Banner Ad 1

Book on the Alfa

A discussion forum for books and other printed matter dealing with submarines. Registered forum users are encouraged to submit their own book reviews!

Postby Britt Boyette » Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:15 pm

About a year ago, there was a book that came out on the Alfa. Other than a few pictures I've seen, I still have yet to find a copy. Does anyone know where or how to aquire a copy?

Thanks
Britt Boyette

Break Like The Wind Racing
Britt Boyette

Postby ThorDesign » Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:48 pm

Hi Britt,

I ordered 5 copies a little over a year ago from armybook.com. I received only one copy and a note from armybook stating that the book was no longer available and that the copy I had received was their last. I have also tried to order the same book out of eastview publications with no luck. If I run on another copy I will let you know.
ThorDesign

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:31 pm

In placing a different order from armybook.com, I asked if the alfa book was still avalible.They said yes.Antoine has one on order that should be gettin to him soon.We will see if they come through.
Shipping does take forever.But we should wait and see what happens.Matt should have gotten his a long time ago.
Mine jumped to treasured status and the family knows not to touch it.Best book on the Alfa I have ever seen.The only book on just the alfa.
My thanks to Matt for guidence there.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:05 pm

In checking with Antoine,he said his does not show shipped yet.He has been waiting quite some time for his.
I think I will lock mine in a safe. ???
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Britt Boyette » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:38 pm

Wow, wouldn't you like to have the copyrights to that book! Who knows, it might be a contender on the New York Times best seller list. Is the book in Russian or has it been translated?
Britt Boyette

Britt Boyette

Postby ThorDesign » Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:43 am

Wayne,

I have an order with armybook that has been in the "in process" status for over 6 months and it still has not changed. Let me know if you receive your alfa book or if Antoine gets his and I will chase after the rest of my copies I ordered. I have passed my only copy around to several SC members and it is in very poor shape now.
ThorDesign

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:58 am

The book is in russian.Fortunately,my wife is russian,and can translate it for me.After hearing about Matt's wait,I worry about future avalibility.My other order from army books.com was for different books,so we shall see if Antoine gets his,and Matt too.The binding glue for the pages is not very good.After opening it a dozen times,the pages are starting to want to come loose.I now do not open it unless I have to.
I did scan the pictures to disc.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Britt Boyette » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:01 am

Did you happen to make extra copies? :)
Britt Boyette

Britt Boyette

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:12 am

I got this one from www.eastview.com about a year ago.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Britt Boyette » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:50 am

I just placed an order. Thanks Tim! I just hope they have it in stock. I'll let everyone know the outcome of my quest.
Britt Boyette

Britt Boyette

Postby Britt Boyette » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:04 am

I just got a reply from East View and they say they are currently out but expect them in within 30 days. I'm not going to hold my breath. ???
Britt Boyette

Britt Boyette

Postby Britt Boyette » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:33 am

Good news, it just shipped from East View on 10-31-03. Looks like they are back on the market. :)
Britt Boyette

Britt Boyette

Postby Britt Boyette » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:36 pm

I got the book today from East View. It came all the way from Moscow and arrived in perfect condition. Now, I just wish I could read Russian. :)
Britt Boyette

Britt Boyette

Postby kd6hq » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:42 am

Are there enough pictures / diagrams etc.... to make it worth it anyway?
Don

Keep the faith.....
kd6hq

Postby ThorDesign » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:41 am

There are a lot of pictures. I found it worth the wait and money. It provided the proof I need to validate the creeper motors and left handed prop. With the release of the Wayne Frey photos and the photos and plans from the book, we are retooling the 1/72nd Alfa hull completely. The new pattern includes a modified bow, stern, sail and hull tapers. Thanks to Wayne for providing the final keys to making a correct Alfa hull.

I, also, just recieved the new photo and plan book on the Russian Boomers courtesy of the same folks who published the Alfa book. The book is incredible and had LOTS of detail on the Russian boomers with foldout B/W plans of every class of boomer including the SSGN(Oscar as well.) Very welll worth the 6 months wait for the book. I ordered mine through armybook.com. Several photos show detail of the underbellys, props, and reactor intakes.
ThorDesign

Next

Return to Sub Books