Banner Ad 1

Moebius Merriman/Caswell Conversion

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Moebius Merriman/Caswell Conversion

Postby junglelord » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:39 pm

I am new to this so I help my thread helps those newbies like myself.

This is how my day went....starting out with not having the correct tools and a member named Ray on the Caswell forum telling me that people will have what I need....

I have built one V2 Robbe SeaWolf and this is my second attempt at a RC submarine and a dream come true, a Seaview. I have been inquiring of tools required. A variable speed Moto-tool is really important and a drill press would help for the control vanes. I walked into Canadian Tire where my brother (a mechanic) who works the desk for the garage asking about the store not having a Drill Press unit for dremels but the router table was on sale. Since he works there I can save 10% and that helps a lot. He also knows what goes on sale ahead of time. Turns out it was my lucky day....

Well I have the first Moebius Seaview model and a Moto-tool from my brother and a free set of attchements on the right in the plastic holders that was going to be thrown out just today. After I spoke to my brother this after noon...the heavens are looking out for me.

10,000 to 35,000 rpm is the speed of this variable tool from Canadian Tire JobMate series. So its my lucky day.

It cut the material without melting it. I gave it a try with the cutting wheel on a piece of the sprue, as I am totally new to this.

Since thats a tool I did not have but required and cost about $100, being on a pension, I feel really lucky today. I never knew my brother had one of these. I had full speed Dremel with a flexible shaft, but its too fast for this material.

I am ordering the Merriman DVDs and Fittings Kit next week. I have seen several builds that did follow the Merriman instructions and others that explained where they deviated and why.

I had a real issue over cutting before Mr Merriman kindly and patiently talked and walked me through the reasons to do the build the way he lays it out. I want to publicly thank Mr Merriman for being so kind and for being so helpful.

I am now in-between wanting to dive into it and not having full instructions yet. I know that Mr Merriman will give me instructions on what to start with. I will detail the build as I am not experienced and maybe this will help others to be confident and give them the knowledge of what is needed and how to go about making a dream come true.

Cheers
Dean
junglelord

Postby junglelord » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:55 am

On line ramble, my inner thoughts and musings as a newbie.

After many conversations with the expert, Dave Merriman, I am torn over going foward with a hull that seperates as explained by Dave vs the way Steve Neills attacked the problem and choose the existing seams that are required to put this unit together as sent by Moebius.

I know Dave has taken a lot of his precious time to get me past my fears of cutting. Now that I have the proper tool and attchements....I am still kinda torn over the two possible methods.

I should wait till I get my 5 DVD set and fittings and Sub Driver. Which is two weeks away, holding pattern. Having seen several good threads on the Merriman approach and also having help from Ray on the Sub Drivers forum, I am clear about what I need to do so really I could have started yesterday.....SO WHATS MY PROBLEM? WHY HAVE I NOT STARTED?

I am still torn about the two ways to approach the kit.

Any suggestions are accepted. Both ways are in my mind good alternatives. Of course Mr Merriman is a very unique individual and I try to take his time and expert advice with his way of delivery and still try to maybe retain something of my own level of ideas and modeling compentency.

I know that I have to suck it up and have ribs to cut if I am to go forward with Dave Merrimans approach. I hate to think of cutting....yet with bow fins I see no way out of it. And I am not going to debate bow fins with Mr Merriman.

That is my only dilemma basicly, can I hook my bow fins with a center hull seam? Does anybody know? I hate to ask Dave Merriman any more deviation questions, he has better things to do then give me all his time about other ways to do what he already did. Being a newbie, I must be a real pest.

I loved the simplicity of Steve Neills approach, because I am a newbie.

So this is not one way is better then the other, just alternative ways to approach building the model so you can access things as needed.

Concering one way better then another, well that really concerns control surfaces so the boat handles properly. I see questions on the forum about functional sail planes, etc. One thing that Steve Neills left out of his Seaview.

For instance, I know that Dave Merriman said that front bow planes on my Robbe SeaWolf were not necessary...then there was the question of do they go with or against the stern planes when connected....

With my SeaWolf V2 model I have the bow planes working with the stern planes, with no maiden voyage, so I have no idea how it will handle.

So many possibilities, so little experience, so much good advice...

Suggestions appreciated concerning my SeaWolf setup and how those front fins should relate to my stern fins, or if they were even required.

Also my 2 SeaView approaches concerning access. Also Control Surfaces required for a reliable SeaView.

Thats is my musings and rambleings as a newbie who maybe did too much internet research with no experience under his belt.

Cheers
Dean

post musing edit...
The best possible alternative is to make one Dave Merriman and one Dave Welch. Then make a third one for my Grandaughter after I decide which way is better for Access.

Maybe in the end I should go that route instead. I do have a air pump that I got off of Mr Broder several years ago when I was first thinking about all this stuff and my SeaWolf that I eventually got but left as a dynamic diver so far and would rather use a water bag approach on that one for static conversion.

Being on a pension I kinda figured if I could attain some reasonable apttitude at this particular model, I could maybe sell a few turnkeys to people that would rather buy a kit already completed....a goal of moving forward from a newbie, to one day being a dude that could crank out a RC Seaview in a week. Imagine that after not having a clue which way to go...LOL.
junglelord

Postby junglelord » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:01 am

I have two possible approaches, this one uses the natual seams created by the kit
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/ ... 73&start=0

The other follows Dave Merrimans approach
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/ ... hp5?t=7847

I have decided on the first approach. So dispite the fact I got the tools, I do not want to cut and would rather not have bow planes.

However I do want Sail Planes. Steve Neills used no bow or sail fins. Dave Merrimans build utilizes all control surfaces.

One way is not better then the other, each has advantages and disadvantages.

Being a newbie and a little anal about all this, I was a bit of a pest asking Mr Merriman all kinds of deviations to his approach.

Dave is a real sweetheart and one awsome guy. I want to publicly thank him for all his time.
junglelord

Postby junglelord » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:59 pm

I got a drill press! :D :D :D
junglelord

Postby junglelord » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:53 am

I am set. I love the drill press. I have been practicing on sprue.
You can do any job with the right tool

I am ordering the fittings kit tomorrow.
junglelord

Postby greenman407 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Looks like you are all set to start having some fun. We will be watching your build and will be ready to help you anyway that we can. :D
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby Rogue Sub » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:12 pm

What are you waiting on jungle guy git r done.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby junglelord » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:34 pm

I am trying to decide which way to go with the Control Room. I might just keep the Control Room as one piece for display.
So I got to painting the various items.

I got fiber optics from the dollar store....and I will make a functional computer wall.

Here is a shot of a computer board in progress

Also backlit sonar screens is another goal.

A nice idea for overhead lighting with LEDs and the circuit board.

junglelord

Postby junglelord » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:39 pm

I got a dollar store tea light and with a dremel on its battery base and the casing was installed a perfect fit, the LED fit in perfect with no alterations.

junglelord

Return to Builder Threads