Starting to make some head way on my little Alfa project again.
I now started making the rudder master.
First I cut out two blocks of MDF and then painted one side of one of the MDF block blue. In the pictures i used a piece of particle board so you get the idea.
I did this to provide me a permanent center line on my master regardless how how much I sand the piece. This is extremely useful when trying to create a piece that is symmetrical.
Next I cut out the picture of the rudder i wanted to create. The real rudder has a much larger base where it flares into the hull. This of course would be ridiculous on a full flying rudder so I trimmed it down a bit.
Here you can see the indexing line I mentioned.
I then transferd over the my desired ellipses for the shape and hit the belt sander. After a little bit of time on the belt and some hand sanding I hit it with primer and got this.
And here is how it looks on the boat.
Note the master is a bit over sized to compensate for the shrinkage that will happen with the resin and tin based rubber I am using for the master mold.
Next I will clean up the edges of the rudder and scribe in the details after another layer or 2 of primer.
I will then redo the masters for the stern planes to include a independently cast control plane.