Banner Ad 1

Jeff Porteous's Repair Yard

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi guys!

I'm obviously LONG overdue for posting to this thread. Yes, I have done some work on Nautilus since you last heard from me above, and plan to do significantly more very soon, but in the meantime have been distracted by -- among other things -- a complete nav lighting refit on my veteran little Blueback.

Last summer at the Regatta in Carmel, LED lighting wizard Kevin McLeod and SCR editor Pete Piekarski in tandem applied the thumbscrews (and cheerleading!) toward convincing me I could replace my Blueback's temperamental, power-hungry and unreliable incandescent nav lighting setup with a completely new, reliable and efficient six-light LED system.

They were right, it turns out, but for me this was no easy task. With plenty of intricate soldering effort, a few disheartening if requisite setbacks (major and minor), and no small amount of help and advice (plus a continuing stream of replacement parts!) from Kevin, what you see below is the final result. The photo -- featuring an all-new snorkel on the floor in the foreground (thanks for yet ANOTHER crucial replacement part, Dave Manley!) -- displays what you're about to see in the offered YouTube video link. All six lights shown are scale or very-close-to-scale size and in scale position per Navy plans, and the yellow flasher atop the snorkel actually beams out "I am a US Navy Submarine" in international code. Very cool -- thanks again, Kevin!

What a project! Again, more difficult than I'd thought, but a great learning experience toward lighting projects anticipated in future boats. Next, Blueback gets tub-tested to address the submerged trim issues I expect have resulted from all this rewiring. (It doesn't take much!) Then it's back to work on Nautilus -- long delayed. Recent rare time off work well spent, eh?

Green board,
JeffP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL2agHPhIfA

Last edited by JefftyToo on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Great work!

The yellow flasher light is an excellent touch.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:53 am

Thanks, buddy!

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:50 am

Paul Crozier's request to see a closeup of the snorkel part of this LED refit inspired me to post a few shots here as well. Note the mini Dean's connector glued into the base for the electrical connection. At the top of the snorkel -- about a penny-width across (should've included one in the shot for relative size, sorry!) -- you can see how small the protruding tip of the yellow LED actually is. Had to "turn it down" using a portable Dremel (actually two) as a lathe. Was very proud of myself for managing to reduce a full-size LED to tiny scale size without ruining the electronics inside. A real challenge for clumsy Clems like me.

JeffP

JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Excellent job Jeff.

-Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Extra Double Super Cool Jeff!

Really can't wait to her in action at the Ye Olde Subron 5 SunNFun in beautiful, sunny Houston Texas, which If I recall correctly has always been fun for the whole family not to mention an event of a lifetime EVERY SINGLE YEAR!

I know I am making my plans and reservations to attend this the quintessential southern Subron5 area model submarining event of the year right now.

Don't be a floater--be a sinker and submerge with Jeff , his Blueback, and the rest of us this summer.

No really do...its always been a really great time. Right Jeffty?

TomK
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:09 am

You bet, Boomer! And if we're lucky, Scott T. (two posts above) will honor and entertain us all with another musical number or two. Harmonicas rule! (Thanks for the compliment, Scott!)

JeffP

P.S. By the way, here's a shot of Blueback's tub-testing session yesterday: submerged trim is now dead-on at PD. All's looking good for summer ops!

JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

repair/build

Postby Rick Teskey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:02 am

Crap with all the time you spend on rivots you could have had a Seaview in the water by now! Whats it been 5 years?
Rick
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:19 pm

Ouch! Actually it's probably been six or seven! Gee, thanks for the compliment, Rick! ;^D

Hey, try to look at it this way: all that recent LED learning experience will help me to -- eventually -- install Seaview's monster lighting system!

Grumble,
JeffP
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Looks great, Jeff! And nice work with the makeshift lathe!

Lookin' forward to seeing you in Houston this year. I've missed the last two SubRon5 get-togethers, but this year I have a clear calendar!

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:50 am

Ditto, my friend. But wish you were coming with a boat...!

JeffP
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:35 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for pointing me to this thread! I didn't even see that you were posting pics of your Nautilus build here!

Great detail work on the boat! I can't believe the level that you're taking it to. I have one question, however...

...What are you going to do when, during her maiden voyage, you scrape a line of rivets off or take the tip off a raker? She's an R/C boat, man! LOL!

Great work!

Bob
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:04 am

Many thanks for checking it out, my friend. You are so right, too. Nicked rakers are gonna eventually drive me nuts. But at least I know rivets can be replaced . . . and replaced and replaced and replaced and replaced yada yada yada... :^)

Jeff
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Lance » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:03 am

Nice work Jeff, I can sympathize because of the rivet work I did on my 31" Nautilus and as you know I can say a thing or two about broken rakers. For those not present at the San Francisco Fun Run last year, Jeff witnessed one of the most harrowing collisions seen around these parts between my Nautilus and a very fast moving PT boat. The sights and sounds of the collision has been burned in my mind forever! Oh the carnage, gouged hulls, broken rakers, shredded props and fractured prop shafts! Actually the damage to the Nautilus was one raker chipped, one small cut near the dorsal and the dorsal fin broke off. All have since been repaired thanks to the advice of Bob Martin who gave me tips on casting and raker repair. Thanks Bob!

Lance
Lance
SubCommittee Member

Re: Jeff Porteous's Repair Yard

Postby JefftyToo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:06 am

Hi guys,

I'm FINALLY back to significant work on my boats after far too long a hiatus. It's obviously been too long since I've posted here as well. So let's get started. I should be uploading more over the next few days....

First up, my beloved ol' Blueback. By the end of last year she'd been experiencing major paint failure, so along with tackling some necessary internal refit items I haven't documented with photography (rewiring the main trunk from the power supply, rewiring a weak link to the LED nav lighting system, plus adding a nifty new onboard -- fully internal -- radio antenna recommended by Big Dave some time back), I've also taken on a partial new paint job. Behold what I was forced to address with her beat up ol' sail:
Note that I now had to take that crud off all the way down to bare resin...
...then repaint...
...and here's the finished numbered and weathered product. Not perfect, but what an improvement, eh?
Here's the starboard side sequence:
Note that I tried to fix up her thrashed deadlights with some clear stuff too.

Now I'm hard at work trying to patch up her damaged hull as well...
Hull paint repair photos to come....

In-between paint sessions with Blueback I've been back to work on my big Custom Replicas Disney Nautilus kit too. More coming soon!

JeffP
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to SubRon5