Banner Ad 1

Charlie's Fleet boat build

South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida Local Chapter

Postby g2tiger » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Hey,

Anyone have nay thoughts on replacement props (brass) and new shafts for the boat? Size and mfg would help.

Thanks,

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby g2tiger » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:57 pm

More on the Tower conversion

g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Anyone have nay thoughts on replacement props (brass) and new shafts for the boat? Size and mfg would help.

Charlie,

I made my Gato shafts from 1/8 brass rod, tin plated to simulate steel. My props are Raboesch 35mm Type A four blade from Engel. They worked out well.

George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby g2tiger » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:48 pm

I was considering some 30 mm from Loyalhann Dockyard and some threaded shafts that fit. Don tells me the shafts would be 1/8th inch and fit.

I have concerns about the metal in the Merriman kits because I'm a little rough on models. I ordered some SS shafts from Caswell today to get back on track and I can always change out the props and shafts later. But I will go to brass when the cash is there...
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:32 pm

wow you tined those whole things. Still dont get why you didnt just do SS.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Crazy Ivan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:51 pm

Because I didn't have any 1/8 SS on hand Kevin, but I did have plenty of 1/8 brass rod and 5 gallons of electroless tin plating solution handy. Thirty seconds in the tin bath does the trick very nicely. Good Lord, man! You didn't think I tinned those shafts with a soldering iron, did you? :shock:

BTW Charlie, I don't know about right now with the falling $ and all, but a couple years back I believe I paid just over $25 for the pair of props, including shipping over the Pond.
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby g2tiger » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:51 pm

I ordered some ss 1/8 shaft from Caswell Monday. I'll make my own for now and use the Merriman props. BTW I am in contact with Rick Nelson and he has said he would do what he can to help me with my Ct conversion.
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:17 pm

Crazy Ivan wrote:Because I didn't have any 1/8 SS on hand Kevin, but I did have plenty of 1/8 brass rod and 5 gallons of electroless tin plating solution handy. Thirty seconds in the tin bath does the trick very nicely. Good Lord, man! You didn't think I tinned those shafts with a soldering iron, did you? :shock:

BTW Charlie, I don't know about right now with the falling $ and all, but a couple years back I believe I paid just over $25 for the pair of props, including shipping over the Pond.

Uhh yeah i did...you win george
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby g2tiger » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:50 am

Kevin,

What ever did you do with that Kilo I sent you home with?
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:45 am

Well it is currently standing fast, whats up?
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby g2tiger » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:19 pm

More tower work to report. It isn't perfect but I think it will pass. I had to re-do some things based upon my emails with Rick Nelson and the USS Cod museum book that I purchased. I had to fabricate the braces for the radar mast and also rebuild some items. I built and installed some pieces to make the tower support legs look like steel beams and I also did the same around the scope braces.

g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby g2tiger » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Spent Saturday at the lake with Warren Wilson, Stuart T and Jack running the boats. Well they ran their boats and I ran my mouth :wink:

So I spent Sunday working on the 1/72nd scale model of the USS Cod. I did get the hull together. This required getting the aft prop struts aligned and once done I glued the bow and stern on. Then I glued on the deck pieces. I also worked on the tower. I ground off the molded in ammo cans and made new ones then attached the new units to match the photos in the USS Cod museum book. I also added the extra wide decking around the aft 40 and filled in the square door edges so they could be made round again. And I added the TBT and compass.

What do you think? Looking good, huh?

g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby g2tiger » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Here are the latest photos of the soon to be USS Cod.

The first photos is is my attempt to use evercoat to fill the gap. the stuff did not stick to the hull and peeled off like a rubber gasket. i could not get the evercoat to harden even with CA applied to suite me. I ended up using baking soda and Ca to fill the gap.

The next photos are of my initial placement of the tabs prior to gluing to the hulls. The next is a mast comparison followed by a fair water comparison. the last shots are of the filler putty prior to sanding.

g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:45 pm

dang charlie. How long till it hits the water.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby g2tiger » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:20 pm

Nuke,

Seams like it's taking FOREVER! I have just about everything lined up but need to put it all together. Servos and Radio may be a problem as well as connectors for the control of the planes and rudder etc. I don't really know what voltage the Merriman/Caswell WTC requires. I think 7VDC will work.

I still need a few deck pieces such as a 5inch deck gun, a second 40mm, and I was hoping to switch to brass props from Loyalhanna dockyard.

I am saving up some cash for a second Gato to use the tower on the Marlin as well.

What sort of prices and will a tracker radio work?

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to SubComDeepSouth