Banner Ad 1

George Washington Help

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

George Washington Help

Postby STARK » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:47 pm

I am looking to ask you guy's out their with General Data and photo documentation for the George Washington Class Submarine to be posted here, or sent to me on Disk. I have been giving a Skipjack hull by David Merriman to build one for myself or as a kit later. This will be in 1/96th scale, and Dave has offered up a folder on the subject that will be of great use to me.

I still like to ask for any help you guy’s can give, in the photo you see what I am starting out with, a Great base to work from, should be 100’ section added to the center of the boat, then a Missile Deck, New Sail & control surfaces, simple right? But just another boat that I have a interest in and hope you guy’s can help out with as time go’s buy.

Thanks
Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby Crazy Ivan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:13 pm

Brian,

While not the Washington, here are a couple pix of the Roosevelt, which is the same class, to start things off. The 598 class was 381.5 ft long, vs the Skipjacks, which were 252 ft. so the insert is actually 129.5 ft. These photos show an aspect of the conversion which is generally ignored by most modelers of this subject. That is, the Skipjack hull was 31.5 ft. in diameter, while the insert was 33 ft. The union was not concentric but was made flush at the keel, with the 1.5 ft. offset at the top, where the bulk of it was hidden beneath the turtledeck. By zooming in on these photos, you can just make it out just fore and aft of the missile tubes.

(Firefox users Right Click and select "View Image" for larger view.)

George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:14 am

Very good this is what I need to know, I'm a sucker for the detail Ivan! I herd 130' v 100' section to make the boat longer, Dave hs all the info I'm sure but more One gathers for all sources can help with the final build. Photos tell a thousand tales for me and these two are new for me!

Thanks Ivan
Brian
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby Crazy Ivan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:28 pm

No problem, Brian. I'll see what else I have. This was a favorite boat of mine. Here are much higher res versions of the above:

George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Return to Builder Threads