Banner Ad 1

Albacore dual-prop retrofit

R/C Submarine modelers

Albacore dual-prop retrofit

Postby greenman407 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:33 pm

I have been very impressed with Man0wars builders thread on the USS Jack. But I was absolutely captivated by his dual prop set-up. Skip Assay didnt help either by posting pictures of his Albacore with dual props. I got to thinking.I want dual props, but Im lazy. I dont want to spend my time trying to make propellors. What to do, what to do? I know , Ill call Dave Merriman , Im sure he can help. So the call was made , and the deal was put into motion and a few days later our friends from U.P.S. had a package for me.So I thought I would start a thread on the instalation of this new ( to me ) drive system.
Image First here is the existing Subtek Albacore X-Tail that I modified with a D&E 3" W.T.C. now called a Caswell subdriver. You can see to advantage the single 5 bladed prop and X-tail.

There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:39 pm

So now onto the hardware. I just love being able to pick up the phone and recieve such awesome hardware in such a short period of time. It makes a humble modeler like myself appear to be a master craftsman. Take a look at this. These props were made by Dave in house!
Image These props ofcourse are fresh out of the oven and have yet to be cleaned up and painted.
Image And to go along with the props a two shaft end cap and gear box to convert my single shaft wtc. Also two gears to drive the props. After much deliberation and another phone call to Dave I have ordered all the bearings and shafts and other hardware that I will need for the task from Mcmaster & carr, Caswell, and Hobby Lobby. So as I proceed on this retrofit( in between working on the Seaview and the Oscar) I will update this post. :D
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby ManOwaR » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:05 am

Very good!

What scale is that Albacore?

I know that the Abacore had a long spacer between the two props and then a short one. Yours looks like a long version, so that must make it the first of the two configurations used?

Look forward to seeing your progress and thanks for your comments :) ,
Joel
ManOwaR

Postby aquadeep » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:38 am

Looks good Mark,will you use one or two motors,I have some counter rotating gearboxes that you might be interested in,stainless and all ball bearing.

I have always wanted to build a prop system like that but never got to it.

Dave :D
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby aquadeep » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:39 am

deleted
Last edited by aquadeep on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Contra-rotating gearbox

Postby Virg » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Dave,

You've got a PM.

Virg
Virg
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Manowar , Thanks for the interest. The phase three Albacore was210' 6" so that works out to be about 1/63 scale considering my sub is 40" overall. As far as the props go verses your drawing it looks to be somewhere between sizes. I think that same drawing is in my sub book intitled U.S. Submarines 1945 to present. I could choose to change the length of the hub to make one of the other ones but I like the looks of this one. Yes Dave its going to be run with two speed 400 motors on 7.2 volts that way I dont have to change anything else(I hope.) 8)
greenman407

Postby liftmys10 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:42 pm

Nice Albacore!!!
liftmys10

Postby greenman407 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks Dude! :D
greenman407

Postby Pirate » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:57 am

Anyone know the reason why the X-tail plane pairs are misaligned? Why not have them the same distance from the stern? Aren't the U212 X-planes aligned?

I noticed on your model, but didn't want to say anything. Just now noticed on the drawing too, so figured it was correct.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Skip Asay » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:44 pm

"Anyone know the reason why the X-tail plane pairs are misaligned? Why not have them the same distance from the stern?"

Since Albacore was a test boat and not a prototype, the simplest, easiest way to convert from a cruciform tail to the "X" tail was just to simply rotate the stern 45 degrees, figuratively speaking. Thus each opposing control surface shared a shaft so it allowed for minimal linkage changes.

Skip Asay
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby greenman407 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks to the offset that you have mentioned hooking up the linkages is easier as well. This sub has been around the block so to speak,as Indiana Jones was so fond of saying " Its not the age , its the mileage. Ive scrubbed it along the bottom many times. When this is all over its going to get cleaned up and re-painted :o
greenman407

Postby bcliffe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:44 am

You really should see Brian Clarke's scratch built Albacore with counter rotating props. Both his X-Tail mixer and counter rotating props are mechanical.

Brian uses a bicycle tube RCABS ballast system. He does it different but really, really well.

Cheers
BC
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Postby redboat219 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:53 pm

Nice! BTW, what scale is B. Clark's Albacore?
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby aquadeep » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:18 am

Mark check this out.

Dual bruchless motors,one has a holow shaft,plenty of power!

Dave :D

My gear boxes would work like this,smaller props.

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Next

Return to R/C Modeler