Banner Ad 1

Albacore dual-prop retrofit

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby bcliffe » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:21 am

redboat219 wrote:Nice! BTW, what scale is B. Clark's Albacore?

It is an odd ball scale not 100% sure. It is larger then the SubTech Albacore.... probalby something close to 1/50.

Brian selected the size based on his wife's oven size. This was Brian's first attempt at doing vacuum forming with styrene.

Cheers
BC
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Postby greenman407 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Bcliffe, nice pictures to boot!
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Dave, How do you come up with all this cool stuff?
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby aquadeep » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:00 am

I have a mega computer and a bit of allien blood and I dont mean the ellegal kind. :D

dave :P
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby greenman407 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:07 pm

I have recieved all the parts that I need, and I thought I would share some of them with you.
Image Here you can see the precision ball bearings that I will use to suspend the main shaft and the 1/4" brass tube that will motivate the propellors. The 3/16" bearings will support the short shaft that will apply the drive motion to the gear rotating the1/4' tube. Also you can see the thrust bearings that will be used to reduce friction.

Image Two new speed 400 motors

Image Installed in their motor mounts

Image In this closeup you can see the motor connection tab and on it the lead from the supression capacitor mounted inside.
greenman407

Postby redboat219 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:03 pm

Skip Asay wrote:
Since Albacore was a test boat and not a prototype, the simplest, easiest way to convert from a cruciform tail to the "X" tail was just to simply rotate the stern 45 degrees, figuratively speaking. Thus each opposing control surface shared a shaft so it allowed for minimal linkage changes.

Skip Asay

Compared with say a modern Type 212 with equal X tail control surfaces, did the position of the Albacore's offset stern planes had any effect on the boat handling?
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby Skip Asay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:50 pm

redboat219 asked -
"Compared with say a modern Type 212 with equal X tail control surfaces, did the position of the Albacore's offset stern planes had any effect on the boat handling?"

I have never seen anything written up about that but I really can't see where it would make any difference. Let's face it, in the full size boat, there's what maybe 2 feet of difference?

Skip Asay
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Re: Albacore dual-prop retrofit

Postby greenman407 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Ok here is how its going to go.
I need to install thrust bearings at several points. Here you can see a pointer pointing at the spot where the forward prop will rub the hub. It is at this spot that I want to recess a thrust bearing composed of two thick hardened washers and a cage that holds the ball bearings. If I dont recess them into the prop and hub it will look like this.
Since most drill bits wont drill a flat bottom hole I came up with this.

Its a set of Forstner bits. More later. seeyall :D
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:14 pm

I went back to review more of Man-O-Wars builders thread on the USS Jack and low and behold he used Forstner bits on his gearbox construction. (and here I thought that I had found something new to show off) :oops: Oh Well! Im worried about drilling too deep into the white metal propellor to do the recessing as this will decrease the area of the hub to be secured to the shaft so Im only going to go into the prop just enough to recess one washer. The hub will be recessed enough to cover the other washer and some of the ball bearing cage. I just have to get up enough nerve to try it. I plan on using the company drill press and drill vise to hold and drill the prop and hub. As can be imagined the vise has to hold the parts completely still without damaging the parts and they have to be perfectly aligned ie: perpendicular to the shaft, so that we will have no prop wobble :x

greenman407

Postby Bigdave » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Forstner bits rule!!!!! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:14 pm

just a caution from the overly worrysome :
be sure the ball bearings do not rust.
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:52 am

Good point, we will need plenty of lubricant before and after each run :D
greenman407

Postby Diezel_Sub » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi there.
I would like to know if I can get a set of these props and if so, The cost of them.
thanks!
Diezel_Sub

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:34 pm

Hello there Diezel sub, I am sorry as I just noticed your post on the Albacore retrofit. I got them from Dave Merriman. I dont know there exact cost as I purchased them along with a few other things. However I can supply you with his phone number and you can ask him. You may have to leave him a message and give him time to return your call. He does great work but is usually swamped. 757-468-4687
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:44 am

Ok , let me bring you up to speed on my progress , or should I say lack of progress. Since I do not have access to a lathe without paying for it I undertook the task with the tools on hand. Doing it yourself is sometimes half the fun. My biggest fear was that when recessing the bearings into the plastic extension between the two props I was going to mess it up. After all its important to have the surface that the bearing rides on be perpendicular to the propshaft and carefully centered. To achieve this I did this

:|
greenman407

PreviousNext

Return to R/C Modeler