Banner Ad 1

Fun run this Sunday, Jan 11

Eastern US Coast Local Chapter - Lower New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, D.C., Virginia.

Fun run this Sunday, Jan 11

Postby subdude » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Okay guys, it's time once again for the monthly fun run at the YMCA in Shrewsbury. You're all rested, and I'm sure all the boats have been given a complete going-over during the Christmas holidays, so they should be ready to go! If you've never been it doesn't get any better. Clear water, easy access, and good friends.

Place and time as always, Shrewsbury YMCA, Sunday from 10:00 until 13:00 with lunch following somewhere nearby. If you want to meet earlier, the Ship-To-Shore coffee place across the street is nice, welcomes us, and opens at 09:00.

I spent Sunday afternoon with the Task Force 50 group, and several of them ## promised ## that they would be there this time. Hopefully they'll come through. There were a few new guys at the TF50 meeting who I don't have email addresses for. Would someone please remind them of the details?

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you all Sunday!

Jim
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:24 pm

There will be a certain Seehund prowling the pool looking for targets. :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Great time today!

Postby subdude » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:56 pm

We had a great turnout of guys to brave the cold today. It’s really not TOO much bravery, since the pool is a balmy 82 degrees, both air and water temperature! This month we had new boats, new faces, and an excellent time.

Dave showed up with his brand spankin’ new Thunder Tiger Neptune, all of 2 days old. Initial sea trials went pretty well, with a few minor bugs to be worked out. Dave’s writing an article for The Report on the boat, so stay tuned for that info. Looks like a great way to get an “all up” boat in the water quickly and economically.

Jeff came with his faithful 1/9 OTW Seehund. I cannot begin to tell you what a joy that boat is to watch run, it’s flawless. Just hangs by the scopes, and patrols the waters looking for unsuspecting vessels. Simply beautiful.

Don was there with his little speedboat, and is threatening to actually have a sub in the water soon. We’re working on him to get it done, and come to the regatta.

Jim W had his “cub subs” along, and just continues to refine them. Jim built these boats last year for our now annual outing at a Cub Scout Jamboree, where SubComEast exhibits boats, and lets the scouts take a turn at driving them. I’d love to see more SubRons get involved with this type of activity. Show the kids that there’s more to life than video games!

Ron was at the helm of his usual sailboat.

John showed up with what had to be the smallest pushboat (tug) I’ve ever seen. I swear the thing was no more than 6” long. When the battery quit. I ran under it with my trusty Batfish, blew the tank to surface, and picked the pushboat up on the conning tower deck to bring it home.

Along with Batfish, I had my 1/32 PT along for some depth charge runs.

A few onlookers and hangers-on dropped by to watch the crazies with the toys in the pool. Rich, the aquatic director of the Y came by with his kids, and promptly got handed the transmitter of a cabin cruiser to help the kid’s pilot around the pool.

As always, here’s a group shot of the usual suspects.

L to R seated Don, Jeff, Dave. L to R standing Ron, Jim W, Jim B

Anyone in the neighborhood, please join us sometime. New faces ALWAYS welcome!
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubComEast