Banner Ad 1

Revell/Germany 1/144 U-boat colors; could use some help ...

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Revell/Germany 1/144 U-boat colors; could use some help ...

Postby rmfield » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:16 pm

I'm getting ready to assemble the paints for my RoG 1/144 Type VIIC. The color callouts do not appear to be Humbrol or any paints I recognize, thus some questions:

1) I've scoured the instructions and can't figure out what paint brand the callouts are for. Not Humbrol or Model Master, fer sure; ideas?

2) I'm going to model U-96: lightened "geshutzgrau, matt 74" on the upper hull, "granitegrau, matt 69" on the deck and "staubgrau, matt 77" on the lower hull. The only thing I've determined is that the deck is the darkest color, the lower hull a bit lighter and the upper hull the lightest of the three. Any suggestions for more specific colors?

3) The paint instructions also call out "grau, matt 57" for the interior walls of the tower. I would have thought it would be the same as the rest of the upper hull (with the deck the same as the main deck); are the instructions correct? Should the tower inside walls be lighter than the upper hull color?

4) BRASS propellers: Many modellers take great pains to weather their models to one degree or another. What about the propellers? I can't imagine that brass props would be all neat and shiny after weeks or months under water, but what would they realistically look like? Just flat (no shine)? Or would they also be somewhat corroded? How much?

This stuff was a lot easier when I was 10 and didn't know the difference! :^)

TIA for any help!
rmfield

Postby rabapla » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:41 pm

just a short reply:

Revell germany is notorious for promoting their own brand of colors. usually the instructions tell You to mix several of these, usually the tone isn't exact.

try this:

http://www.mille-sabords.com/forum/inde ... st&id=4696
rabapla

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:51 pm

My preference is the Testor ModelMaster line of paints.

Specifically for WW2 U-boats the colors Lichtgrau (RLM 63) for the above the waterline areas and Grün (RLM 72) for the below waterline areas are what I use. These are not *exact* matches for the fresh-from-the-can German RAL paint codes specified, but do represent those colors as very slightly weathered.

For the deck, I tend to use the same Grün, but a much darker grey...almost black works too. Since the deck typically weathered the quickest, the color would be all over the place, starting with the almost black of a fresh coat to the almost dark wood color when heavily weathered.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:17 am

You are painting a U-boat green?!
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Nope. No way!

In the ModelMaster line of paints, there are two colors labeled "Grün", one of them is a somewhat dark green. However the other one is just a dark grey.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Essayons! » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:23 am

If this isn't to late too add..Try White Ensign models. They have all the KM colors you need.
Randy
Essayons!

Return to Static Modeler