Banner Ad 1

Charlie's Fleet boat build

South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida Local Chapter

Postby RickNelson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:14 pm

Nice work on the fairwater, Charlie. Keep it up.
Rick Nelson

Qualified in Submarines 1965
SCM #2583

"D..n the pressure, Six-Zero feet!"
"Most men would rather die than think, Most of them do!" - Bertrand Russell
"Boomers hide with Pride"
RickNelson

Postby Rogue Sub » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:20 am

If memory serves me right I believe that thing runs on a 7.2v pack. A smart man would look at the motors :) If its one of the older style cylinders it will have graupners in it.

Trackers work great. I only have one radio for all my boats.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby g2tiger » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Rick,

Thanks! If it were not for you I would not have done such a good job. You provided the inspiration. Still a bit more to do. I did some compromise to (I hope) account for the R/C usage but we will see.

I have a 5inch deck gun on order and I have a ordered the 40 as well. I hope to make the model of the Cod as she is today but I will not have the deck rails as they will be too fragile for the handling the model will have to endure.

So Kevin, Where and how much for a tracker radio?
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby RickNelson » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:07 pm

I'm glad I could help Charlie. Your ship will be a show-stopper. I'm pleased when someone attempts to put some added detail into their RC subs. Sometimes we just concentrate on the RC aspects.
Rick Nelson

SCM #2583

RickNelson

more shots of Cod

Postby g2tiger » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Here are a few extra shots of the work.
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Sorry

Postby g2tiger » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Sorry got to take the shots. I already posted some. The next shots will be without the putty filler and the tower mote or less complete.
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby g2tiger » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:43 pm

OK,

Here they are hot off the press! I have just finished making the extra hand holds on the hull. These are the extra ones currently found on the Cod in the photo book. The total set is four separate sets with two sets forward and two aft of the fair water.

I used a tool from Micro mark to bend the 1/8 brass tube in such a way as to make the same basic shape as the steps. I then used a candle and heated the tube which I pressed into the hull. Once the tube went through the plastic I scraped and sanded to verify the shape.

Let me know what you think.

g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby RickNelson » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:49 pm

Your steps look very good, Charlie. Every little bit adds character. :D
Rick Nelson

SCM #2583

RickNelson

Postby g2tiger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Well,

Not much happened during the Christmas time. I did do some work on the deck guns. I currently have the Nautilus Models 5 inch deck gun and it is a good kit. I have been working on the running gear and discovered that the kit supplied propellers are both clockwise rotational. Somewhat disappointing but hey I can live with it for now.

I did a rewire of the WTC as far as the electric motors goes. The wire supplied was un-sat in my opinion and I upgraded to some better stuff I had laying around. I watched the DVD's again and discovered a few things I had forgotten and a few new things. One thing I need to try out is to mount the pitch keeper as it is shown in the video. I had always put it flat.

Here are a few shots of the hull now in primer and with most of the blemishes and body work corrected.

g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Hey Charlie! Looking good there. Hope to see it up and running soon. You and Al Nuci can form a wolf pack! Then all you will need is 6 or 7 Marus to shadow and attack. In my humble opinion I wouldnt worry too much about counter-rotating propellors. It wouldnt make any difference anyway as to how the boat runs(I dont think). The only people who would notice are yourself and any purists who happened by. :D
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby oldmscle » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:55 pm

Looking really good charlie. I like the changes you made and those deck guns look great. Are you planning to make the railing out of brass? The plastic railing that comes with this kit are really flimsy and I doubt they'll last. I have a feeling I'll be replacing mine before too long....If I ever get back to my Gato. The Type VII is a priority for me right now.

Keep up the good work and ...more pictures! :D

Lyle
Failure Is Not An Option
oldmscle

Postby g2tiger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:21 pm

:)

Well,

Mike Wilson and I have a little shop of horrors going on in my shed. There are many torn apart subs in there all awaiting their turn under the torch. As for the Cod I have begun installing the servos and electronics. I also rewired the motors with heavier gauge wire which is red and black.

The frame that the servos mount to appears to flex when I operate the servos and I am concerned. Also the seals are very tight. So about two weeks ago (when I last worked on it) I installed the rods into the seals with White Lithium grease and let them sit. I hope this will help the seals loosen up a tad and keep them from sticking like they were. I forgot I had silicone grease. Any thoughts on which grease?

More later, thanks for the compliments!

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby g2tiger » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:53 pm

OK, as promised some new info.

I have been hard at work in the subworks shop and have come to this conclusion. I do not like the fabrication as much as I do the building of the plastic or modeling part. That said I have nearly completed the WTC. I still need one more servo I think, also I really need a six channel radio more.

I had a lab assistant come help. He was more than a hand full even after he had a long walk. In the close up of the wtc you will notice the clevis connectors (I think they are called that). these made the servos much more efficient and allowed the servos to move easier.

Mike Wilson stopped by and we worked on his sub and Mike is hopeful he can get a running sub for the regatta. we shall see. I on the other hand am trying to stay in budget and doubt that $0.09 is a realistic budget. Enjoy the photos and let me know what you guys think.

Charlie

g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:23 pm

Your assistant looks very helpful, but he doesn't look like a Lab!
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby g2tiger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:00 pm

Art,

My assistant is a PBGV or Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen is pronounced "Puh-TEE Bah-SAY Gree-FOHN VON-day-uhn." The name describes the basic characteristics of the breed as:

Petit: Small
Basset: Low to the Ground
Griffon: Rough Coated
Vendéen: Region in France Breed Originated

Also they are excellent thieves. Huck can swipe something off the coffee table right in front of you and you can be watching him and you have no idea you just lost you PBJ!
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to SubComDeepSouth