Banner Ad 1

Project Nautilus 571

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Project Nautilus 571

Postby STARK » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:30 pm

Well it has been a long time now since I did any thing to this model, I had been buying material to work the deck and fitting plans’ photos together to get this part of the work done.

As I did 13 years ago on the first scratch build Nautilus I have done the same method on this one, but I have taken more time to ensure this one is much better that the copies floating around out their today. Buy this I mean it is going to be more accurate than the first, this time around I had three sources of photos to go on.
Pete Piekarski, Chris Nutting, and James Christly all sent me what they had taken or did some research for the effort! Steve Neill even stopped his plan to scratch build a Vac kit of the boat so I would not be out sourced in my effort to sell a few one day! Thanks Steve!!

With the deck blocked down to the height needed so the Plastruct preformed plastic sheet could be CA on the deck, it was a simple matter of re establishing the Datum line of the model for center placement of the material. I used Thick CA for this job to give me time for proper placement & to lock it down tight!

With each section in place I taped over the plastic to protect it form sticky fingers, I can’t tell how many times in the past I learned the hard way until I took the 5 second step! With all for sections in place I trimmed off the excess plastic form the deck and blocked edge to the superstructure. With that done I went to my plans and a 1/96th measuring ruler to begin the placement of detail in pencil to the deck. Again with the center line measured and a Mechanic’s square in front of the bow to pull length from, all the placement of the hatches, cleats, torpedo loading doors, and such can be place very precisely!

MORE TO COME

Brian

[img]
The begining of the build post can be seen at SP.
What one Man can do, You can do too!

http://forum.model-marina.com/
STARK

Postby raalst » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:56 am

very Nice.
Love to see how you craft that deck from a slab of plastic.
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:26 am

It has been a long time. :roll: :roll: :D
Go Brian Go! Go Brian Go!! 8)
The 571 is my favorite sub of all time!!!!! BD.
BTW- Small children my want to overt their eyes :shock: but here is a photo of the Big Guy himself stuffed in between the 571 props in Groton.
Kind of makes me look small. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

My fan club :oops: But thanks guys it simple to do and this starting over was the best thing to do with this model, I like her to be SWEET!

Like X-Mass she's a comming, along with a few others I think.

Brian

STARK

Postby Pirate » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Brian,
Great to see you working on this boat again. I wondered what happened to it. I love this boat too. It's a beauty. When I was a kid this is the sub I fell in love with. It's modern, but has all those cool deck details and protruding hatches and such that just can't be found on modern nukes. Can't wait to see it in person.

Also, glad to see you back here posting on the SC site again.

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:59 pm

You’re right on about the Sub having had Character, and making records when under way too. She was my first scratch build and I am glad to be bringer her back. I worked all weekend on & off on the model and will bring in an update Wednesday if I can, tomorrow will be a long day for us all I think.

I glad to be Posting here again too! Thanks Pete!! :wink:

Brian

STARK

Postby STARK » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:26 pm

So the deck was on the model and all was going to plan, my first idea was to simply tape off the different details, apply glaze, remove the tape, then sand down the glaze. And then just like before scribe the outside edges of each hatch and such. This had worked before but damn it took a lot of time and every little mistake with over sanding or scribing, just would make more work!

So I removed the deck from the model and decided to try another way that hit me one night, this time I would remove all the hatches and lockers from the deck before gluing her down to the model! When doing this I had noticed that my measuring was off from the plans and photos, but I caught this before any cutting was done.

The super structure roll from the side, too the deck planks was done the same on this model as before. For this the deck planks are set in about two feet from the roll, then taping over my deck plastic I used glaze to fill in the depth difference between the side edge and the deck plank's. After sanding the roll of the Superstructure I applied a light prime to show and pinholes. Very light so that none of the deck plastic is filled in at any time.

The deck hatches, lockers, and such were kept to the side when I cut them out, these will be sanded/filed to fit each detail void for the right gap between the deck plank and hatches detail, then glued in place later. Tonight I one more step closer to the end product here, and almost wishing for PE deck instead!

MORE TO COME

Brian

STARK

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:05 pm

Brian,

Very nice work. Will this be a kit that you would be offering or just a one-off?

You mentioned a photo-etched deck...you are definitely right, a PE deck would be very nice on that hull and wouldn't be nearly as difficult to make as for a U-boat.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:16 am

That sounds like an offer to me!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:16 am

Yes Jeff she will be a production model and a PE deck would look nice if your up to it, I will send you the deck plan.
I will however continue along with this work. The last model I did the deck detail engraved like this turned out nice for not being PE. Other items like grates/grills for the bottom floods and radar screen will be needed too!

Pe set's for my sub models are a must have, and I am fooling around with some home effort, but the sheet work you get done are just wounderfull!!!

Thanks
Brian

STARK

Postby Bigdave » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:20 am

So Brian,
Whats new on the 571???? :D
We are going through withdrawl here!! :lol: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby STARK » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:01 am

Well I had planned to work her this past weekend, but got busy on Shop stuff and a general Lazyness. Then I have been working on the new Model Fourm http://forum.model-marina.com/ Witch I like very much to have your BD Hobby Room spot their, Like to have more of the builder types on board!

Brian

STARK

Postby cougar » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:15 am

brian...
get work there... what scale are you building it ? your 1/96 or 1/72. i am still working on mine at 1/72. but no where near what you have... i too am a 571 nut. been working on my 5 different models for the past 7 years
go deep or go home
cougar

Return to Builder Threads