Banner Ad 1

USS Seawolf Kit - ? actual paint scheme ?

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Seawolf » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:22 am

help needed here guys, anybody can suggest the closest to real Seawolf Class SSN-21 paint scheme ?

several model from the net shown, exactly half part of the upper hull is black and the rest is red...

other model shown almost 1/3 opper hull is black, a little light grey before the bottom red hull, thile the sonar bow is painted light grey ...

SOS here... ;D
Fiat - Jakarta (Indonesia)
sshhh.... rig ship for ultra silent..........
Seawolf

Postby bcliffe » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:49 am

You may want to post this under the general board.

You may want to consider the fact that the paint scheme changes. I have seen info showing black and grey as opposed to black and red. When I was building my model I elected for the following:

My Seawolf

I invoked the right of artistic creativity when it came down to the propulsor as I could find no indication to the correct scheme.

Cheers
BC
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Postby subdude » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:50 pm

I can tell you that when I was standing on her the week following commissioning, the sonar dome was a sable color, like milk chocolate. Rest of the boat, at least what was visable from the deck and pier, was all black.

Jim
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby Seawolf » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:34 pm

:)
bcliffe
uhm.. then I gotta contact the mod to move this thread to the general board ...
anyway .. I really prefer to have a Black and Grey model but also wanted to have a near to real color scheme, I mean, if the Black-Grey scheme is cool but not the real color then it is useless (to me) ..
btw.. very nice r/c subs bcliffe (hh... wonder when I'll have one) ...

subdude
u actually standing on her.. ? .. wow man, I envy you .. :D.. the front sonar dome was milk choco color .. so maybe it will be like the one presented by Blue Water Navy's model right ?

ah.. another detail question, when u're standing on her, does Seawolf class has any anti-slip area on her hull (area that strech from bow to stern ?)

thanks
Seawolf

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:05 pm

Yup, she has anti-skid in the expected locations.

And if someone is wondering, there are no individual anechoic tiles on her. Unlike the LA-class, they don't 'glue' the tiles on. Instead it poured on in sections....resulting in one single piece. Sort of like a big, ummm.....balloon. (you know what I mean! :laugh: )

Some place around here we've even got the photos to show we were on her.

Jim and I were extremely lucky. Our tour guide was the COB and he was so proud of his ship that we literally had a three +hour tour!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Seawolf » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:31 am

:D guys... great... the info were highly appreciated ... thanks, so she is the 'baloon' :D ... well.. I think this will effect the looks on her fading paint over the time...

some of the LA's or LA(i)'s pic I've seen has shown some fading or 'rust' in several area of the tile. This wouldn't be found on Seawolf class right ? ...

just curious.. does a civilian can have the opportunity to actually get close to Seawolf ? I mean, I'm a civilian and got no connection whatsoever with the Navy........
Seawolf

Return to Static Modeler