Banner Ad 1

New member saying "hello"

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

New member saying "hello"

Postby mickm » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:31 pm

Hello all,
I am a new member to the SubRon5 group, the SubCommittee and to the rc submarine community. I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and say,"hello".

My real name is Mike Martin, I am 55 and have been married to the same wonderful woman for 32 years. We do not have children but have enough hobbies as so not get bored. We live in Calhoun, Louisiana which is just outside Monroe. We are in the Northeast corner of the state and as far away from any sub modeler as possible. (just my luck)

I am a 3d Design Engineer for an aftermarket 4-wheel drive suspension system company.

I have built and flown large scale WWII Fighters for many years but have always been intriqued by the rc submarine. I purchased a Robbe U-47 a couple of years back, but never got motivated to build it and soon sold it.

My wingman (friend from work) retired a few months back and moved to Florida (bum!-lol) so my interest again has turned to rc subs.
After doing much more research, I have purchased a complete OTW Type VII Semi Kit.

I have spoken with couple of SubRon 5 members:

Wayne Frye; (he is actually from the same town as me)Wayne was very friendly and the first one to make me feel like the sub modeling group was a great bunch of guys.

Paul Crozier; Very friendy who welcomed me to join this group.Thanks Paul :o)

Since my passion is the Type VII, I found Ron Eichost's pictures on this site and took the initive to contat him for possible help. To say Ron and I hit it off would be an understatement. Ron is a fantastic guy and a very talented craftsman. He immediately took me under his wing and mailed more data and pictures than should be legal. lol A debt that I can never repay.

So there you have it, I hope to be an active member here and hope to make it to the BatFish next season.
I hope my boat will be ready but thus far I am moving at the speed of dark so only time will tell.

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this fine group.

Cheers!
Mickm
mickm

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:49 pm

Welcome aboard, Mike!

You have joined a great bunch of folks. Any questions that you might have around building your Type VIIC...both the details of the U-boat itself as well as the R/C parts.....just ask!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby mickm » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi Jeff,
Thanks :) You have been a vital source of information thus far. Due to your kindness and Type VII knowledge, I have you on speed dial.
Thanks again buddy,
Mickm
mickm

Postby BoomerFunker » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:03 pm

Hello Mike!

And welcome aboard. My name is Tom Kisler and I live in the uninteresting end of Nebraska (they all are) so I understand the bit about being the lonely sub modeler out in BFE.
I've been in the Subron5 for 5 years or so now and I can tell you it is not only a great bunch of guys but a superlative one. I have seen a couple of them drop everything, a whole weekend in fact, to get another members boat running and in the water.

Please keep us posted as to the progress of your Type VII here by all means, and DO try to make the event next year as they are always a blast wherever they end up being held. Again welcome aboard Mike.

Tom
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi Mike,

Good to see you on the boards!

Please post progress of you build as it proceeds as we all love to see how experienced modelers approach a project. Randy Chisum, a new member in Bryan, Tx, is looking at the OTW kit as well and I'm sure would benefit.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Hello, Mike!

Welcome! SubRon5 has great group of guys, and we have a lot of fun together! Paul, Tom, and Gail are very experienced, and are happy to help and teach others. You'll be amazed to Gail's engineering work and Tom's detailing and paint jobs are incredible!

It's amazing how small a world this is. I know several people from Monroe or West Monroe, even though I've never set foot there. Great folk, all of them!

The Type VII is a beautiful boat. I hope to build one someday. But right now I've got a Revel Gato kit that's begging me to get started on her...

Now that Paul has scouted out a great place to run in Houston, hopefully we'll be able to run over there on a quarterly basis. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you in person sometime soon!

Take it easy,

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby JefftyToo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:59 am

And from me too: Welcome Aboard, Mickm!

Looking forward to meeting you next summer -- with or without your boat in tow. We always have a great time together, so plan to join us wherever Paul holds the Sun N Fun next year . . . and at whatever stage your project's in!

Yeah, Ron's Type VII's gorgeous, ain't it?

Green Board,
JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon5