I am going with the z cut around the top at the front of the tail feathers and under the bow about 7" back, question is about the center line, should the cut be below half way, I thought it might look better overall like this, the only thing I hate about rc subs, the cut line showing like a swollen thumb, :( I am planing on some type of wtc, exactly what or who's I don't know yet. The boat is right at 50" LOA thanks alot. Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby KevinMc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:07 am

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure what you're finished hull will look like, but is it all one colour down the side or does it transition from "black" to "red" or some variation there of? If you can make your cut along that line the paint will mask the split. (And the cut in the hull will help you when it comes time to paint as well!) YMMV...
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 am

I agree with Kevin, Jeff. On my first attempt at a scratchbuilt hull, i put the dividing line slightly above the midline so the stern plane attachment areas were not distorted from the break. With the paint demarkation line not lined up with the hull break, it made the break more obvious. But over time as the fiberglass has distorted with use, it is now extremely noticeable. Having the paint line up with it would make a big difference.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:26 pm

How about forgetting about the z-cut, and making a radial split in the hull i.e. like the Robbe boats?
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jeffrey J » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:50 pm

thanks you guys.
The Deep Sea plans show just about everything except where the black and red meet on the hull. But when I figure this out, which better be soon,, lol, I will cut it right there. I am planning on starting the cut out tonight after dinner. I like the idea of the Z cut to help hold the shape of the bow. I did 3 type II hulls and found I had to attach the upper 6" of hull back on the bow at the water line to help keep the shape of the boat. It may just be my construction method that cause's this,, the "cave man" method, in other words not really knowing what I am doing but ending up with a working sub all the same. :lol: Thanks again, will try to post another photo of it before I start cutting. Jeff Jones
Jeffrey J

Postby wlambing » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:10 pm

Ok, here we go!

The US nuke boats have a demarcation line at the main axis (along the length) of the ship. As delivered, they were black from the waterline up, and hull red from the waterline down. They didn't stay that way. Below the main axis line is hull red for everything older than Seawolf. From the waterline down to the main axis is hull red with 1 coat of black over it. It almost looks purple! From the waterline up is black. The main axis line also splits the upper and lower surfaces of the stern planes, red under, red/black on top.

Why does this keep coming up? There have been discussions on this before.

There are some pictures of my Trepang out there wearing the proper war paint. I don't have any here at home, but can retrieve them and send next Monday. There is one pic of her submerged at Johnston, RI on my members page. There may be others amongst the 'Regatta pics. She carries the hull number 674 on the sail.

Take care,

Bill
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jeffrey J » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:41 pm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachme ... id=2481698

Thanks Bill,
Thats a big help. To be honest this is my first nuke and I never really paid too close a look at the fine details on them. Like the paint job for one. Basically I ran across the plans in my basement recently, had some left over materials and wanted to try a nuke boat. Its going well, been at it a little over a month, sorry but I can't post a photo here but a link above will show a photo of it as it sits right now. thanks again.
Jeff Jones
Jeffrey J

Postby Boss subfixer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:25 am

Here are a couple of pictures I have. One of Bill's Trepang and two actuals in dry dock. Hope they help. I have Bill's boat at the moment so if you want better pictures of a certain areas let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Jeffrey J » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:22 am

Thansk alot,
Those photos are exactly what I needed. I think I got the hull split in the right place, just did that this mourning and also removed all the foam. I will use your photos for the final finish, thanks again Jeff Jones
Jeffrey J

Postby Boss subfixer » Tue May 05, 2009 5:34 pm

Bill L. requested me to post these for him. They are his boat for those of you that don't recognize it.

Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Bigdave » Tue May 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Hey Don!! :D
Someone has stolen the modulator!! :shock:
I love the avatar. 8) :lol: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Larry Kuntz » Wed May 06, 2009 10:12 am

Hey Dave, never mind, I just found the modulator. Prepare for the earth to be destroyed, it's blocking my view. :twisted:
Larry Kuntz
SubRon8
ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubCommittee Member

Postby Polaris » Wed May 06, 2009 2:43 pm

# 3090

Good Judgement comes from expirence, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgement.
Polaris

Postby xxl » Fri May 15, 2009 9:18 pm

mark it with a crayon cut with a chainsaw hahahhah
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

side draft markings?

Postby Jeffrey J » Sat May 15, 2010 7:02 am

hey guys, the side draft numbers on the hull of the Sturgeon type sub and the numbering on the rudder, How do you make these for the scale you want, I am looking for 1/72nd scale decals or a way to make them myself.
thanks in advance Jeff J.
Jeffrey J

Next

Return to R/C Modeler