Banner Ad 1

seaquest hull plan drawings

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby boatbuilder1 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:38 am

andy please send those marvelous pic directly to me I am having firewall issues and can view pics on the web in posts
strange but true darned modern contrivances he he

thanks chuck
canderson55@wi.rr.com
charlie

Time is a fleeting idea of man's invention.
its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby sam reichart » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:17 am

Hey Andy-
beautiful model of a pretty complex design...who's the master pattern maker?
Sam
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:07 pm

Chap called Andy Cox. Don't think he is a member of any sub organisation, and he isn't online as far as I'm aware.

He is a professional pattern/model maker, which explains the very high standard of workmanship.

There was talk of a kit at some point, but the price was, unsurprisingly, rather high. Around £2000 I think, roughly $3500 dollars at the present exchange rate....ouch!

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby boatbuilder1 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:14 pm

ouch ouch ouch :(
charlie

Time is a fleeting idea of man's invention.
its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby petn7 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:52 pm

but like they say, you get what you pay for
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby TK-7642 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:44 pm

what are those rudder things for and why do they move in and out?
TK-7642

Postby Sub culture » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:39 am

I'm pretty sure the Seaquest was based on a whale, judging by the shape.

The tail (rudders) at the back, act as a hydrodynamically flowed exit to the four pump jets located within. When a strong burst of power is required, they open out and the jets have an unhindered path to push as much wet stuff as possible.

It's probably highly inefficient in the real world, but then Sci-fi boats only have to look the part, don't they?!

Andy

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:20 pm

A whale? Take a look again.

That sucker's a squid 100% through and through. The front is arrowheaded like the squid, and the "fins" aren't fins, they're TENTACLES!

The thought that I had when considering an RC Seaquest was to have those tentacles act as rudders and dive planes. Push out the right tentacle, the drag causes the sub to go right. Want to go up? Lever out the top tentacle to force the aft end down... I think for even greater performance you could array them in the X-tail configuration rather than the cruciform one and use a mixer for even better performance.

Just my two cents worth.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby USS Silversides » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:05 pm

What do ya know? That's pretty nifty! :cool:
USS Silversides

Postby Wbnemo1 » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:58 pm

Yeppers,
Speilberg was,and still is,a big fan of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,so his Bio-Organism skinned ship is based on a giant squid. It even used jets of water for propulsion. There are four primary nozzels and 4 secondary ones. The rear fins do actually move inward and outward to provide the turning capability,though water jet side thrusters expediate the process. The fins possess some sort of ventral vanes as well..really like the ship .The primary function of these "rudders" seems to be for at rest and for cruising to keep the Seaquest from going fast,they are "branched" or extended out...when the are "back" or in,this is for going max speed ,kind of along the lines of the Torando or F-14 Tomcat wings idea.......... started a cad drawing years back as i was aquiring reference on it..still am...............have most views finished now....but an ongoing process
William

Edited By Wbnemo1 on 1071356864
Wbnemo1

Postby TK-7642 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:18 pm

Could they be for vectored thrust? Also they seem to have internal vanes like a v2 missle.
TK-7642

Postby Michael Laubach » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:41 am

Those Pictures were incredible. After looking at them, I think that it would be a very difficult project to make this model type truly R/C. I find it interesting that it is placed next to a Seaview model which is a very difficult Sub to make in the R/C mode. I am referring to a smaller scale of seaview here.

The first question is how would you propel this sub. If you do incorporate pump jets, they have to supply enough water to move the sub. This means placing some good sized holes in the hull itself to feed such a pump jet. The seaview I made, incorporates pumpjets. You have to cut out many water fill holes to feed enough water into the pump jets to provide adequate propulsion.

The other question would be how to direct the ship above and below the water? The pics show how the tail opens up. I don't think that you really could use those surfaces only for directional attitude. I don't think that there is enough surface area to make a difference.

I think that the only possible way of propelling such a sub ( and keep it looking close to the original) would be possibly making a special type of WTC that would look like a cross at the end. You could have three motors, one port, one starboard, and one aft. The two on the sides would not be as powerful as the one in the rear. The two on the sides could direct the boat starboard and port. The one in the rear could incorporate a similar configuration as the seaviews pumpjet that dave merriman did on the deboer seaview, with the stern planes extending from the rear propulsor tube. This is only one idea that comes from a newbie. If someone were to get this sub operational, my hat is off to them, and my utmost respect.

Michael J.
Michael Laubach

Postby Sub culture » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:42 am

Making the Seaquest work?

A challenging prospect indeed.

As already mentioned, vectored thrust from the water jets would be the answer to pitch and rudder control.

Additional jets could be hidden amongst the plethora of vents in the hull design, for extreme manoeuvres (definitely a good idea on a boat this size!).

As Bob said, the tail pieces could be used to act as rudders and vanes, but better in addition to the vectored thrust- the two would make a good combination.

Regarding feeding the thrusters, I think that is self explanitory from the pictures- it will suck in through the vents moulded into the hull.

Whether that is sufficient remains to be seen.

Cheers

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:06 pm

A few bilge pumps connected by hose might propel this ship.
The bilge pump intakes are not that large and and would form an intersesting orfice on the surface of this exotic looking vessel.
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Television and Movie Submarines