Banner Ad 1

Dive planes on the sail ?

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Dive planes on the sail ?

Postby Jeffrey J » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:06 am

Do you guys use these on nuke boats, I have always heard they really don't do too much to help out with the models preformance. I have my Sturgeon started and was going to just mount the planes in a fixed even keel setting. ,,thanks Jeff J.
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby Rogue Sub » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:27 am

Yup we use them all the time.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby junglelord » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:59 am

True, but my Robbe Seawolf has no functional sailplanes.
I have seen a Moebius Seaview with no functional sailplanes.

I have been told that my functional bow planes on my Robbe SeaWolf were not required.

I think the real question is, what is required to have a sub that drives properly?

That brings up the need for electronic stabilizers like an ADF.

I am a newbie. I am interested in all this physics.
Mr Merriman has pointed out several issues with rc subs that I initially never conceived....they can be a beautch to control. That without electronic stabilizers, its almost impossible not to porpoise after certain speeds.
:shock:

That came as a shock at first, then I began to mentally work my way through this based on my flying experience with park flyers and windy days....and I would like to sail on really windy/wavey days with my subs.
So scale speeds, water conditions....all need to be asked and answered for the individual, is that not true? If I run at scale speeds in calm water, will I need a ADF?

On the use of Sailplanes, I am told that to control a subs depth just via sailplanes is the goal on a boat that has all the functional surfaces, bow, stern, sail.

How well will a Sub like my Robbe Seawolf function on just stern controls...from what I see, really well for that particular design but I believe that a ADF is required for this sub past a certain speed. I will find out this spring with her maiden voyage.....
8)

Then the explanations of Mr Merriman on the X tail vs Cruciform tail and my own interest in the Seaview with a half X tail with those Cadillac fins and those Manta fins which cause nose dive. Of course that has nothing to do with the orignal question, but thoughts I have had recently as a newbie and asking questions of Dear Mr Merriman.
Last edited by junglelord on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junglelord

Postby ManOwaR » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:06 pm

The sail planes provide your boat with the ability to fine tune its depth. The majority of depth control is provided by stern planes. I guess it depends on how much manual control you wish to have over your boat.

Joel
ManOwaR

Diving planes

Postby Mike Dory » Mon May 11, 2009 5:58 am

Jeff - Boats with just rear diving planes, can only go up and down by pointing the bow either up or down and driving the boat in that dierection.
(This of course is with out changing the amount of water in your ballast tank )
Boats with stern and bow diving planes can go up and both as a boat with just rear planes and completly level (like an elevator) Should you wish. If you have an APC (Automatic Pitch Control) This will help you maintane your boat on a level keel and reduce proposing as you control your boats depth.
Sail planes or bow planes on the sail, most of the time have very little effect This is because they are to close to the center of gravity in the boat. (Think of it as a wrench with a very short handle) to have much effect. The one exception maybe the Seeview models. (This is because, not being a scale model of a real sub but rather a model of, at leats in part, based on the rear end of a 59 chevy.,) i'ts sail planes are very large and what would be way out of scale to any real submarine, may have some effect in controling the pitch of this model boat. I hope this helps some. Best Wishes and welcome to world of model subs........ Mike Dory
Mike Dory

Re: Diving planes

Postby JWLaRue » Mon May 11, 2009 11:07 am

Mike Dory wrote:Sail planes or bow planes on the sail, most of the time have very little effect This is because they are to close to the center of gravity in the boat.

If we're talking about controlling pitch, I definitely agree. On the other hand, for controlling depth sail planes work very, very well.... on my 1/72nd scale Skipjack the sail planes are operational and I have very good and very fine control over depth using them.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mike Dory » Mon May 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Jeff, - Glad I caught up with you! (Sorry if this is a little off topic) There is a couple of guy's One is "Jaguar 75" over at R/C Group - Submarine, and the other is Sunworksco on the R/C modeler message board here. Both are looking for detailed plans for the 1/32 scale,Type 1X U-boat. I told them I had given my last set of detailed Type 1X plans to you, that you were a neat guy and I'm sure you would be happy to help them. So if they call you, that's what i'ts all about... Again sorry for getting a little off topic. Best Wishes to everyone. With God's help, hope to see you all in Carmel......Mike Dory
Mike Dory

Postby aquadeep » Thu May 14, 2009 11:00 pm

Your absolutly correct Jeff and ManOwaR
Well said. :)
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Return to Builder Threads