Banner Ad 1

radio make/model recommendation?

Please use this forum to ask those "how to" questions on using all the interesting features available with our new forums.

radio make/model recommendation?

Postby Crisp » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Hey Subcommitteites ('subcommitteens'? 'subcommitteators?')

This is probably a loaded question as everyone's likely got their own brand allegiances, but can anyone who's got experience across a few brands and models recommend an ideal radio for me?
My old Ace R/C transmitter got lost in the mail, and I wasn't terribly thrilled at the look & feel of the system anyway. So I'm in the market for a replacement radio system for my sub, the "Sir Frankie Crisp". (yes, I'm still working on it off & on, and lost a lot of components in a USPS disaster)
Reqs: 7 or more channels, surface frequency with the option to switch out the crystals, twin-stick throttle would be nice but not mandatory. Prefer new, but used is fine as long as it's never been dunked. Am not rich.
The Robbe F-14 looks promising, but looks expensive and I was never that thrilled by any other Robbe electronics products (namely their motors) and the hobby store guy said both they and Ace generally suck. The Futaba FASST technology sounds great, but am not able to spend for a radio what I usually spend on a car.
Ebay seems awash in arbitrary technology from jaded ex-helicopter fanatics, and I'd prefer an educated opinion from anyone in the submarine hobby venue for which it's needed.

many thks! BB

Crisp

Postby Scott T » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:25 pm

I am no help on your radio question.
But would like to know if this is the same sub
featured in a previous SCreport?
I Like the fantasy type subs. Yours looks
pretty cool.

-Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Your lucky day. A new in box F14 going cheap on Subswap-

http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/ ... hp5?t=8462

BTW I don't think Futaba products suck at all. they're good solid sets, never had a bit of trouble from any of my Futaba gear.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Thanks for the SubSwap FYI!

Postby Crisp » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:14 am

Hey Sub culture, hey Scott T., how's it going,

WOW! Great! Thanks very much for the notice on the F-14! I'll look into it ASAP.
I hope I didn't imply that I hated Futaba products. I agree with you, I like them too. It was the Ace RC radio and various Robbe electronics products I've bought over the years that left me 'underwhelmed overall,' as it were. The FASST Futabas are just too pricey for me.

As for Scott T's Q: Yes, the "Sir Frankie Crisp" (the Moebius sub) was featured in a Subcommittee article several years ago. I spent most of the article whining, basically. Spare yourself.
Oh, and I had a 15-mins-of-fame moment in the "2001: a Sub Odyssey" video. It was all of 1 1/2 minutes from a rich 2-hour production, (1 1/2 minutes' worth was all I could muster) which included my inaugural shakedown cruise in the old Navy pond. The sub performed understandably poorly considering my skills at the time. But it was a blast, and she'll be running smooth when I'm done with her.....eventually.

Sub Culture: thanks again. I gotta do a little research on the F-14. Hopefully it'll still be there.

cheers,
BB
Crisp

Return to Forum Tips & Tricks