Banner Ad 1

Trumpeter Seawolf with BD WTC

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Trumpeter Seawolf with BD WTC

Postby Klems » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:23 pm

I started this little project as a "dare" by one of my Naval Science instructors who happens to be a submariner. I got most of my pre-build information from other Seawolf builds here and kinda mixed and matched them to my tastes.

These little 1/144 kits from Trumpeter are great as they are fairly well detailed, a decent size, and CHEAP. Good for a college student like me.

The Water Tight Cylinder is from Dave "BigDave" Welch. http://www.frontiernet.net/~bwelch/ I opted for this design as I'm not a fan of gas systems and would rather just run the ballast off my battery.

To fix some of the inaccuracies of the kit and to make the control surfaces functional, I bought the Caswell fittings kit. http://www.caswellplating.com/models/seawolf.html

Here was how the WTC came to me: (in many pieces of course)

I followed the directions on the CD that Dave included in the kit and just chugged away over Christmas break.
Servo mount out of Plastruct:
Eventually, I finished the WTC and pressure tested it:

After that, I started on the hull:

At this moment, I have 5 things left to do.

1. Finish putting in the latch system.
2. Do the forward WTC mounts.
3. Smooth out the hull.
4. Trim her out.
5. Paint away!

With the painting, I noticed on http://navsource.org/ that with the Seawolf class, they did away with the red anti fouling paint and the underside is gloss black due to the rubber tiles. So, I'm thinking of going with that paint scheme: everything above the waterline is flat black, and everything below is gloss black. I haven't done any serious painting before, so no weathering for me.

I have a question about the ballast though. Right now, I am using lead shot I got from a scuba diver bag weight. This is a total pain in the butt to glue all those suckers in there. Does anyone know where I can find a thin roll of lead and cut out whatever weight I need? Ive seen them on other member's subs, but I just can't seem to find any.
Klems

Postby Wayne Frey » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Check out the thread in this section where I built the same setup you are doing.
I used Caswell's fittings and the same RCAB setup from Big Dave you are using.
There is also a video in the Subron 5 link showing the finished deal, working perfectly.
It got damaged on the way back from California, but I got the replacement pump jet today, and will be back in action in short order.
But, I agree, it is really, really,really nice!!!!
I like the way you think :)
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby junglelord » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:22 pm

I do not know where to find the lead, but I just wanted to say that I really love the pictures and the build.
Cheers
Dean
junglelord

Postby petn7 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:40 pm

Nice job!
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:26 am

Lead??
A lot of it is wheel weights, anywhere tires are sold. The shot, or tiny balls of lead can be had where reloading supplies for shotguns can be found.
I used the D&E saddles to retain the reverse RCAB in the hull as stops for the forward/backward movment. Works just like it were made for RCAB!
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Klems » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks for your input guys!

Just a little update from today. I started painting the hull halves flat black, but ran out just as I was starting on getting some of the smaller sections. Do'h! Oh well, off to the hobby store tomorrow.

Here is how she is turning out:

In the last picture, you can see the ballast weights I've started installing. They are comprised of 2x8 interlocking "bricks" of lead shot that I hand make. These are then siliconed into the bottom of the hull. Seems to be working so far, just kinda a pain to make.

I still haven't decided on a paint scheme. so I'm still looking for ideas.
Klems

Postby wlambing » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:12 pm

Except for touch-up and maybe sea growth type weathering, you're ther! The 1:1 scale ones are all black.

Take care,

Bill
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Bill is most definitely correct.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby xxl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:18 pm

looking good
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Postby U552 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:51 am

Please, a pic of the wtc inside the hull. I've this sub fitted with D&E subdriver (first series of it and, though working good, I think that the ballast tank finally is too much forward), and am thinking about building a new one (yes, the kit is very very cheap) with RCBAS, due to the unlimited ammount of divings you can make, or re-fit the actual with Big Dave WTC.
U552

Return to Builder Threads