I'm building a new WTC for my Kilo. In the process I also replaced the hull, so it is a
whole new Kilo.
Things improved (hopefully)
- turning radius. I made the whole rudder assemby into a rudder, not just the original
- Less diveplane surface. It now only moves it's flaps. The previous had the whole
dive plane movable.
- faster ballasting. while nifty, the previous servo tank took too much time to flood.
This one uses a much quicker special-purpose servo.
- better waterline. The previous ballast tank was too small. the new one is almost
double the size.
- better access. no more bolts to unscrew, just one knob.
add ons :
- I plan navigation lights, powered by a set of small batteries (like the one in your watch)
this will be housed separately in the tower (using up that precious extra ballast volume)
The WTC itself is still standard DIY PVC thin walled drain pipe, the endcaps are
standard PVC end caps, mutilated with a lathe.